X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KMD
    • Apr 2003

Help! Need tall stands for 805's

I've been laying low under the radar screen latly, but still tring to upgrade. I have gone for a natilus HTM 1 to replace a CDM CNT to rear surround duties (6.1 going to use a Adcom 545 thats been sitting around for some time). Now the poroblem is this I have odered a pr of N805's to replace a pr of 601 s3 but the 36 inch stands aren't strong enough to hold the 805's. See the couch has a tall back to it, soo I need stands that are a min of 36in tall for the base of the speaker so it would be over the back of the couch and be strong enough to hold a pr of 805's. Still keep in mind the price. Any suggestion?
  • greggz
    • Jun 2002

Sound Anchors www.soundanchors.com has a stand designed specifically for the N805, but they max out at 28" tall.

Sound Anchors does custom height non-speaker specific monitor stands too. Perhaps you could get them to do a mod N805 stand at 36". If I had to guess, if they will do it, I would say its gonna be around $500 to $600 for the pair.

An alternative to consider (if you are going to spend that kind of money) would be to buy the actual B&W N805 stands (23" tall and $600 for the pair) and build a platform for them to sit on. If you built 2 cubes that were approx. 18" deep by 12" tall and 12" wide and filled them with sand or some other kind of mass, you could sit the stands and speakers on them, thus getting your desired height. You could paint the cubes black or try and put matching carpeting on them to get them to blend in with your decor.

Personally, I think down the road if you choose to sell, you'll get more money for the 805's with the matching B&W stands as opposed to the 805's with $500+ "Franken-stands" from Sound Anchor that put the tweeter about a foot higher than anyone else is going to want.

Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• KMD
      • Apr 2003

greggz, Thanks for your reply. I have spoken with my audio sales rep and he said the same thing you're saying about the stands. You brought up a good point about the factory stands w/cubes under them. Right now money is a little thin, looking in this mornings paper I came a cross a flyer with unfinished furniture in it with mission hardwood plant stands 36inches for $34.00 each for now, I am going to make these work and eventually buy the factory stands, maybe even on ebay trying to save some more.

Comment

• themite
        • Jul 2005

Greggz its obvoius u are biased towards the b&w stands.
        I personally think b&w default stands are extremely uninteresting and very plain in their look, absolutely nothing special about them.

U can get the soundanchors with custum colour for 50$ more, imagine the soundanchors 805 stands, in ebony white, they say it goes very well together with oak. (Rainmaker Totem speakers have default white stands that are supremely beautiful).
        I´d bet u would get more money for the soundanchors nautilus spekaer combo then the default b&w, that argument sounds to me like a very stupid sales guy argument.
        In the end the sound and looks are important, not what u will get whenever u descide to sell them, although i dare say i think the soundanchors are better more non resonant and rigid stands and sonically letting the speaker show of even more , then with the default b&w´s.
        I have never seen a soundanchor nautilus on second hand sale, but i have seen plenty b&w 805 default stands on ebay and various online used gear´for sale places.
        Perhaps thats why u are all worrying about wich one gives the best price when being sold used? I guess the soundanchors are priceless then like the monalisa?,..since they are not to be found used

[/IMG]
        Attached Files

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

I´d bet u would get more money for the soundanchors nautilus spekaer combo then the default b&w, that argument sounds to me like a very stupid sales guy argument.
          I think if you RE-READ my post you will see that the comment was directed at the resale value of some very expensive custom Sound Anchor stands that would put the N805 more than a FOOT higher than the recommended listening height and not a blanket statement about the value of Sound Anchor products.

But hey, nice first post. U keep those "value-added" comments coming.
          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"