X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

800 series phase plug on 805S

Hi

My 2 year old son recently squashed the dust cover on the midrange driver on one of my B&W 805S speakers - nightmare...

Anyway, they are difficult to repair and not replaceable unless you replace the entire midrange unit, which is quite expensive. However, an eBay seller suggested that you can make the phase plug from the 805D series compatible with the 805S - anyone heard of this or know if it's doable?

Service manual: https://www.bwgroupusa.com/bwgroup-p...%2F805S-TM.pdf
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

If the HTM4S I have is anything to go by, it won't work as the plug is part of the driver rather than a removable plug (like on the nautilus and diamonds)
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Minivan
      • Jan 2005

Hi Tom

Yes, they appear to be the same.

The eBay seller claims it can be done and is suggesting I send them my speakers or the drivers and they will complete the installation. They are also located in Hungary. Smell a rat?

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

I wouldn't do it if I were you, there must be a reason B&W did the driver the way they did! And yes I wouldn't like the idea of sending my speakers to Hungary!
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• windshear
          • Dec 2004

I don't think it can be done without changing the fundamentals of the driver. Its too risky, and does not justify the chance of never seeing your drivers again. Keep your drivers original, or get it repaired or even replaced.

Comment

• Minivan
            • Jan 2005

Agree with you all.

I had another idea, that I could swap the driver out from the surround speaker DS8S. But I measured it and the drivers on the DS8S's are actually bigger than the 805S.

In the end, I actually managed to get it 90% back to normal using duck-tape carefully.

Thanks for the comments

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"