Next upgrade for 803D owner: amp or preamp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncle_dito
    • Dec 2006

Next upgrade for 803D owner: amp or preamp?

Hi,
    I currently have 803D with Audio Research VT100mkIII power amp and Reference 3 preamp. What upgrade would bring me best sound quality improvement for the money?
    A) change amp to Audio Research Ref75SE?
    B) change preamp to Audio Research Ref5SE?
    As a side note, I currently don't miss more loudness or power, maybe a bit thin on the bass. Thanks for your advise.
    Last edited by uncle_dito; 03 January 2016, 03:49 Sunday. Reason: Typo correction; clarity on models
    Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
    HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I always thought the big BW's had a lot of bass, so maybe your amp is anemic for these hungry speakers? I am not familiar with the Audio Research. If your pre-amp is of good quality and you hear a lot of detail. More powerful amplification will drive your bass harder. While I don't have BW speakers, I do have a very solid amp, Mark Levinson 336 (*obsolete now), but extremely beefy and fills the complete audio spectrum. I find that my Sonus faber Extremas are detailed and full with either my Lexicon MC-12 or my older Classe pre-amp. Right now I have no choice, the Classe' has to drive them. MC-12 is down.

I vote for amplification. Mark Levinson or Mcintosh maybe?

Loudness or power are not really the issue with any decent amp, it's about microdynamics, and the real BEEF it's made of. Example, my Levinson doubles the wattage all the way down to 2 ohm loads, and can drive a 1 ohm load for short bursts. That kind of power is what drives big bass, IMO, and the build quality is such that it does not suffer on high end and mids either. Just a heck-of-an amp. Of course, new it was 10 grand.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• uncle_dito
      • Dec 2006

Thanks Lex. Agree with the observations for the bass. Actually I did try the Ref3 preAmp at my brother's system, with 803D2 and Marantz MA-9S1 300W monoblocks. The sound was outstanding. On the other hand, I love Audio Research midrange and highs. I wonder if there are owners of 803D or 802, with the Audio Research Ref75 or Ref5 gear, who might share their experience.
      Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
      HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Yeah, maybe someone here has some Audio Research experience. It may be a geographic area thing, why they are bigger there than here, or maybe I have been away from the trenches too long.

Since I play guitar some now, I just came from flipping my Marshall 100H from 50 watt Pentode power to 100 watt full power, and BAM, the bass was out of the ball park! Of course, everything else was too, lol. I had to cut that off at 10, tame the beast... lol. Neighbors might get nasty.

Love those 803s though, very special speakers. How about a photo of your setup?

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• uncle_dito
          • Dec 2006

Hi Lex, just updated the thread of pictures of B&W system
          I thought ARC was quite big in US? In Europe we get them but more expensive than US, they are not that accesible.

Comment

• mglimabr
            • Sep 2010

I had some mcintosh, audio research and b&w systems over the years. I heard that ref3 is a great pre , but the ref 5 is better, but much expensive. Few years i had the 804s with mcintosh and when i tested audio research (pre and power) the AR was much better. Whe i decided to go tubes, i compared few mcintosh power amps and i choose mc275. I listened mc302 (not good pair with mc275 tube) and mc452, which is great.
            I didnt listened the vt100 but i bet its a good amp. If you like the mids and hights i recomment you to use your power with mids and higs and try one more potente like mc452 or even marantz monoblocks for the bass. Its will keep the the sonics that you like with more bass. If you cold test on your system before nuy its the way.

Comment

• uncle_dito
              • Dec 2006

Thanks mglimabr. I am a bit reluctant to biAmp with different amplifiers. Years ago, I tried with musical fidelity A1008 for mid/high, and Musical Fidelity A5CR for bass, B&W804s at the time. Both were 250w per channel, but the A5 CR had more reserve and current delivery. I did not like the outcome, was as if the whole music coherence and balance was lost and the bass side was dominating.
              Originally posted by mglimabr
              I had some mcintosh, audio research and b&w systems over the years. I heard that ref3 is a great pre , but the ref 5 is better, but much expensive. Few years i had the 804s with mcintosh and when i tested audio research (pre and power) the AR was much better. Whe i decided to go tubes, i compared few mcintosh power amps and i choose mc275. I listened mc302 (not good pair with mc275 tube) and mc452, which is great.
              I didnt listened the vt100 but i bet its a good amp. If you like the mids and hights i recomment you to use your power with mids and higs and try one more potente like mc452 or even marantz monoblocks for the bass. Its will keep the the sonics that you like with more bass. If you cold test on your system before nuy its the way.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"