X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msasseville
    • Aug 2008

Parasound and Arcam: good combination?

Hi there,
    I was wondering between Halo A51 and Hallo A52. I think I made my mind about this. Now, something else:

I have an Arcam AVR 300, (100 Watts). Is there any one who have tried to match this AVR (as a preamp) to the Halo Poweramp (A51 or A52)? If so, how is it? I mean, would you say that the sound of an Arcam (English sound if this exists) is quiet different than the sound of a Parasound (American sound if this exists?)

How, if possible, would you compare the sound of a Parasound Halo poweramp to the sound of an Arcam (Poweramp or integrated). From what I can read in the reviews, both amp are very good, but what about the sound? Any major difference?

FInally to move to an amp of 100 watts to an amp of 125 watts: is it worthwile in terms of power. It seems that the Halo A52 is more (in real world) than 125 watts (on paper)? But eent if it is the case, will I see a significative difference (especially when I listen musicla shows on my big screen)?

Thanks in advance!

Michel
    Michel

Arcam AVR 300, B&W serie 700 front, B&W serie 600 back, DVDO Scan HD, Pioneer Elite PLasma 42", DVD player Rotel, CD player ARCAM 9
  • cameronl
    • Jul 2004

hi, I have an arcam A32.

I then bought a parasound A52 power amp.

For a while I used the A32 only as a preamp and used the A52 to drive my stereo speakers.

When using the A32 with the A52 power amp it was alot better sounding imo.

Several months latter I got the C2 processor and compared that to the arcam A32. Once again the C2/A52 combo was better than the arcam A32/A52 combo.

For the next year my arcam A32 was used only as a poweramp driving the rear 2 speakers in a 7.1 setup. That was latter replaced with an A23 though.

For several years I didn't use my arcam A32 much, but the last couple of years I have been using it to drive a stereo only system.

The C2/A52 combo is quite alot more detailed and powerful than the arcam A32.

The arcam A32 is lovely and laid back though. Driving my spendors I never get tired of listening to it.

You won't regret getting an A52 poweramp, but I would recomend you keep your arcam A32. The arcam can be used in many different ways and is great in stereo only systems.

CaM

Comment

• msasseville
      • Aug 2008

Dear CaM

Thanks a lot for your reply. But what I have is a AVR 300, not a A32. I appreciate your appreciation of Parasound A52, but I still wonder what diffrence it would make compared (and attached to as a poweramp) to my AVR 300.
      All the best.
      Michel

Arcam AVR 300, B&W serie 700 front, B&W serie 600 back, DVDO Scan HD, Pioneer Elite PLasma 42", DVD player Rotel, CD player ARCAM 9

Comment

• cameronl
        • Jul 2004

hi, yep - I know its the AVR300 but the A32 is all I've got for comparison.

assuming the A32 and AVR300 have roughly a similar sound in regards to the power sections then imo it would give a cleaner sound.

most importantly it would probably drive your speakers to there max potential. An arcam 125 watts is not as powerful as a parasound 125 watts imho.

also, it would be the first step in you getting a processor / poweramp combi

CaM

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"