X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackchen
    • Jun 2004

B&W speakers for surround sound

I am planning to set up my home theater system, and am thinking of getting the 802 for the front, HTM-1 for the center, and SCM-1 for the rear surround. I am also planning to use the Krell Home Theater Standard 7.1 for the processor, and Krell Theater Amplier Standard for the power amp. Is this a good combination?
    By the way, what is the typical discount for buying B&W speaker from the dealer, or do I expect to pay full retail price? Thanks.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I am sure that would make a really nice setup... :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

A great combination & your questions answered :-)

Jackchen,

That will be a very nice set-up indeed – I’m in the very jealous club...

You mention the Krell Home Theatre Standard 7.1 Processor - remember the matching Home Theatre Standard Amplifier is only 5 channels (though they are very very good channels with 200W into 8 ohm and 400w into 4 ohm).

If you are looking to go 7.1 (highly recommended) then you will need an extra stereo amplifier such as the Krell KAC-3250 (3 channels of 250w into 8 ohms and 500w into 4 ohms)... Or for a little more $ the FBP300cx Class A 2 channel system with 300w into 8, 600 into 4, 1200 into 2 ohms. Now there is a set-up to make one (me at least) drool...

I know Krell have the Home Theater Showcase Amplifier which does come in 7 channel - but at 125w its current driving capability would not be up to the same class at the Home Theatre Standard for those B&W Nautilus's 802's on your fronts and would restrict the qulaity of the sound you would get. If you were short of $ you could get the 5 channel version of this with the Krell KAC 3250 for the other 5 channels…

Discounts - Hard to get on B&W speakers but you can generally get 10% with 15% being possible for a large order such as yours.

Subwoofer - you didn't mention it - but let me (having listenned and loved) recommend the B&W ASW850 as the perfect match for those speakers....

Geoff
      Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 08 June 2004, 11:23 Tuesday.

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

That is the exact setup that my dealer has in one of his rooms. Sounds great. He also has the processor and amps in a Salamander Synergy rack that looks quite fetching.

I think if you are ordering that entire system at the same time, I would try for a 10-15% discount off retail.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

drool...drool...drool
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jackchen
            • Jun 2004

Thanks for all the responses. I am not sure if I need 7.1 yet and therefore I am limiting to 5 channel amplifiers for now since my room is not that big (~17' x 17') and my listening sofa is only about 3 feet away from the back wall. and I am not sure if I can benefit from the 2 additional effect speakers at the back.
            I am looking for the new Velydyne 15" sub woofer with bass equaliser calibration, but have not try to audition the B&W main speaker with Velydyne sub and compare with B&W 850 Sub. Any idea?

--- Jack

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"