X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhuskins
    • Aug 2003

Parasound shows 3 new Theater products under the Classic Line

As promised, Parasound has introduced 3 new Home Theater products under the classic line. They will be direct replacements for the AVC-2500u, HCA-2205AT and the HCA-1205A.

The new processor is the 7100 pictured here:

Here is the rear:

Here are the specs:

The 2 new 5 channel amps can be seen here with the 7100:

(fingerprints not included... :B :B :B )

Here is the rear of all 3:

(notice the new terminal layout and lack of fins everywhere)

Here are the specs of the smaller one - The 5125:

Here are the specs of the larger one - The 5250:

(and no...you don't need new glasses...my wife needs a tripod... :B )

Expect delivery to market as early as 30 days and as late as 90 days. More info later, but I figured everyone would like to see the pics.

Brent Huskins
    Media Design
  • nicholtl
    • Aug 2003

Wow, those are certainly gorgeous. Interesting that the new controller has features the Halo processors do not yet have, such as video upconversion, 3 component video inputs (C2 only has 2), and DPLIIx (but that will change soon). All THX Ultra 2 certified as well. Nice. No XLR inputs/outputs though, hahahaha.

Just curious. What are the MSRP's on these?

Comment

• bhuskins
      • Aug 2003

...and bass management on the 7.1 analog input...

The 7100 between 3K and 3.5K MSRP, the 5250 between 2K and 2.5K (I believe...for comparison the HCA-2205 retailed for 2K) and the 5125 for around 1.2K to 1.5K (and I might be more than a little off on the smaller amp...I didn't make notes on the prices.)

They also showed the matching 2 channel amps to complete a 7 channel system and those will be available at the same time.

Brent Huskins
      Media Design

Comment

• bhuskins
        • Aug 2003

Also notice the LARGE expansion slot for HDMI, etc. on the 7100 top left corner.

Brent Huskins
        Media Design

Comment

• TimRawson
          • Oct 2004

I was just about to ask about these (dealer mentioned it).

What will be the price point for the prepro, 2-2.5K to be competitive? Once 3K approached might as well go for the Halo C2.

Comment

• bhuskins
            • Aug 2003

The prepro model is the 7100 and pricing is above...it will likely street in the 2's though.

Brent Huskins
            Media Design

Comment

• nicholtl
              • Aug 2003

So I take it the massive chassis for the amps actually house smaller internal parts and transformers than appearance would suggest, since all the heat sinking must be done internally as well?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nicholtl
                So I take it the massive chassis for the amps actually house smaller internal parts and transformers than appearance would suggest, since all the heat sinking must be done internally as well?
                The peak current is notably lower compared to the A51. This suggests a smaller power supply and/or fewer output transistors. Compare the A51's 60A/400W to the 5250's 45A/350W. Either some of those 350W are bogus watts, or the 400W specification of the A51 is conservative. In any case the Ampère rating indicates that the A51 holds 25% more "juice".

Also, the absence of the massive heat sinks and the "low heat design" is a clear indication that these new amps won't operate in Class A to any significant wattage. Part of the reason for the massive heat sinks on the A51 is because of its 30 Watt class A operation. (Each of the 5 channels in the A51 operates in class A up to 6W).

Now where's that component OSD upgrade option for the C2 ??? :B

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Wow, cool. :banana: That 5-channel amp is a monster. I would have thought that the pre-pro would actually ship with digital video capability, but it looks like this is a future thing even for the new Parasound!

New Classis equipment is good news for us Halo guys, too, as it drives upgrades to our stuff. A lack of digital video presently is a little disappointing, though, as it might mean that a similar upgrade to Halo might not be as close as we thought!
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                    That 5-channel amp is a monster.
                    I beg to differ. The new 5250 is a powerful amp for average Joe that can't accomodate a monster. The 5250 is no longer the heat dissipating rack busting monster that its predecessor 2205 was and that the A51 still is.

Note that the 2205 is capable of 60 ampères per channel. The new 5250 simply cannot compete when it comes down to brute power. The lack of Class A operation may also be quite noticable.

On the other hand, the downgrade is understandable. The Classic series should of course not compete with the Halo line. There is probably also a demand for a powerful 5-channel Parasound amp that will fit standard installations. I think the 5250 will do well right there.

5250: Smaller size and low heat dissipation makes it fit standard racks. Installation is a snap.

A51: More power and pure class A operation makes for a better sounding amp. Awkward to seamlessly integrate into a big installation due to size and heat issues.

Peter

Comment

• Savannah
                      • Dec 2004

Parasound shows 3 new Theater products under the Classic Line

So these new products are they suppose to compete with the AVM 30s
                      of the world?

Comment

• Brian
                        • May 2004

Savannah,
                        Pretty much. And once the Halo updates start rolling out... well, you get the idea.

Comment

• boe
                          • Jul 2004

This has my attention. Any specs on the DAC for the 7100?

Comment

• boe
                            • Jul 2004

bhuskins - did they give you any info on the DAC? 96/24 or is it hopefully 192/24?

Thanks

Comment

• emillika
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by bhuskins
                              Also notice the LARGE expansion slot for HDMI, etc. on the 7100 top left corner.
                              Does Parasound have a good track record of utilizing expansion ports it puts in it's gear?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by emillika
                                Does Parasound have a good track record of utilizing expansion ports it puts in it's gear?
                                It has a good track record of providing hardware upgrades to the predecessor AVC-2500 (1999-2002), which did not have an upgrade slot. Because of this, some of the AVC-2500 upgrades required you to send back the unit for upgrades. The cost was also pretty high, for instace $500 for the HDTV-2500 component video upgrade. Here is a list of upgrades that were made available for the AVC-2500: http://www.parasound.com/service_inf...0uoptions.html (Some of these upgrades were included in the late AVC-2500u model).

AFAIK, the slot was new for the HALO C1 and C2 models released in late 2002 (no hardware upgrades are available yet). It looks like the CLASSIC 7100 now has a slot of the same size. That's good news. Since Parasound now has at least 3 products that are using the same slot, there are good chances that it will actually put it to use.

The reason for the expansion port is obvious: Parasound is probably aiming for hardware upgrades that can be upgraded by the customer. These new products already have software that can be field upgraded. Parasound is probably hoping to provide new feature additions on a plugin board that is field upgradable by the customer...

HDMI is IMHO a very good candidate for the expansion slot. Now only those that need it will have to pay :B (yea, you guessed right, I don't need it)

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Hey, once they release IT, whatever IT ends up being, I'm all game. Just twiddling my thumbs...
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• boe
                                    • Jul 2004

Hey - anyone else waiting for an update on this?

Comment

• nicholtl
                                      • Aug 2003

Patience, patience...

Comment

• GRB
                                        • Dec 2004

I'll take a set. Wrap 'em up. :B

Comment

• boe
                                          • Jul 2004

I saw the unit at CES but it was in an open booth so it couldn't be auditioned. I asked about the DAC but they didn't know anything about it. I should have written down which was which but I believe it has an incremental volume control. I prefer the smooth ones but I'm sure there are people out there who feel the opposite.

Comment

• boe
                                            • Jul 2004

Here is the info I got on the DAC in case anyone else besides myself cares -

NXP is a global semiconductor company creating solutions that enable secure connections for a smarter world.

I was told it was 96 24

Comment

• nicholtl
                                              • Aug 2003

Sounds like a dope product! Thanks for sharing boe!

Comment

• goldear
                                                • Aug 2003

The Motorola 56367 Symphony is not a DAC, but the DSP engine/processor. Interestingly, it is the same one that is in the Halo...with perhaps new implimentation and code, since this one appears to run DPLIIx and few other things in the 7100. It's at least good to know that the 56367 is capable of handling the increase in duties.
                                                Chris B

Comment

• boe
                                                  • Jul 2004

Sorry - this is the information I was given from Parasound when requesting info on the DAC. I'm guessing this chipset might have trouble keeping up with the new Dolby format -

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.
                                                  Last edited by boe; 15 January 2005, 18:29 Saturday.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                    • Aug 2003

Incorrect Boe...this is all specualtion at this point.

To set the record on the new 7100.

The A-D/D-A codecs are the incredible new 192kHz Wolfsons and the DSP is the newest generation of the 56367 Symphony.

Brent Huskins
                                                    Media Design

Comment

• eduardw
                                                      • May 2004

Is there a release date for the 7100.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                        • Aug 2003

Likely the 1st quarter of 2005...so it should be soon.

Brent Huskins
                                                        Media Design

Comment

• kwojciec
                                                          • Jan 2005

Hi Brett

I posted this piece at another thread

"Brett

I just want to make situation completely clear. This new Halo pre-? serves only
                                                          as a preamplifier and provide you with better soundstage that any processor
                                                          in this (or I like to think at least twice as much) price range. It has two 7.1
                                                          inputs, so you can use one for your processor and other for the dedicated
                                                          CD-SACD player (how about DVD-Audio). This seems as extremely nice solutions
                                                          for those who actually are more into multichannel music than HT"

Let me elaborate on this a little bit. I have now Rotel gear RSP 1066 (pre-pro) and amplifiers RMB 1080, 1075. This works pretty well for HT (modulo new formats), but eventually I start to enjoy DVD-audio and multichannel SACD more than soundtracks. I can spent around $3000 to improve the system and it seems natural to think about better pre-pro. I auditioned several different units (Rotel 1098, Sunfire, NAD and few others). Unfortunately they were not really that great as far as music were concerned . The best from the musical point of view was Krell's Showcase with sticker $4000, hence a little bit out of reach (even after discount), and moreover from the processing point of view it was already outdated. Therefore the analog preamplifier seems to be a nice solutions. I can use my 3k to get this preamp and dedicated CD-SACD player. I can run my Rotel through one of 7.1 outputs and the player through the other (I already have Yamaha S2300 as the universal player and this one would go through Rotel and preamp). This seems to be the upgrade I am looking for. Am I right?

The point is that the new formats come and go and we will be always behind as far as processing is involved. Halo people are still waiting for DPLIIx and now we are talking HD DTS and so on. This will never end. Hence I will be just happy to have good quality multichannel music within my range.

Alternatively I consider to buy Halo C2 . I can afford B stock unit from Audio Advisor. Unfortunately I do not have chance to audition this one (I live in Indianapolis)., so I am not sure if as a preamp it is comparable to Showcase.

Hence this is my question to Brett. If the multichannel music is first priority and HT
                                                          comes next, what is the best solution:
                                                          (a) to get analog multichannel pre-amp?
                                                          (b) to get B-stock C2?

or perhaps

(c) wait for 7100 pre-pro from Parasound?

The argument for C2 (and perhaps 7100) is a great DACs and CD upsampling.
                                                          I hope to hear a word of wisdom from you which motivates me to make a road trip to Chicago and audition Halo and Parasound gear

best

Kwojciec

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                            • Aug 2003

You pose a good question. The P2 will likely be a very flexible problem solver, for situations like yours. It's hard to say what would be the best solution though. Why don't you email me at huskins@charter.net and we can explore the different options more specifically. I have a few questions for you but don't want to drown out this thread topic. You can also PM me as well if you have that turned on.

thanks,

Brent Huskins
                                                            Media Design
                                                            (817)300-1223

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"