X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diononiz
    • May 2011

Looking for smooth CD player for 804 diamonds

I was hoping you all could help me with a good CD player in the 2k range for my new 804 diamond speakers. I also have the following equipment

Arcam AVR400
    Proceed HPA 3 amplifier - for front 3 channels
    Transparent Music link/wave Plus mm2 cables
    Marantz CD5004 Cd player - needs to be replaced
    Monster HTS5100 mark2 power center

I have noticed that my Cd5004 can sound a bit forward and harsh and would like a player to that would be smoother and less fatiguing. I have heard the Mark Levinson 39 in my previous system (with NHT 2.5i speakers) and really liked it. I just dont know if I should be investing in a 10 year old, $2k cd player. I was thinking the following should be on my list and was hoping someone had experience with them

Marantz CD11 or 15
    Mark Levinson 39
    Oppo 95 with modwright tube upgrade
    Classe 102
    Mcintosh cd player
    Sony XA5400ES - but am leaning away from it - heard mixed about the treble

Thanks in advance
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

I have a Sony XA9000ES that I like very much and sounds smooth throughout the scales, but, I'm sure that my Classe gear also helps with the final output.

Also, make sure that you don't have your amps plugged into your power center and plug them directly into the wall sockets. The power center will act like a choke.
    Last edited by beden1; 30 June 2011, 11:01 Thursday.

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

have a sony scd-xa9000es as well and if can find one it is indeed a smooth sounding player of some class

some other alternatives is check out the arcam players as well, top class !

I wouldnt necessarily call the marantz players smooth. but another to check out is the nad m5 player which definitely is not hard edged in any way
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I suggest doing a demo of a Qbase if you can. Chances are that monster power centre is doing more harm than good. The benefit will go across all your components. I have heard it in 4 or five different systems and it's now permanent in 4 of them (the other guy is spending on his house not his hifi).

As for a digital source I would look at a DAC first in this day and age. I use the Naim DAC with my 804s but there are plenty of other out there and it better value for money than a CD player unless you are buying second hand. 10 years old is a different matter as I would be wary of the transport at that age.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"