Is a 23x16 room too small for B&W 802Ds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romnation
    • Jan 2010

Is a 23x16 room too small for B&W 802Ds?

I'm considering getting them for my room, but I'm hoping the bass isn't too boomy. I will have a full acoustically treated dedicated room for 2 channel music listening. I will also be using subs with an external crossover to take care of everything at 80hz and below.

Also, has anyone compared the 802Ds to the 805S? (This is what I'm currently using, and like a lot) Obviously the 805S will have more bass, but in terms of highs, mids, and everything else, how does it compare?
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

I have the 805s and have had the 802 diamonds. In general I would say the 802s have more bass. :P

Appart from that, its night and day. The 802s destroy the 805s in all areas. No contest at all.

As for room size, if you mean 23xz16 feets, I think it will be fine. Enjoy and remember go get adequate amplification.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

romnation,

That room is not too small for 802's. I have 802D's in an 11' X 16' room that s also acoustically treated. they sound awesome in there.

I echo what Skyblue said, make sure you have good, current delivering amplification. The 802's perform their best with high current.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 27 November 2011, 13:05 Sunday.

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

You will be well served. I also think the room size depends the owner taste (kind of music). But of course there is a minimum space, yours is more than recommended. Owning 801D I prefer them playing in an exclusive 40sqm room than a 50/60sqm by the simple fact I like to hear a punchy sound. I had experiences listening the same speaker in a 60 sqm room and definitely didnt like, the sound was really great very spacious but lost that power and bass attack.

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

Don't forget that the ceiling height matters too. Generally it's not simply the size (area) of the room that's important; the volume of the room makes quite a difference too.

I just moved into a new place and my new room is a lot bigger particularly when one takes into account the ceiling. With the greater volume of air, my setup really sings sweetly. It sounded good at the old place but wow does it ever sound good now!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"