X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rompower
    • May 2008

Moving 802D

Hey all!

As the title says... Is it possible to move the 802D without wrapping them in original boxes? :P I'm always nervous about the midrange getting knocked off lol

I'll probably move them in the basement

Thanks for any comment/help/suggestion/arms?
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

I had to move my 802D's from LA to Miami, Miami to Dallas, then my 802DI's, Dallas to Plano, and Plano back to Miami! Always in their original boxes - no problems. But, if your just moving them to your basement, just screw in the midrange tube cap in the rear. The manual says the Marlan head will support the speaker. When I switched the rollers for the spikes, I set them down using the Marlan mid range enclosure.

My kid put his finger through the tweeter - that's $1,000 to replace.... so, Mid range = OK - tweeter = empty pockets!

PS - the concrete walls in your basement will reinforce the bass quite a bit
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• rompower
      • May 2008

Seriously? We just need to screw the Marlan head and we're good to move it by holding the midrange ? Nice then! Didn't want to find the tool to snap braces around the boxes

Thanks for your input Pio

How do you compare 802D to DI ?

Comment

• Pio
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by rompower
        Seriously? We just need to screw the Marlan head and we're good to move it by holding the midrange ? Nice then! Didn't want to find the tool to snap braces around the boxes

Thanks for your input Pio

How do you compare 802D to DI ?
        Yes, that's how I have done it - screw midrange cap at the end of the tube and have someone help you. The older 802D's are actually heavier than the new ones by like 10 lbs.

IMO, The older version compares very favorably to the new model. The new version is a bit smoother up top, still very detailed and clean but not as sharp. The upper midrange is the same, I didn't notice much of a difference. The biggest improvement is the bass. It's tighter, and a bit stronger. It sounds stronger but smoother, does that make sense? But it's not a huge difference. There was a bigger difference to my ears when I switched from the N802 to the 802D. I never fell in love with the N802, sounded shouty to me. The D version took care of that.

One thing that I do notice with the new ones that I didnt as much with the earlier version - is I can totally hear the different mics , production techniques of compilation albums, like the Best of the Eagles vol 1 & 2. The stuff that was recorded in 1976 sounds better than the 1979 songs. Even my wife could hear the difference the other night. It was either the new speakers or the wine, but we had FUN comparing!

What I have noticed is that the 802's really need to be placed properly. new version or old, both will sound too bass heavy if they're too close to the front wall. Right now, I think I found my sweet spot - they're about 5 ft from the front wall and roughly 3 feet from the sides. This is my set up, sounds very good - the bass is solid and impactfull and the imaging is pin point perfect:

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• rompower
          • May 2008

Nice Setup
          Your plants should grow pretty fast behind the speakers Vibration actually breaks the stem (i think that's the word) and well... It generate itself faster and stronger after .. Like the wind on the trees and plants

Comment

• rompower
            • May 2008

Anyone here experienced comparison between keeping/removing the metal cap screwed at the rear of the mid? :P

I know it's off topic but well.. eheh we just talk about screwing it for transport

Comment

• Pio
              • Nov 2005

Rompower, I'm pretty sure the screw is only there to keep the midrange in place for moving The speaker. That tube is what the driver assembly is screwed onto. I haven't checked but the midrange driver might actually vent through that hole.

Regardless, try it if you want but it wasn't designed to have it on during playback.

Let us know what you find

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Hee hee, mine are only a 1ft away from the back wall... and the bass is amazing, imaging is scary at times. I found out if I move them out more, it all goes away. Course we are talking about 20 hours of tweaking to find the right spot. Amazing what .5" does in any direction, especially when you keep track of where they've been and what they sound like. Each room is different. I have solid concrete block and earth behind my speakers which I think helps.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• Rod#S
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                  I had to move my 802D's from LA to Miami, Miami to Dallas, then my 802DI's, Dallas to Plano, and Plano back to Miami! Always in their original boxes - no problems. But, if your just moving them to your basement, just screw in the midrange tube cap in the rear. The manual says the Marlan head will support the speaker. When I switched the rollers for the spikes, I set them down using the Marlan mid range enclosure.

My kid put his finger through the tweeter - that's $1,000 to replace.... so, Mid range = OK - tweeter = empty pockets!

PS - the concrete walls in your basement will reinforce the bass quite a bit
                  A question for you, how did you secure up the outer cardboard shell? I keep all of my packing material and reassembling the inner shell and framing is easy but when the time comes I'm not sure what's the best way to secure the outer shell to try and get it as close to possible to how tight the straps were on the original packing.
                  B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• HedgeHog
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rod#S
                    A question for you, how did you secure up the outer cardboard shell? I keep all of my packing material and reassembling the inner shell and framing is easy but when the time comes I'm not sure what's the best way to secure the outer shell to try and get it as close to possible to how tight the straps were on the original packing.
                    When I shipped mine back to the dealer, I used banding buckles and some straps. Cheap and very secure.

Uline stocks over 29,000 shipping boxes, packing materials and mailing supplies. Same day shipping for cardboard shipping boxes, plastic bags, janitorial, retail and shipping supplies.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
                    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
                    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
                    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
                    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• Rod#S
                      • Oct 2010

Ah, cool, thanks
                      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"