Sound difference between DM600s3 and DM601s3??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biomed_eng_2000
    • Jul 2004

Sound difference between DM600s3 and DM601s3??

Besides the obvious bass extension difference, what are your opinions of the sound difference between the DM600s3 and DM601s3??

Since they are only about $50 difference in price, that is somewhat irrelavant to me.

I want to get the one that has the most accurate midrange since it will be crossed over at 100Hz to a 10" subwoofer. The 601 or 600 will thus be playing 100Hz (via 24db/octave crossover) and above.

THANKS!!
    Last edited by biomed_eng_2000; 31 July 2004, 14:07 Saturday.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

I'd take the 601 S3 every time. Your $50 will get you a 50% heaver box (= better construction / less vibration), better power handling and for analogue stereo listenning (when you probably won't have the sub) at least some bass response. Also even with the sub you need to remember that the speaker will be reciecing some bass....

FYI - For me the "sweet spot" in the 600 series bookshelf range is the 602 S3 - which is a very capable speaker for stereo listenning even without a sub... Really worth a listen if you can come up with the extra $...

Geoff

Comment

• jrd
      • Dec 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with Geoff. I can't speak to the 600S3, but I started with 601S3. Had them probably 9 mos. to a year, then bought a pair of 602S3 and moved the 601s to the rear. All my other equipment stayed the same, so it was a fair comparison. The 602s retain the same nice tweeter, have even better mids because of the larger driver, and significantly more bass than the 601s due to the larger cabinet. I'm continually surprised how good the bass response is from a relatively small speaker.

Comment

• biomed_eng_2000
        • Jul 2004

Thanks guys for the input.

I ended up getting the 601's. The dealer said that the 600 and 601 have near identical voicing but that the 601's have a slightly better dynamic range and slightly deeper bass because of the driver size difference.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

very true....if money allows, get the 602s eventually and move the 601s in the rear. That's what I'm gonna do with my existing 601s. I kinda planned it this way becuz I got the LCR600 for center and I think the 602s blend with the LCR600 the best. Good luck..

Comment

• benxx
            • Aug 2004

How about DS602.5?

I am considering DS 602.5 and DS603... IS LCR600 significantly better than LCR60?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Benxx,

According to B&W:
              For centre channel, the more compact LCR60 S3 can typically be used to partner the 600 Series bookshelf speakers or the DM602.5 S3 floorstander.
              The LCR600 S3, with its higher output and improved bass extension, partners either the DM603 S3 or DM604 S3 in larger home cinema installations.
              Bottom line - for the 603 S3 you really should have the LCR600 S3 - for the 602.5 it is more marginal - but...

I have heard 3 LCR600 S3 as the front channels and they were superb!!!

Geoff

Comment

• benxx
                • Aug 2004

Thanks Geoff,

Is ASW600 good enough for the purpose or should I go with 650 or even think about 675? Still debating whether I should go with 602 as front and pay for a good pair of stand or go with 602.5 or 603 as front.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

What's your room size? In my room I got the 601s as fronts and LCR600 as center. I don't have the surrounds yet. I'm quite satisfied right now without the sub, but that'll change when I move into a bigger place. Have you checked out other subs by different manufactures? I'm looking into the SVS and the HSUs, price wise, I believe they'll give you more bang for the buck. There's alot of good talks about them, give them a try.

Comment

• biomed_eng_2000
                    • Jul 2004

I'm using the 601s for the surround (four of them)...with three 602.5s for the L, C, and R located below a 106" front projection screen. Room is about 15' by 18'. Still waitng for FedEx to deliver the screen!!

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

sounds like a nice setup biomed eng. Post a picture when you finish your setup, sure like to see it. I'm actually going to keep my 601s as the fronts and pick up a pair of 600s and DS6 for surrounds. Planning on a eventual upgrade to the 700 series, can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"