X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcsun
    • Jan 2012

p3 or p5?

Went and tried both sets of headphones today. My preference is to buy the p3's. I think they sound better, are lighter to wear (although I am only getting them for working in the garden and when I am on the mower etc)

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding these headphones?

kc
    Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
    B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I haven't compared them, but I have the p5's and am extremely happy with them. The p3's are a lot lighter.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Pio
      • Nov 2005

I've had the 5's for a while, got my wife the 3's for Christmas. They're both excellent portable headphones. I think I like the P3's a tad more.
      Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• Pio
        • Nov 2005

After spending more time with both, the P5 is for sure the way to go. More transparent, better highs. Still like the 3's, but the 5's convey better detail. If ur listening to low quality mp3's on a portable device, u might prefer the 3's more syrupy presentation as it will tame the hash significantly. If ur listening to high quality files, even streaming 253ks from iTunes music match, go with the 5's.
        Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• leej
          • Feb 2009

The P3, besides being lighter is not sound isolating, while the P5 is. Using the P5 while lawn mowing might have some benefit. However, you might find the openness of the P3 may be more desirable for other occasions.
          I opted for the P5 because it felt more comfortable and prefer the sound isolation of the closed back.
          Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
          B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• kcsun
            • Jan 2012

I have bought the P3's but grass is way to wet to cut yet
            Will update in March when I do the first cut of the season!!
            kc
            Arcam avr600, Sky HD 2Tb, Oppo 103D, Sony VPL-VW500ES, Phillips large Pronto pro remote
            B&W 803Di speakers, B&W HTM2Di centre speaker, B&W 7NT in wall rear speakers, B&W ASW1000 Sub

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

lol, looking forward to the update!
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• 97disco
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kcsun
                I have bought the P3's but grass is way to wet to cut yet
                Will update in March when I do the first cut of the season!!
                kc

:roll:
                B&W 704's
                B&W HTM7
                B&W DS7's (rears)
                B&W 850 Subwoofer
                Rotel RSP 1066
                Rotel RMB 1075
                Rotel RDV-1060
                B&W Zepplin

Comment

• emig5m
                  • Aug 2008

I didn't like the B&W headphones. They sounded like you where listening to a midrange driver without a tweeter or woofer - very lifeless, dull, stale, and with no impact. They actually reminded me more of the stock ear buds that come with an ipod or Zune. I demoed them both along with a bunch of other expensive headphones and went with the Sennheiser HD558 which actually sounded at least three times as good as the B&W headphones with much more clarity, detail, and impact. I demoed about 16 pairs of headphones and the Sennheiser HD558s where clearly the best sounding and performing.

Comment

• leej
                    • Feb 2009

I don't think Sennheiser HD558 was a choice in the criteria, but did you use them to mow the lawn?
                    Lee J

B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• kcsun
                      • Jan 2012

Grass is starting to grow, may have to get the mower and headphones out soon, the wife has been breaking them in on her wobbly machine :P :W

Comment

• leej
                        • Feb 2009

I never used headphones while mowing before, but I cut my yard and the neighbors front, too. Its still cool enough in Houston to use them without sweatig too much, but that won't last long. Soon it will be way to hot.
                        Anyway, I found the P5 too diatracting to use while operating a such dangerous machine. The neighbor's kids were yelling at me and I never heard them. Maybe the P3 would be better here, both for sweating and the lack of sound isolation.
                        Lee J

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by leej
                          I never used headphones while mowing before, but I cut my yard and the neighbors front, too. Its still cool enough in Houston to use them without sweatig too much, but that won't last long. Soon it will be way to hot.
                          Anyway, I found the P5 too diatracting to use while operating a such dangerous machine. The neighbor's kids were yelling at me and I never heard them. Maybe the P3 would be better here, both for sweating and the lack of sound isolation.
                          That was my exact thought - too dangerous to be using headphones while doing these types of activities. One dump truck at work has no stereo and I thought I'd use my ear buds with my phone, boy not a good idea while driving IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"