X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

What center to use with Matrix 802 Series 3

I am considering purchasing some 802 Series 3 speakers. These would be used primarily for home theater. I need a matching center but not so sure that I can find anything that will match.

I originally bought an HTM1 with intent to switch to a full B&W system. Just sold it with thoughts about switching to something else but I miss the performance of it so much that I need to get back into B&W's.

My room is a dedicated theater. Only 12 feet across and 23 feet long (approx dimensions). Speakers cannot be more than 2 feet from front wall.

Would I get better performance from the Matrix 802's and a center or should I go with something newer? I did consider 804's and an HTM3S however it is at the top of my price range.

Thanks
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Have you considered 805s with the HTM4s? This should save you about $2300 on the used market and these speakers will be easier to place with a narrow room. If you add two subs, this would make quite a nice setup.

Cheers

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• mpauline
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuofsci02
      Have you considered 805s with the HTM4s? This should save you about $2300 on the used market and these speakers will be easier to place with a narrow room. If you add two subs, this would make quite a nice setup.

Cheers

Stuart
      Thanks Stuart. I had not really thought of bookshelf speakers however they may work quite nicely with two subs as you suggest. Need to find some to audition. I was going to buy 804's and an HTM3s but would cost me about $4500 and need to ship from Saskatchewan without having listened to them. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by mpauline
        Thanks Stuart. I had not really thought of bookshelf speakers however they may work quite nicely with two subs as you suggest. Need to find some to audition. I was going to buy 804's and an HTM3s but would cost me about $4500 and need to ship from Saskatchewan without having listened to them. Decisions, decisions!
        I saw those speakers in Saskatoon on CAM... For the price I would snap them up...
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

You should of course get the HTM matrix. Matches in voice, look, feel etc.. Pretty sure you should be able to find one on the used market.
          If everything else fails I have one, but shipping will be an issue so suggest looking at Audiogon, Canuk etc first..

Comment

• Joawen
            • Mar 2006

I don't agree aarsoe, the 802 series3 are really good speakers and the little HTM with the same treble and midrange is simply not.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Think the biggest issue will be voicing and looks. If that is important then nothing else really matches the matrix series - but sure you can get better than a 20+ year old center speaker..

Comment

• IceG
                • Dec 2008

I agree with Joawen and respectfully disagree with aarsoe.

The 802S3 Matrix speakers are tremendously good with excellent dynamic range, very good bass and power handing and good treble. I had them and replaced them with the 802 Nautilus. I now use the 802 Matrix as my rear speakers where the rotatable head makes positioning so much easier. From experience of auditioning I would rate the 802 Matrix as the equal of the 803 Nautilus, perhaps a little less transparent. Buy them!

When the Matrix speakers were my FL/FR I had a Matrix HTM as the centre and Matrix 805s as surround. The 805s are fantastic little monitors so I figured the HTM (same spec in horizontal format) would be a good centre. Wrong. It was muddy and totally incapable of keeping up with the 802's power. When set to "small" in the processor (Meridian 565 in those days) it was acceptable on quiet material, when set to "large" it was just unacceptable. I upgraded to a digital active Meridian centre which was much better. Without any experience of an audition, at a minimum I would go for the Nautilus HTM1 as a reasonable sonic and quality match; equivalent to the HTM3S I believe.

Again, don't miss out on the 802S3s - they are just so good.

Comment

• IceG
                  • Dec 2008

I forgot to mention; you will need a decent power amp, capable of say 300W into 4ohms, to get the best out of the 802S3s.

I started with Audiolab 8000Ms, then went biamped with more Audiolab and finally went Chord SPM1600 (4 x 200W bi-amplifier).

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"