X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tah
    • Nov 2014

803D Question

New guy here, long time B&W believer, so hello to everyone....

Just picked up a new rig and am a combination of confused and disappointed.

Got the Mcintosh MC 402 with the C46 Preamp. Hooked up the 803D's on the 8 ohm taps, bi-wired with high quality Monster Cable.

Removed from the room a pair of Wharfedale PI-40 floor standers that had been powered by (at various times) a Marantz 2385, 200 WPC Mac and a 270 WPC Mac.

Wharfedale quotes 89 do sensitivity and Bowers quotes 90 db. So, neglible difference there.

Here's the problem... The Wharfedales played MUCH louder than the 803's are doing right now. Even when being fed by the Marantz 2285 (rated 85 WPC, reality probably 120) I couldn't turn the knob past 50%.

With the MC 402 (rated 400 WPC, reality probably 500) I can take the volume to 85% and it's not as loud as the old rig at less than 50%.

I'm really disappointed as I expected this rig to drive me out of the room at 50%.

Any input / thoughts / suggestions appreciated.
  • mglimabr
    • Sep 2010

803D1 or D2? The B&W D1 its very hard to play and requires a lots of power. Once when was choosing my new Macintosh power for my 805D i compared MC452 (ss 400 watts x2) x MC275 (Tube 75 watts x2) and the sound was better and i pickup MC275 but the MC452 didn't sound 4x more sound like i expected (on the same volume on pre-amp). Sometimes louder can't be more quality.

Comment

• tah
      • Nov 2014

803D2's

I agree with what you're saying, but an 89 db sensitivity vs a 90 bd sensitivity should be pretty close.

I really thought these would be insanely loud at 50% volume.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

I have a pair of 803Ds driven by an Emotiva 300 watt x 2 SS amp. Most CDs and DVDs are comfortably loud with the volume knob at 9 o'clock. It would be uncomfortably loud at 12 o'clock. At 85% (3 o'clock?) something would break.

Nigel.

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Sounds odd. When I heard 803s they could certainly go loud!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• r100gs
            • May 2005

Maybe try the 4 ohm taps?
            Jay

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

I can't speak to your situation directly , but many years ago I noticed that distortion is often mistaken for volume. I would find myself quite surprised at how far down the street my stereo could be heard when I felt it was barely in the "We be jammin' " mode. Clean sound can get very loud without seeming loud at all. An amp that's clipping can sound like a concert , but barely can be heard on the front porch. I started listening to loud rock as a kid and early on learned to think clipping/distortion=loud. Also , are the B & Ws fused ? Lastly , have you tried different speaker cable ? Or installing the bridges on the binding posts and trying them without the bi-wiring ?
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by r100gs
                I just thought of this too, even though they are claimed to be 8 ohms the impedance on the 803 drops to about 3 ohms IIRC. The lowest impedance of the 800 series (just) and probably any speaker B&W make.

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• TomScrut
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Alaric
                  I can't speak to your situation directly , but many years ago I noticed that distortion is often mistaken for volume. I would find myself quite surprised at how far down the street my stereo could be heard when I felt it was barely in the "We be jammin' " mode. Clean sound can get very loud without seeming loud at all. An amp that's clipping can sound like a concert , but barely can be heard on the front porch. I started listening to loud rock as a kid and early on learned to think clipping/distortion=loud. Also , are the B & Ws fused ? Lastly , have you tried different speaker cable ? Or installing the bridges on the binding posts and trying them without the bi-wiring ?
                  I agree here too, since getting my 802 Diamonds (going from 803Ss) it's amazing how loud you can end up listening to music and not realizing how loud it is until you try communicating with the person sat next to you!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                    Based on my personal experience, I concur.

Comment

• dan87951
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by r100gs
                      +1 Most B&W need the 4ohm taps. I bet that rig sounds sweet though! Wish I could demo that setup, jealous!
                      dan87951
                      audio guru

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"