X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Schulze
    • Jun 2003

Bi-amping HTM1

Has anyone bi-amped the HTM1?

I am considering bi-amping my HTM1. The reason is - I am getting new amps (Bryston 7B SST's - 600w monoblocks) for my 802's, but will not bi-amp those. I will continue to use my existing amp (Anthem MCA 50 - 180w, 5 channel) for my surrounds (805's) and for my center channel (HTM1). Since I will have amp channels left over, I have thought of bi-amping my HTM1.

Does anyone any thoughts on this?

Dan
    I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

Do it. I can't say more because it wouldn't be B&W specific.

Comment

• Mundis
      • May 2004

Dan, you need to get yourself an xbox to take advantage of your excellent system.

Comment

• McGlentosh
        • Sep 2005

I bi-amp my HTM1 using two channels of my McIntosh MC206. Each channel is 200 watts. I did it because I had an extra amp channel, which would have just "gone to waste."

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Definitely go ahead. The more power you give it the better.
          Let us know the differences you hear. You anyway have the spare channel, the only other investment would be cables.
          Enjoy

Comment

• Jeff
            • Dec 2004

Dan, Frankly. I would say don't bother. I know you own a very nice system. But when I bi-amped my N802's with a second Proceed amp the difference we VERY small. The extra cost of a high quality cable may not be worth it just to say you did it.

There was however a noticable benefit when adding a second run of good quality, 10 guage speaker cable to the
            N802's woofers without the second amp. The low frequencies were fuller, without any boom.

I have two runs of speaker cables to my HTM1. This was a welcomed improvement to that center. When I heard the results of bi-amping the 802's I didn't bother with the HTM1.

Jeff

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jeff
              Dan, Frankly. I would say don't bother. I know you own a very nice system. But when I bi-amped my N802's with a second Proceed amp the difference we VERY small. The extra cost of a high quality cable may not be worth it just to say you did it.

There was however a noticable benefit when adding a second run of good quality, 10 guage speaker cable to the
              N802's woofers without the second amp. The low frequencies were fuller, without any boom.

I have two runs of speaker cables to my HTM1. This was a welcomed improvement to that center. When I heard the results of bi-amping the 802's I didn't bother with the HTM1.

Jeff
              Which Proceed are you using?
              Did you run two separate cables from the same Proceed to the 802's?
              Clarify a little bit how you are running it?
              George.

Comment

• weijst
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dan Schulze
                ...I am considering bi-amping my HTM1. The reason is - I am getting new amps (Bryston 7B SST's - 600w monoblocks) for my 802's, but will not bi-amp those. I will continue to use my existing amp (Anthem MCA 50 - 180w, 5 channel) for my surrounds (805's) and for my center channel (HTM1). Since I will have amp channels left over, I have thought of bi-amping my HTM1. Does anyone any thoughts on this? Dan
                Excuse me, but may I assume your original post was merely intended to let us know you are getting new amps, as I see no reason whatsoever why you'd ask such a question. It's not that you're in doubt whether or not to get yourself an extra amp for bi-amping your HTM1 (what would have been a more obvious reason for starting a thread).
                If you have the extra channel for bi-amping, why not try it out? Considering your setup, I can't imagine borrowing a few metres of speakerwire from your dealer will be much of a problem...
                Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

George, I used a Proceed Amp 3. I had borrowed a Proceed Amp 2 for the test. I felt the only way to perform a proper test is to have identical power sources. Yes, there were two separate runs of cable to each speaker.

From what I've read and heard separate crossovers are needed to achieve the best results. I personally don't know anyone who has made this change to their system.
                  I'd like to hear separate crossovers on a before and after test. Ah, perhaps someday.

Jeff

Comment

• georgev
                    • Jul 2004

Jeff, you are spot on. What Dan would be doing would be called passive bi-amping, the benefits of which can be equated to using a single more powerful amp.
                    Active bi-amping would involve the use of active crossovers and then disengaging the crossover network in the speaker so that one amp droives the low freq. and another drive the highs, with the signals completely separate.
                    What you did in running two sets of speaker cables from the one amp. is tantamount to biwiring, and you should get more benefit from passive bi-amping purely because of more power.
                    George.

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

Hi Greg, just one slight amendment to your summery. I ran each speaker using two channels of my Proceed amp.
                      Perhaps there would have been a noticable difference if I listened at greater than 95 db. I generally don't do that unless I'm really wound up or really really happy...well heck, that's TONIGHT. So in short I bi-amped and bi-wired. :W

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"