X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoffa
    • Nov 2004

Rumor of a new pre/pro?

Just been reading around this forum and i saw someone mention something about the halo controllers being "overhauled". Does anyone know of any new controller models coming out?

I just bought an A52 off audiogon (haven't got it yet). And I want get a (new) pre/pro. The new Arcam AVP700 (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-page-3.html) looks sweet, VERY little info about it though. I demoed Rotel RSP1068 a month or so back, and it blew me away, but i still want to see what is out there.
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

There's been a new controller released for the Classic series, but nothing yet for the Halo series. Nothing is being "overhauled," only that people are getting a little impatient over the extremely volatile release-date of supposed bug-free firmware updates.

The Arcam is a nice unit as well. Anything by the Brits is usually quite good. Except most of their pop-rock. =) The Arcam certainly doesn't look as sweet as the Halo's, and in the words of Napoleon Dynamite, would "never get any hot chicks," but it seems to have all the necessary features one would expect from a controller. The Rotel you were checking out is a fantastic bugger as well. I've listened to it once or twice for a good period of time, and it did nothing but impress me cover to cover.

Comment

• RJKuzma
      • Jan 2005

New analog PreAmp

Apparently Parasound is releasing a new Halo multi-channel analog preamp. It reportedly has two six-channel inputs for SACD/DVD-A, as well as stereo inputs. Estimated $1750 street price, to be available sometime this April. Channel separation is claimed to be 110dB at 20kHz! Check out Stereophile coverage of CES day 3

Comment

• goldear
        • Aug 2003

Wow! Looking at the brief description, it reminds me of the McCormack MAP-1...except it actually has two 7.1 analog inputs. This isn't a bad way to go if you have quality, source components.
        Chris B

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

A strictly audio (no video section) 2 channel/Multi-channel Pre Amp.

I love it! I'm sure I'll be picking one up. Definately fits a need for me.
          Tony

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by NMyTree
            A strictly audio (no video section) 2 channel/Multi-channel Pre Amp.

I love it! I'm sure I'll be picking one up. Definately fits a need for me.
            Hmmm... I think video selection is completely unnecessary too. I will never use those inputs/outputs, except for OSD (but I could just as well hook up my laptop to control it, so that is absolutely a non-issue).

However, I'm questioning whether the "strictly audio" also means that it will not be THX2 and that it will be missing a lot of the sound processing needed for home theatre... If not, I might actually consider replacing my C2 with this new component dedicated for sound reproduction!

An great idea, definitely. Let's hope it's able to replace the C2 feature-wise when it comes to sound-processing features

Peter

Comment

• goldear
              • Aug 2003

Peter,

If it's what I think it is, it won't have any processing/processors at all...except maybe a simple matrix like the McCormack does (which can be disabled). What I like about this design is that instead of upgrading your SSP when new technologies emerge, you just have to upgrade you source component...i.e. universal or dedicated player.

Many of the new players already have DD/DTS built-in so you would just use the processors in these units...keeping a minimalist approach to the sound. Of course if you go this route, you would want a quality player, which in some cases means big bucks...but hey, I've seen people with expensive SSPs and players.
              Chris B

Comment

• bhuskins
                • Aug 2003

Richard Shram took the time to show me the new P2 at CES and all I can say is, WHAT A COOL PRODUCT!

It's not for everyone, but it sure will be great for certian setups.

Brent Huskins
                Media Design

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

What I'm saying is, I hope that this P2 Pre Amp is a strictly 2 channel/Multi-channel Pre Amp, which I can use for DVD-Audio and SACD. For Music......Audio only. I'm hoping it has absolutely nothing to do with Home Theater......in any way, shape or form. Music only...CD...DVD-Audio...and....SACD.
                  Tony

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by NMyTree
                    What I'm saying is, I hope that this P2 Pre Amp is a strictly 2 channel/Multi-channel Pre Amp, which I can use for DVD-Audio and SACD. For Music......Audio only. I'm hoping it has absolutely nothing to do with Home Theater......in any way, shape or form. Music only...CD...DVD-Audio...and....SACD.
                    Well, I'm hoping for a C2 without the video switching crap...

Peter

Comment

• bhuskins
                      • Aug 2003

It's more along the lines of what Tony wants...it has no digital inputs, only analog. Sorry Peter...It's still very cool. For D/A conversion you'll have to rely on the player to perform that function.

Brent Huskins
                      Media Design

Comment

• bhuskins
                        • Aug 2003

Now that I think about it this thread title should be, "Rumor or a new pre? (not pre/pro)...there's no processing in the P2.

Brent Huskins
                        Media Design

Comment

• nicholtl
                          • Aug 2003

Haha, that's kinda funny. "Hey guys, I just got a new pree! Check it out, man!"

Comment

• NMyTree
                            • May 2004

Brent,

Will the P2 have Balanced inputs/outputs, or just RCA?
                            Tony

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Brent,

Did they mention anything about a Halo DVD player ?

Thanks,
                              Peter

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                                Brent,

Did they mention anything about a Halo DVD player ?

Thanks,
                                Peter

Yes, I'm also interested in any news on a Halo DVD Player!
                                Tony

Comment

• kwojciec
                                  • Jan 2005

Multichannel preamp?

Brett

I just want to make situation completely clear. This new Halo pre-? serves only
                                  as a preamplifier and provide you with better soundstage that any processor
                                  in this (or I like to think at least twice as much) price range. It has two 7.1
                                  inputs, so you can use one for your processor and other for the dedicated
                                  CD-SACD player (how about DVD-Audio). This seems as extremely nice solutions
                                  for those who actually are more into multichannel music than HT

best

kwojciec

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"