X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Weakest Link

Hello everyone. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this. What is the weakest link in your set up? Or what piece will benefit the greatest in being replaced with something higher end?

Where would speakers be in this chain?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I think the weakest link(s) is my Rotel equipment now. The pre-amp and amp. Now by weak, I don't mean they are bad or inferior...but I feel I would have to upgrade these to get a much better sound.

The other thing I've also considered is my DAC. I need something like the Total-DAC I think!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Rod#S
      • Oct 2010

For me it's my cables at this point. Sure I could add more power moving from 4B/6B up to 7B but it's not really necessary. I love my tv, speakers and SSP although I wish it had HDMI, my Blu-ray player is still performing wonderfully and I'm more than happy with my Furman's for supplying voltage regulation and surge protection.

As for areas which can generally provide the most noticeable improvements are better speakers and room treatments, more so than electronics in my opinion.
      B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• audiogear
        • Sep 2011

A matching 3 channel amp and separate pre/pro followed by power conditioner and power cables.
        Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

So in a typical 2 channel set up, what would be the weakest link? What would give you the biggest jump in sound quality should you upgrade that piece of the chain?
          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR
          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• fozzer424
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BWLover
            What would give you the biggest jump in sound quality should you upgrade that piece of the chain?
            Speakers, without question. It has the biggest impact on what you are (or aren't) hearing. A close second would be the room you're putting them in; make sure you have proper room acoustics set up.

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by fozzer424
              Speakers, without question. It has the biggest impact on what you are (or aren't) hearing. A close second would be the room you're putting them in; make sure you have proper room acoustics set up.
              The room comes first, then speakers, then everything else.
              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Source (digital) for me.
                Waiting for one more month before I order my Oppo 105 to bring my 2-channel system up to par with the rest of my components.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"