This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Schulze
    • Jun 2003

I have heard/read rumors that B&W will be upgrading the 802's soon. I can't remember where I saw that, but if memory serves I read the basic design/look will be the same, but with upgraded drivers plus some other stuff. Like I said only rumor, but if you think about it the 802's have been out for a while, but by no means does that mean the sound from them will be outdated. Many guys have speakers for many, many years. My personal opinion is that the speaker technology in general is not moving at the same pace as, let say, display technology!

By the way, I also read in that same rumor that the price will be a bit higher.

If anyone can confirm or deny this rumor, I would be interested in learning more.

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
    My Home Theater
    I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

The B&W is in the process of replacing the Nautilus 800 series with upgraded versions. The same they did in 2003 for the CDM NT series, they will do end of 2004/beginning of 2005 for the 800 series.

Indeed the drivers are a likely candidate for an upgrade. Looking at the technology for the 700 series, they have not been standing still. Also the 800 series has been around for several years and commonly B&W will replace a series every 5 years.

What the exact changes are, are still unknown. Maybe more finishes, differente woofers, different looks?

Most likely name is Nautilus mkII.

What is known, is that the price will be 10% higher. B&W has done this consistently in the past and also last year with the 700 series.

Will they sound better? I don't know, but definitly different. In these ranges, there is no "better", but more "different". It depends on your preference what is good or not.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

where did you find all that info scarp?

heh.. its funny, because since i just did my upgrading, im prolly going to get left behind on the new series and as bad as that may seem, the speakers i have are nothing to be dissapointed about. what i want to know is, who are these jones's im trying to keep up with, and i wish they would just move out of the neighborhood!!!!

(i mean, its not like i dont have the best surround sound system of anyone i know here locally, except for the dealers, anyways)
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• DrBoom
          • Dec 2003

Scarp, my guess is B&W is going to go with Nautilus Series II instead of MkII seeing as that's how they've always done it.
          Prices will be at least 10% higher, but i'm thinking it'll be more like 15 % or higher, depending on how many technology updates they'll be doing.
          While we can only guess at these updates, i'm almost 100% sure they'll be adding a new tweeter with extension to over 50 KHz, even higher then the 700 series tweeter.
          They've put a lot of new technology in the 700 series already, with the balanced-drive motor structure behind the mid/woofers of the 700 series, the enhanced tweeter, the bent-wood technology.
          So in this perspective, the 700's are catching up to the 800 series.
          And since they can't afford to make their 800 series anything less than spectacular, i'm looking forward to their release too
          Being in the market for a set of speakers myself, i'm seriously doubting what to do.
          Buying the 800 series now, and hoping the new ones won't be here too fast or won't be as good (yeah right :roll: ), or staying with the brand new 700 series and feeling safe for the next 5 years.

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

If I had the money now, I would definitly buy the current 802's. Although there might be improvements in the new Series II. The current version is to my liking anyway. I hear some people complain about the new tweeters in the 700 series. Supertweeters are a nice idea, but give a lot of problems too. But well, maybe B&W gets those tweeters correct.

So personally, dont put off buying the current series if you are very pleased with the sound it produces. The new series will be more expensive and it has yet to be seen whether or not its worth the extra money.

Comment

• Skip
              • Dec 2003

Hi all. I am still in the hunt to power my new cdm9nts, which are breaking in beautifully. I was hoping to tighten my budget a bit from my original search (Rotel 1055 or NAD 763) given the added expenses of a new house a baby on the way -- priorities are so inconvenient!

Anyway, would it even be worth considering a NAD 752/753 or Marantz 7400 to power the B&W setup (80% 2-ch and 20% HT in a room that is about 16x13)? I know that the B&W's crave power, so I had been trying to get the most (and cleanest) for the money. Would it be foolish to cut corners here? The 752/753 or 7300 could probably be had for almost $400-500 less than the 763 or Rotel. While not as powerful as the 763, the 753 is conservatively rated at 80 per with all channels driven. Also, are NAD and Marantz too warm for a match for the B&W?

My hope is to use this for the next year or two and then add a separate amp. So while I would not necessarily call this a stop gap, it's also not my final stop on the way to audio utopia. In any even, is this a reasonable way to go, or would I be doing myself a disservice by getting one of these models?

As always, thanks for the help!

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

While I know there are problems with the rotels right now, i think they make a great combination w/ the b&w speakers. i have the 1055. the quality is great! there are some odd issues with it. im not sure a rotel will be my next purchase for a pre-amp, but then again i would prolly budget a higher end product when i replace the 1055. that wont be for about 5 more years though. this system is going to have to last me.

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

is anyone out there still?

this forum seems to have died!

I was talking to my b&w store, still waiting on my htm1 to come in, and he said that b&w has upgraded the tweeters on the nautilus for this year. They used some of the technology from the 700 series. no idea if they are shipping that way now, or if it will be later in the year that they begin shipping.

Comment

• luszer
                    • Feb 2003

sikoniko

Unfortunately I can not comment on the nautilus line, however I have been running my CDM 1nt for about 4 months and am truly amazed with the music reproduction, so some nautilus technology passed down. I am lurking for a second hand CDM Cnt to match them up with.
                    I fully enjoy the listening pleasures provide by these speakers matched with Rotel gear. Actually close to purchasing the RC 1070 pre amp to mate with my RB991 and 1nts

Good Listening

Ron

Comment

• Scarp
                      • Mar 2003

I sure hope not that they will put the same crappy tweeters of the 700 series in the 800 series. That would totally suck, since many people really don't like the 700 series high tones.

Comment

• DrBoom
                        • Dec 2003

That's why I bought my 805's now, and not next year.
                        I made that mistake once with the CDM's and I'm not about to make it again

Sikoniko, I seriously doubt that what they told you is true.
                        B&W wouldn't upgrade tweeters in the middle of a current series, without announcing it or making a name change in the series.
                        Let's say you bought 804's last year, and you want to add an HTM1 this year.
                        That would mean that the HTM1 you just bought is a complete mismatch to your 804's, because they changed the tweeter

Don't get me wrong, there WILL be changes in the tweeter, but not before the Nautilus 800 Series II sees the light of day.
                        Definitely not in the current 800 series.
                        And for the love of god, don't let them put those squeeky 700 tweeters in the Nautilus line. 8O

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

I know nothing about the 700 series. The dealer did say that it wouldnt be out until this time next year. My HTM1 should be here sometime this week. Going on 1 month and 1.5 weeks since I ordered it now.

Comment

• KMD
                            • Apr 2003

Scarp, last weekend I was out shoveling after a snow storm and happen to hit OIL! So I ran down to my local B&W dealer and purchased A pair of 802's on your advise. How's that? No I've wanted a pair ever since I laid my eyes on a pair a yr an a half ago! I Got them hooked up this morning and I've not been able to close my mouth yet. So I would also recommend these speakers to anyone who is listening.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Well, I took my fiance down and showed the 802's to her. They failed the future WAF. I have 1 year to upgrade my 804's to 803's. Im wondering if it is worth it. I know noone can tell me but me, but my dealers don't seem to stock the 803's. One shop has 805's, 804's and 802's and the other has 805's, 802's and S800's. Im not even going to bother with the signatures unless we win the lotto.

Im also wondering about a sub. Has anyone heard the asw800 or 850? Im wondering if they are the ultimate matchup or if I should just go with something like an svs, or REL for less money.

Comment

• Scarp
                                • Mar 2003

@KMD: congrats

@sikoniko:
                                The 803's are the odd speakers in the Nautilus series. From what I heard the 803 designer quit after the 803's and the other nautilus speakers where made by other people. There is a sound difference between the 803's and the rest. Its more bass than 804's, but it definitly has a different feel to it.

Personally I think upgrading from 804's to 803's isn't worth the effort. I would sooner invest in a good subwoofer (ASW800 or 850), for bringing back some extra bass that the 804 is lacking (its there but its not hard pounding bass, but lean, smooth and tight bass).

Or either go for the 802's right away. 804 to 802 is a big upgrade, which not only brings you the bass, but retains the good sound of 804's or 805's. But you other equipment should be up to the task. 802's don't require a lot of watts, but they just deserve a good quality amplifier. Without that you do them no justice.

DrBoom has a nice setup ... 4x805 + HTM2. Don't remember if he had a subwoofer. But that will make a terrific sounding Home theatre, but also fantastic stereo results. A good subwoofer can make up for the lack of the bass woofers in the 805's.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

ok, this leads me to questions about the subs then.

for the 804's, would the asw800 be the better match? Reason I ask is as follows:

800's have 10 inch, 801's have 15 (or is it12?) and the 802's look like 8inch subs built into the cabs.

a 15 inch sub is going to go to lower frequecies, but not necessarily be as accurate. The above mentioned speakers would rely on that accuracy quite as much because the low frequency speakers built into the cabinets would more then compensate.

for the 804's, if you went with the 850, you would lose some of that accuracy, and might miss a small range all together between the range of the 804 and where the 850 begins to shine. the asw 800 would complement and make the low frequency a smooth transition from speaker to sub, but just not go as low.

am I correct? Im basing this off of my knowledge of musical instruments and common config of bass guitar amps by mixing 10's and a 15.

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

This thread is no longer the only place to talk BW. It's wide open now. Of course, this can be your all's reference thread, coupled with the prior thread that has a lot of posts. Your choice.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• DrBoom
                                      • Dec 2003

DrBoom has a nice setup ... 4x805 + HTM2. Don't remember if he had a subwoofer. But that will make a terrific sounding Home theatre, but also fantastic stereo results. A good subwoofer can make up for the lack of the bass woofers in the 805's.
                                      Actually that's changed a bit, I made a last-minute (literally) decision to get 804's as main speakers.
                                      Still play a lot of stereo and I didn't want to use a sub for that, or at least not my current ASW650.
                                      So it was either 805's with a really really good sub, or 804's (and possibly get a sub later).
                                      The 804's are also more dynamic and can play a bit louder then the 805's without straining, hence my choice.
                                      They're still brand-new (got them today), and need a lot of running in, I'm curious how they will match the HTM2 which I had already bought thining I'd wind up with 805's all around.
                                      Perhaps I'll get an HTM1 just before they start fasing out the current 800 series and introducing the S2's.
                                      I'm also already thinking about changing amplification, but not for a year or so, or maybe even longer.
                                      The Rotel isn't bad, but I simply know that the Nautilus range can go much much further with better amps.
                                      That's the downside of working in a hifi store, you keep hearing better things every day
                                      For now, i'll just stick with it and be happy

Comment

• audiofanze
                                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DrBoom
                                        Scarp, my guess is B&W is going to go with Nautilus Series II instead of MkII seeing as that's how they've always done it.
                                        Prices will be at least 10% higher, but i'm thinking it'll be more like 15 % or higher, depending on how many technology updates they'll be doing.
                                        While we can only guess at these updates, i'm almost 100% sure they'll be adding a new tweeter with extension to over 50 KHz, even higher then the 700 series tweeter.
                                        They've put a lot of new technology in the 700 series already, with the balanced-drive motor structure behind the mid/woofers of the 700 series, the enhanced tweeter, the bent-wood technology.
                                        So in this perspective, the 700's are catching up to the 800 series.
                                        And since they can't afford to make their 800 series anything less than spectacular, i'm looking forward to their release too
                                        Being in the market for a set of speakers myself, i'm seriously doubting what to do.
                                        Buying the 800 series now, and hoping the new ones won't be here too fast or won't be as good (yeah right :roll: ), or staying with the brand new 700 series and feeling safe for the next 5 years.
                                        Dr Boom! We meet on an international forum! All this gossip of a Nautilus II serie has me troubled. I'm planning an upgrade towards a 2.2system with TacT woofers. Should I go for the N805 or the N805 signature??? Please consider that the monitor should only produce frequencies above 350Hz. If B&W will release a new N805 II, will it be as good as the Sig 805? What about the Sig805, will it be replaced in due time? Questions, questions, who was answers???

Comment

• ogloony
                                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                          is there anybody out there?
                                          me ogloony :roll: i have a question?

Comment

• ogloony
                                            • Oct 2004

what is the best B&W 5.1 surround speakers(but cheap my total budget is $1500 only) to use for my 60 watts Harmon Kardon amplifier which has DTS?

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"