X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsteele3200
    • Feb 2014

B&W 801 Series 2 lacking bass

Hi - I have a pair of B&W 801 Series 2 monitors newly acquired.

The are being powered by a Parasound Halo A52.

The high frequency and midrange are fantastic - the low frequency drivers are pretty good too but i'm not feeling much below 100hz - they are surprisingly lacking in bass.

I've checked my cabling and everything is in phase.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks.
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Do you have anything in the way of room treatments and have you tried moving them to see if this makes a difference? I have a lull in my room between 50 and 100Hz because of cancellations, and the only solution is to treat the room or use room eq.
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• jsteele3200
      • Feb 2014

Thanks for the reply - yes, they are on a film dub stage - the room is nicely tuned......

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

There shouldn't miss any bass. If so, something is wrong.
        I would check first which frequencies are reproduced.
        Do you have a test-cd or -dvd with different frequencies?

Something else.
        How are the speakers connected to the amplifier? If each speaker is only connected with two cinch cables, are the speaker terminals bridged?
        Last edited by JürgenW; 25 February 2014, 13:03 Tuesday.

Comment

• TomScrut
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Nov 2013

Have you tried setting the room up with that speaker? I have found different speakers need different placements.
          Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• jsteele3200
            • Feb 2014

yes, I do have test tones which I will run today.

Speakers are bridged back to the Parasound amp - good solid connections and thick cable.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

May be an obvious question but have you checked that the woofer is active on both speakers? Do your series two have single inputs or dual for bi-wire? if so you could disconnect the tweeter section. Makes it easier to test

Comment

• Freddie40
                • Jun 2009

Do you have the Bass Alignment filters inline? Without it you will have less bass. The bass alignment is an equalization filter that goes between the preamp and power amp.

Also, check that the shorting link are installed if you are not bi-wiring. I am assuming that they probably are if you are complaining about 100htz and below, but it is still worth checking. The shorting link will connect the 2 sets of binding posts, i.e. the highs and the lows. To see if they are you need to take the bottom off and check the shorting wires (see diagram).

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"