X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mskvarenina
    • Sep 2011

Ready made cooling fans?

My gear is within an entertainment center and can get get quite hot when using the gear for a while especially when playing it loud. I was wondering if anyone manufactures small cooling fans that could connect to either a 120V power source or better yet from an available 12V trigger.

I'm not looking for loud heavy duty air movement, just something small to put into the cabinet to help circuilate the air a bit, that should do the trick...
  • leej
    • Feb 2009

There are many ways to do this. I use a computer case fan, connected to an adjustable plug-in (wall wart) transfromer. Adjustable to control the fan speed and noise. Some fans come with adjustable speeds, as well. Just make sure that the amp draw is lower than the rated amps of the trigger and it should work fine. I have seen some dedicated kits for modification of cabinets at several electronic stores, in the computer department.
    Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
    B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I use this one in my HT system. I have one for the amp and one for the processor that are in a cabinet. They work very well, are quiet, and plug right into either the back of the amp or a wall outlet, etc.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

These are supposed to be very good/quiet http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=start
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Noctua fans are INSANE. They make no noise themselves...only thing you hear is air moving. I initially got them to decrease the noise of the server (stock fans were insanely loud).

I replaced them all with Noctua fans and it's pretty darn quiet (enough that I hear all 20 HDs instead of the fans). You will hear air moving...but for the amount they move and how quiet they are... no other fans I have found compare.

In the server to help move more air I doubled up on the fans and it made it a slight bit noisy (these are 6 120mm fans)...but it's still less noisy than just 1 (maybe 2) of my other 120mm fans I had in there (and those were quiet variable speed ones).

Noctua also give you two "jumpers" that have resistors in them to slow the fans down over their max speed to make them "quiet" and "ultra quiet." Of course doing this means it doesn't move as much air...but if you are sitting right next to your case, that's about the only reason I would see to use them.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Here you go:

Comment

• mskvarenina
              • Sep 2011

Thanks. The Antec "soundscience" cooler arrived today. Seems like it will do the trick for $70. Nice and quiet, just wish it had a thermostat (to only come on when needed) and the ability to turn off the birght blue LED and/or a 12V connection to trigger its operation.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by mskvarenina
                Thanks. The Antec "soundscience" cooler arrived today. Seems like it will do the trick for $70. Nice and quiet, just wish it had a thermostat (to only come on when needed) and the ability to turn off the birght blue LED and/or a 12V connection to trigger its operation.
                I keep mine on the low speed setting and they just constantly run.

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

You could purchase a power bar with a 12v trigger and let that power the unit. That way it will only run when the unit is powered up.

Comment

• aarsoe
                    • May 2004

Any chance you could take a photo of how it looks? Especially if you have with Classe gear - but I will take any picture just to get a feel for it.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"