Has anyone compared the 805S with the 804S?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romnation
    • Jan 2010

Has anyone compared the 805S with the 804S?

I have a chance to upgrade from the 805s to the 804S. How does it compare to the 805 in terms of tonal balance? (is it brighter? warmer? the same?) what else is different between the 2 speakers?
  • Charlieu
    • Oct 2008

I'd say the tonal balance is pretty similar. I use the 805S for rear speakers with 804S for my mains. The 804S sounds more composed and fuller than the 805S. While the single mid/bass driver in the 805 is pretty amazing, it can't keep up with the FST and dedicated woofers.

The 804S is also much taller than the 805S.

Comment

• John22614
      • Feb 2010

I did an extended test of the two at home a couple years ago when I was deciding which ones to buy. I even went so far as to connect the shelf unit to one side and the floor stander to the other to compare them while moving the balance setting from one side to the other. I realize this is not a soundstage test, but it revealed a lot about the tonal differences between the two. Here's what I found:

The 805 is en excellent speaker but sounds a little flat in comparison to the 804. The 804 has richer, fuller and more natural tonal quality, and also has a deeper sense of layering. And, although the 805's sound very good in stereo, I still noticed a slight boxy quality outside the sweet spot that was not present with the 804's. And, needless to say, the two bass drivers of the 804's anchor the sound in a way that the 805's can't begin to achieve.

It's a lot like comparing the two corresponding center speakers. While the HTMS4 is an excellent speaker, it's bigger brother shines with a fuller and more natural sound, and not surprisingly, costs a lot more. I bought the smaller center primarily due to space constraints and am quite happy with it. But, I must say listening to the 804's music in stereo is superb. There is an effortless, natural sound that is without any hint of harshness or strain. If you can, I suggest you bring the 804's home for a similar test.....many people say they prefer the 805's when properly set up usually with a good sub mixed in. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that the 804's were the superior choice for me.
      B&W 804s Mains
      B&W HTM4 Center
      Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
      Marantz AV 7005 processor
      Anthem MCA 30 Amp
      Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• emig5m
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by John22614
        I did an extended test of the two at home a couple years ago when I was deciding which ones to buy. I even went so far as to connect the shelf unit to one side and the floor stander to the other to compare them while moving the balance setting from one side to the other. I realize this is not a soundstage test, but it revealed a lot about the tonal differences between the two. Here's what I found:

The 805 is en excellent speaker but sounds a little flat in comparison to the 804. The 804 has richer, fuller and more natural tonal quality, and also has a deeper sense of layering. And, although the 805's sound very good in stereo, I still noticed a slight boxy quality outside the sweet spot that was not present with the 804's. And, needless to say, the two bass drivers of the 804's anchor the sound in a way that the 805's can't begin to achieve.

It's a lot like comparing the two corresponding center speakers. While the HTMS4 is an excellent speaker, it's bigger brother shines with a fuller and more natural sound, and not surprisingly, costs a lot more. I bought the smaller center primarily due to space constraints and am quite happy with it. But, I must say listening to the 804's music in stereo is superb. There is an effortless, natural sound that is without any hint of harshness or strain. If you can, I suggest you bring the 804's home for a similar test.....many people say they prefer the 805's when properly set up usually with a good sub mixed in. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that the 804's were the superior choice for me.
        I want to upgrade my 685 rears to matching 800 series at some point. I have the 804S and HTM3S up front and wonder if since I have the room in the rear for the floorstanders should I just get another pair of 804S and have pretty much matched speakers all the way around or are the 804S overkill for rear channels and the 805S would suffice? Another idea I had was to replace my 804S in the front with 803S and move the 804S to the rears...

Comment

• Charlieu
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
          I want to upgrade my 685 rears to matching 800 series at some point. I have the 804S and HTM3S up front and wonder if since I have the room in the rear for the floorstanders should I just get another pair of 804S and have pretty much matched speakers all the way around or are the 804S overkill for rear channels and the 805S would suffice? Another idea I had was to replace my 804S in the front with 803S and move the 804S to the rears...
          Using the 804S for rears/surrounds probably is overkill, but you should be able to find a used pair for a good price and they will have a smaller footprint than 805's on a stand. Your other idea of getting the 803S for your mains will give you the best chance to hear a real improvement in sound. Especially for movies. If you are into multichannel music, both options will sound great.

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

If you have the space for towers in the rears I say go for it. Either of your options would sound incredible especially with music. The use of the towers over the 805S may not make as much of a difference for movies.
            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

If you can find 803S I would add those as the mains and move the 804S to surround duty. There is more content being mixed in surrounds and the 3-way design of those speakers will give you the overall best balanced sound all around.

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

Movies and games are my main surround sound usage. Music is mainly stereo for source. I'm a little bummed none of them can still be bought new as I was recently looking at some used B&W's on Audiogon and every one of them had cosmetic flaws and I've owned all my current speakers since brand new except my sub. I'll have to keep an eye out for local sales to where I can inspect before buying. I'm in no rush, I'll buy when a good deal arrives. Now for stereo music will the 803S be an improvement if I'm using a sub or will an improvement only be noticed once the sub is taken out of the mix? I always wanted to do an in depth comparison of the 805S to the 804S for fun and having bookshelf speakers for rears gives you more versatility for placement if space changes in the future.

Comment

• quan325i
                  • Apr 2005

I owned them both but I think pair of 805N couple with a REL strata III will outperform the 804N anyday.

QN

Comment

• Antus
                    • Apr 2008

Movies and games are my main surround sound usage. Music is mainly stereo for source. I'm a little bummed none of them can still be bought new as I was recently looking at some used B&W's on Audiogon and every one of them had cosmetic flaws and I've owned all my current speakers since brand new except my sub. I'll have to keep an eye out for local sales to where I can inspect before buying. I'm in no rush, I'll buy when a good deal arrives. Now for stereo music will the 803S be an improvement if I'm using a sub or will an improvement only be noticed once the sub is taken out of the mix? I always wanted to do an in depth comparison of the 805S to the 804S for fun and having bookshelf speakers for rears gives you more versatility for placement if space changes in the future.
                    I think 803S and 804S are nearly the same. look for 802 that will give you real improvement.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Antus
                      I think 803S and 804S are nearly the same. look for 802 that will give you real improvement.
                      What are you basing this on? Have you owned either? On the surface, yes, they appear to be spec'd the same, but those extra cabinet cubic inches and larger woofers of the 803S do indeed make a tangible difference!

I've owned the 804S and 803S and now the 802D's and if the OP were to jump to the larger speaker they would have to also consider changing their center and rears to matching diamonds in order to maintain a cohesive sound.

Comment

• Antus
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by scanido
                        What are you basing this on? Have you owned either? On the surface, yes, they appear to be spec'd the same, but those extra cabinet cubic inches and larger woofers of the 803S do indeed make a tangible difference!

I've owned the 804S and 803S and now the 802D's and if the OP were to jump to the larger speaker they would have to also consider changing their center and rears to matching diamonds in order to maintain a cohesive sound.
                        We did demo while shoping for main speakers. although 803S has a little more (only slightly) over 804S, they are basically the same. However, i found that 803S is more sensitive than 804S. We had to turn up the volume couple dB to match the SPL of both speaker.

We finally decided to go all the way to 802D, they are great speakers and we have no regret so far (even after 802 Diamond came out)

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"