X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroku
    • Jul 2004

Upgradeitis

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My setup is as follows:

Mains: CDM 9 NT
    Center : HTM 7
    Rear: 602 S1
    Rotel RMB 1075
    Marantz SR 7200 for pre/pro

OK, first let me explain why I have such a mix n match setup. I started with the 602's about 5 years ago. Those are my first B&W speakers which I have used for my 2 channel system for the majority of my time with them. Theyve been through a lot (college), and I think its about time to euthanise them. One has a dimpled tweeter which was fixed with some scotch tape but hasnt sounded the same since, and the other one has a nice chunk of the cabinet missing from the top left reaer corner from falling off some cardboard boxes being used as speaker stands :T So, I am currently seeking some used CDM 1 NTs to match my 9NTs

About 1.5 years ago it was time for me to start setting up a home theater I bought a Marantz 7200 receiver and a B&W LCR 600 center. So, for a while I was rockin a l,c,r setup. Eventually I decided I needed to get some decent main speakers and move the 602's to the rear. So I set out to listen to some 604's as I really wanted more bass without having to add a subwoofer (I live in an apartment and a sub would be too much I think). I couldnt find 604's to audition anywhere. I heard some 603's and thought they were nice, but then the salesman in his infinite wisdom exposed me and my fresh tax return check to the CDM9 NTs. I was sold. The difference in sound was staggering. And it also helped that I got a 10% discount. I walked out of the store thinking to myself that if I didnt like how my whole setup sounded I would upgrade over time to a full CDM NT system and sell off my 600 series stuff. Unfortunately I didnt know the CDM NT line was being discontinued.

After listening to my setup for a few months I decided that the integration between the cdm9 nt and the lcr 600 center channel was pretty crappy. So I went to the store to get a CDM CNT. Thats when I found out that I couldnt get one. So I decided to wait a while which ended up being about 3 weeks. In that time I got a Rotel RMB 1075 which improved my sound quite a bit. I have an upgrade plan on it so I am going to get a 1095 in a few months I think. And I also ended up purchasing the HTM 7 as I felt it was the closest thing to a CDM CNT. I was also thinking to myself that I really liked how the 700 series looks compared to the blocky angular NTs, so hey maybe I should upgrade everything to 700's! In this mind set I did something indiciative of my stupidity and bought the HTM 7 in Maple finish while all the rest of my speakers are black. I wanted to get a full maple 700 series setup which would look pretty sweet. As it turns out, The htm7 doesnt really match up well with the CDM 9 nts. Its acceptable at normal volumes, but when I crank it, the weakness of the center is readily apparent in comparison to how awesome the 9NTs sound. So, now I have a maple center that I dont like that much, and all black speakers elsewhere.

The question I am asking myself now is, would I be happy with an HTM 1? It seems like thats my last option. What do you guys think? Should I wait until the rumored new line of Nautilus speakers are launched?

OK I have written too much, sorry for being so long-winded ops:
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

I'm not sure. If you plan on sticking with the 9NTs at least awhile longer, then look for a CNT on audiogon. Keeping the HTM 7 and swapping the 9NT for the 703 isn't worth the lateral move. While the CNT doesn't use the FST midrange cone of the 9NT, it should still be closer-sounding than the HTM 7. If you have more ambitious plans, like going to the 800 series, then don't do anything until then, when you have the speakers and finish-of-choice picked out.

Comment

• jwakaruk
      • Jun 2004

Miroku,

I have the HTM 2 for my home theater set up and highly recommend it. This speaker should integrate nicely with 9nt as I belive the cabinets are the only significant differences between the CDM CNT and the HTM 2. I use the Rotel 1075 to drive it as well and have found it handles the load without complaint alongside the N804's up front. If you have the room and the budget the HTM1 would probably be great as well. Although if you do buy either of these two centres you probably won't be happy until you upgrade the entire speaker set-up to the 800 series so be careful.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"