X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

CM9 vs 804S

So, I've got the upgrade itch. I am happy with my electronics and cables. If I were to upgrade electronics I would have to replace everything. I'm just OCD that way. SO, why not upgrade the speakers. So my question is...CM9 or 804S (not current diamond, the previous gen). Discuss!
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • ldgibson76
    • Aug 2011

Regards,

ldgibson76
    My Setup
    The 2 Channel Within
    "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
    -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Comment

• sgtjim57
      • Dec 2008

I'll bite, get the 804S. Just purchased N804, previous previous edition to the diamond and I'm happy with what they do for my ears.
      Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
      SVS SB 2000 X 2
      Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
      Oppo BDP 93
      Apple TV 4K
      B & W N804 Mains
      B & W 603 Rear surrounds
      B & W LCR 600 Center
      B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
      Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• leo2498
        • Feb 2012

The 804S is the better option, I have the 804S and it will be stay in my living room for long time.
        Leo,
        Saludos
        My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

They are pretty close , I've done a side by side and I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. Now going to the N803's or 803D is another story.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

IMO 804s is noticeably better than the CM9.. The CM9's are no slouches, but are not as open and offer more cabinet coloration..
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

Or maybe ill just buy the 804 Diamonds!
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

That's the obvious option
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ldgibson76
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BWLover
                  So, I've got the upgrade itch. I am happy with my electronics and cables. If I were to upgrade electronics I would have to replace everything. I'm just OCD that way. SO, why not upgrade the speakers. So my question is...CM9 or 804S (not current diamond, the previous gen). Discuss!
                  If your satisfied with the 683's performance but you desire an improvement in aesthetics, then go with the CM9's. The difference in sound quality between the two are minor, giving the edge to the CM9's. That's because of the cabinetry and improved tweeter array. Many question if the CM9's advantages merit the $750 premium over the 683's.

If you want to step up the overall performance, then definitely, go with the 804S's! It is a better speaker from top to bottom with more range and extension. You also stated that you are considering the 804D's. If that's in you budget, then by all means man, dew-wit!
                  Regards,

ldgibson76
                  My Setup
                  The 2 Channel Within
                  "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
                  -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                  -Douglas Adams

Comment

• emig5m
                    • Aug 2008

Or maybe ill just buy the 804 Diamonds!
                    I've demoed the 683 and 804S side-by-side in-store and in-home. I've also heard the new 804Di (along with the CM9 at another store). I'd get the new diamond tweeter if you can afford it and wont plan on upgrading in a long while. If you already had the 804S I'd say skip the 804Di and go to the 802D2. If doing surround sound factor in the astronomical cost of matching center and rears which would make the 800 S series a much more affordable upgrade. In the end the price difference doesn't all go to the sound quality - factor in a lot of the cost goes to the build quality and nice cabinets. The 683 is a very nice "performer" at the end of the day and the 804S is a little more open out of the box sound (and 3D) and less colored/more natural but the price difference isn't just in the sound alone. The tweeter in the 804Di is also more detailed, smoother, and natural than the S series. It's just a very pristine, detailed, airy, and uncolored sound ...what else can I say, lol. But is it worth the price? To me it isn't already owning the 804S but that's up to you and how much you're into it.

Myself, I wanna go a different route anymore. I've always admired a system that doesn't "look all that" but blows your mind away with performance when you hear it not expecting much. I'd love to have 5 805Di's all the way around with two smaller Sunfire sized subs, heh. To this day the 685 is still one of my favorite B&W speakers because of this because they don't look like much but WOW you with much larger than they look sound and performance (when setup good).

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"