X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel_stereo
    • May 2004

Stands or not for DM602 S3

Hello,
    What are the implications of not placing Standmount speakers B&W DM602 S3 on stands.
    Currently my budget does not allow for $200+ sturdy stands for speakers. Where else can you place these speakers and still get good response. Please, your insights are appreciated.
    Thanks,
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Stand and Deliver...

Rotel Stereo,

Speakers like the B&W 602 S3 are very placement friendly. Key is that they are at ear hight for your listenning position and a reasonable distance appart compared to the distance you are sitting from them (I like 3 metres appart and sitting at least 3 metres away if you can).

They are made for bookshelf or stand usage. if you can't afford the stands right now, then you will need something sturdy to place them which won't colour the sound with vibrations etc. Some bookshelfs, wall units work. Failing that I have seen people use stacks of bricks with a cloth over them to mount some high end bookshelf speakers very succesfully (no vibration!)

Some companies (Radio Shack, IKEA etc) also sell "generic" coste effective stands in the $30-50 range that you could consider using - they must be sturdy with no vibration / wobble from the top to the bottom and will ideally have spikes or simular on the base to lock into position.

I suggest you save up for a "made for purpose" B&W stand though - it will make a difference and you can find tune the placement.

Geoff

Comment

• rotel_stereo
      • May 2004

Thanks Geoff

Geoff,
      Thanks for answering my questions here and at the club rotel. I will be saving for the good stands! I like the brick idea, I will look into that. I posted another question to you at the club rotel under the same thread, if you have time, please send me a reply.
      Thanks again...

Comment

• Wilfred
        • May 2003

This is the only area of Hi-Fi that I will not think twice of buying used. As long as no dings & scratches, a used stand is as good as new. Picked up a pair of Sound Organisation Z522 for $80 for my 602 S3 and could not be happier! At the same time, I bought a pair of new Lovan Affiniti II ($90!) and it's not even close... ok for 600 but sure not 602.

Check out online stores for new prices, here's one

Or www.audiogon.com for used.

Remember 602 is fairly good size and heavy, pick something sturdy. The brick method might work as a cheap solution. Lots of heavy lifting when trying to position your speakers however. :W

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"