X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gfcf42489
    • Oct 2011

Will the CM8s be too big for my room?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers in my music system and am unsure as to what route to go. I have Rotel componenets (RCD-1072, RC-1082, RB-1080) and an older set of bookshelf speakers (Energy RVS) with an Energy encore sub. The system is in a finished carpeted basement which room dimensions are L24 X W10 X H7.

I am interested in the CM series, but have only heard the CM1 and was pretty impressed by it. The models in the CM range I am considering are the CM5 and the CM8. I wouldn't mind the CM5 at all but with the cost of stands I'm almost up near the CM8's price anyway. I would love to go with the CM8 but I'm not sure if a floorstander like the CM8 will be too big in a room like mine. The advantages of the CM8 is that I'll be getting the dedicated midrange driver and I can eventually do away with my sub and invest into a higher gauge quality speaker wire for them.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Welcome to the forum!

I definately do not think that CM8's will be too big for your room. Aside from being a bit narrow your room is actually quite large.

If you were to place the speakers about 8ft apart (2-3ft off the backwall) and sit about 8 ft from them I think it would be a nice setup.

I agree, the FST midrange is a nice feature on the CM8.

Until you have everything else worked out I would not focus on speaker wire. A well built 14 awg cable will work fine with this setup, and should not cost more then a buck a foot.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

gfcf42489,

Welcome to the forum! :T

I agree with Stuart. That's a nice size room and the CM8's will be quite nice in there. I have 802D's in a smaller room than yours (11X16), and they work quite well.

One thing to consider down the road are acoustic treatments. They can take a good room and turn it into an excellent room.

With a room that size, keep the sub. You can experiment with and w/o the sub to see how it works in that room. I assume the room is enclosed, no open areas where bass and other sound will leak out.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• gfcf42489
        • Oct 2011

Thanks Stuart. I shouldn't have any problem pulling them out from the back wall since my room is quite long. I'm just worried about the width of the room since I'd like to keep them at least a foot or two away from the side walls as well, but don't want them so close together that the imaging suffers.

Thanks Steve. My room is not entirely closed since there is an opening into a smaller room, but I always close those doors when listening to music.

So it looks like the CM8s wont be overbearing at all. Has anyone compared the CM8s to CM5s at a dealer or anywhere? Just curious to see how the smaller guy performed in comparison with its bigger sibling.

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Without and audition in your own room (which I would suggest by the way) I would favor the CM8 over the CM5 for a few reasons..

First your room is narrow. Believe it or not the CM5 is a much wider speaker then the CM8. This will make it a tad more difficult to place. In a narrow room and narrower speaker should image a little better, and not interact as much with the room boundaries.

Second, your room has a fair bit of air volume. This will eat up the bass. Having the extra bass drivers and dedicated mid range will mean you will get better bass extension and a crisp midrange, even with the volume up.

It sounds like you will get better value out of the CM8 if they are not much more then the CM5 with stands...

But a good dealer should let you try both in your own home, so I would suggest trying both..

Cheers

Stuart
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by gfcf42489
            Has anyone compared the CM8s to CM5s at a dealer or anywhere? Just curious to see how the smaller guy performed in comparison with its bigger sibling.
            Well with the 600 series 685 vs 683 I can tell you that there's a good difference with midrange detail and clarity. Enough so that even the bass difference didn't matter as much to me. You can really tell with well recorded recordings with vocals, piano, solo guitar, etc.etc... Don't get me wrong, the small guys are really good, can't take anything away from them and almost gave up towers for the little guys they're that good and impressive for their size. But if you really care for critical listening with the utmost clarity and detail the 3-ways with the FST mids are a no-brainer.... They're just more open, detailed, and out of the box, bigger soundstage and everything...

Over the summer I was into more outdoorsy hobbies, but now that I'm back indoors I've been doing a lot of music listening and I'm just stoked every time I fire up the 804S's. I still can't believe you can get headphone level detail from loudspeakers when everything is setup and tweaked properly, hehe...

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
              Well with the 600 series 685 vs 683 I can tell you that there's a good difference with midrange detail and clarity. Enough so that even the bass difference didn't matter as much to me. You can really tell with well recorded recordings with vocals, piano, solo guitar, etc.etc... Don't get me wrong, the small guys are really good, can't take anything away from them and almost gave up towers for the little guys they're that good and impressive for their size. But if you really care for critical listening with the utmost clarity and detail the 3-ways with the FST mids are a no-brainer.... They're just more open, detailed, and out of the box, bigger soundstage and everything...

Over the summer I was into more outdoorsy hobbies, but now that I'm back indoors I've been doing a lot of music listening and I'm just stoked every time I fire up the 804S's. I still can't believe you can get headphone level detail from loudspeakers when everything is setup and tweaked properly, hehe...
              And to think.. Those 804s were on the chopping block a couple of months ago...
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                And to think.. Those 804s were on the chopping block a couple of months ago...
                I know, what was I thinking? One of my top five favorite things I've ever owned and I was wanting to get rid of them. Note to self: These are keepers for the long haul. But now I want to get another pair for rear channels, hehe...

Comment

• KRC
                  • Aug 2004

I have the 703's and comparing them to the 705's was night and day. The two lines are very similiar, CM's and 700's that is. Yes the same tweeter but going to a dedicated midrange and the dual bass woofers make a huge difference. Now when I was auditioning the two, I was sitting very nearfield for the 705's and way back in my normal position for the 703's. My room being 22x14x7 feet, and it is a living room not a dedicated listening room so moving the speakers/compoinents was not an option. So in the nearfield, the 705's were exceptional and way back giving my 703's room to breath they were in their spot. Point being depending where your sitting position is and other equipment, room treatment, cables (I know lets not even get started) can all make a change to the perceived sound.

Kevin

Comment

• gfcf42489
                    • Oct 2011

Thanks guys. I was even thinking about the CM9s for a while but it's a bit over my budget. So I think the CM8s would be an ideal choice.

Are the CM8s neutral? I've heard some describe them as "warm" while others have said they have great clarity.

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
                      I know, what was I thinking? One of my top five favorite things I've ever owned and I was wanting to get rid of them. Note to self: These are keepers for the long haul. But now I want to get another pair for rear channels, hehe...
                      I am usually pretty frugal but I have bought some nice cars over the years. Besides the house we live in, I think that my 802D speakers are probably my top favorite purchase. I listen to my stereo at least 4 or 5 times a week and quite often for more than an hour at a time just sitting and listening. Cars are great on a winding scenic road with no traffic but those moments can be rare, I can sit down almost any time and put a great song on and turn up the music and get an instant smile on my face

Comment

• stuofsci02
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                        I am usually pretty frugal but I have bought some nice cars over the years. Besides the house we live in, I think that my 802D speakers are probably my top favorite purchase. I listen to my stereo at least 4 or 5 times a week and quite often for more than an hour at a time just sitting and listening. Cars are great on a winding scenic road with no traffic but those moments can be rare, I can sit down almost any time and put a great song on and turn up the music and get an instant smile on my face
                        Spacemanrick,

I have a new toy to go with your Squeezebox Touch..

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo...

No need for a computer anymore.. Just get one of these boxes, pop a couple of 2TB drives into it, plug into your router and copy your music on. It runs squeezecenter right on the readyNAS and also does Raid so your music is mirrored on the other driver (never lose it).

I set mine up last night and so far it has been awesome...
                        Main System:
                        B&W 801D
                        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                        Oppo BDP-105
                        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                        B&W CM7
                        Emotiva UMC-1
                        Emotiva UPA-2
                        Oppo BDP-83SE
                        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                          • May 2005

Spacemanrick,

I have a new toy to go with your Squeezebox Touch..

Netgear ReadyNAS Duo...

No need for a computer anymore.. Just get one of these boxes, pop a couple of 2TB drives into it, plug into your router and copy your music on. It runs squeezecenter right on the readyNAS and also does Raid so your music is mirrored on the other driver (never lose it).

I set mine up last night and so far it has been awesome...
                          Stuart, just like when I was originally thinking of upgrading my system 6 months ago you seem to have no problems spending my money for me :lol:

I will look into the Netgear further but I think for my next upgrade I will first look into is a better DAC or 2 bass traps for the front of my room. Thanks for the push in the direction of the squeezebox, I am amazed every time I use it. The latest software upgrade for the Squeezepad program, with the direct link to wikipedia for the song and album you are playing is pretty cool also :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Stuart, just like when I was originally thinking of upgrading my system 6 months ago you seem to have no problems spending my money for me :lol:

I will look into the Netgear further but I think for my next upgrade I will first look into is a better DAC or 2 bass traps for the front of my room. Thanks for the push in the direction of the squeezebox, I am amazed every time I use it. The latest software upgrade for the Squeezepad program, with the direct link to wikipedia for the song and album you are playing is pretty cool also :T
                            Yeah, spending others money definately does not keep me up at night... :B

I went and listened to the 802Di on Saturday... That upgrade is going to hurt my wallet...! At least that is one upgrade I won't recommend to you...
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                              • May 2005

Yeah, spending others money definately does not keep me up at night... :B

I went and listened to the 802Di on Saturday... That upgrade is going to hurt my wallet...! At least that is one upgrade I won't recommend to you...
                              Stuart, how did the listening session go with the 802DI? Coming from 804's to 802DI myself, I am interested in how would you describe the major differences between your 804's and the 802DI?

Comment

• Grasynoll
                                • Mar 2006

Back to the CM8's. Let me know how they sound. I have a room I think they'll fit in perfectly.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2009

Stuart, how did the listening session go with the 802DI? Coming from 804's to 802DI myself, I am interested in how would you describe the major differences between your 804's and the 802DI?
                                  You've been PM'ed as not to hijack the OP's thread.
                                  Main System:
                                  B&W 801D
                                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                  Oppo BDP-105
                                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                  B&W CM7
                                  Emotiva UMC-1
                                  Emotiva UPA-2
                                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"