X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimmer
    • Aug 2004

How?

Hi guys,

Seeking your guidiance: What will happen if I power the front left/Right N804 with a more powerful amp(300w) and a 150w amp powering the center HTM1 and the surrounds?

Note: the 2 amps are of different make.

Will it likely to sound awful? What do you think? How will it affect 5.1 music playback?

I listen mostly to music about 75% of the time, but do enjoy DVDs too.

Many thanks in advance.
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I have used two different amplifiers for front and the other speakers.
    First, front: Quad 606, center and surround: Marantz SR 14mkII,
    now, front: Audionet MAP, center and surround: Marantz SR 14mkII.
    As I have bought recently (but not installed) the HTM1 as center-box I plan to use the Quad 606 for that box.

Well, for me it matched very well, however I wouldn't use two different amp's for e.g. the front speakers, because even poweramp's - although less than pre-amps - influence the sound.

Jürgen

Comment

• biomed_eng_2000
      • Jul 2004

IF you watch mainly movies, I would recommend that you put more power to the center speaker than to the L and R mains.

However, since you say the you listen to music more, and I assume by that comment you mean 2 channel, then your setup is fine.

For 5.1 music, does most of the sound come from the center channel? If the answer is yes, then you may want more power to the center than goes to the sides.

For movies, 150 Watts should be just enough center power, unless you are sitting more than 20 feet away from your main speakers.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"