• Show
Clear All
  • nimrodasas
    • May 2011

help with buying b&w system

hi everyone
    i would like to buy b&w 800 series speakers
    its for HT with a little music

i would like to know if there is a huge diffrence between 803 diamond to 804 diamond

and i wanted to know if the combo of this system is good
    804 diamond
    htm4diamond
    lx83
    and intgrated of m6i music fidlity to add later on

can i take 803diamond with htm4DIAMOND
    or 804diamond with HTM2diamond
    thanks!
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

803diamonds with the htm2diamond. Wont regret it
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

The HTM2D is a perfect match for the 803Ds.

The HTM4D matches the 804Ds.

I guess B&W no longer cares about 802D and 800D owners?

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

I thought someone mentioned that you could still order the htm1d as a special order. Calling them and asking cant hurt.
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• nimrodasas
          • May 2011

and what about the rear speakers
          thanks

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

nimrodasas,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

Beden1 has laid out the best center channel-main speaker combo. Given your preference of HT with some music listening, getting the best center channel you can would be best. The HTM2Di is superb. So in your choices, the 804Di and HTM2Di would be quite good.

As SkyBlue said, the best solution (for both HT and music) would be the best performing solution.

With respect to rear speakers, given your HT setup, the goal would be to match the match the rears as close as you can to the fronts. So B&W speakers would be the place to start. Then the same series (800 series).

Then there is the bookshelf vs. towers for rears thought process. I love towers as rears. Given the uncompressed audio on Blu Ray discs, the capability of the rears can be fully utilized.

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by htsteve; 21 May 2011, 16:22 Saturday.

Comment

• Rod#S
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by beden1
              The HTM2D is a perfect match for the 803Ds.

The HTM4D matches the 804Ds.

I guess B&W no longer cares about 802D and 800D owners?
              It was indeed a sad day when we heard that the HTM1D was being discontinued and would not see the refinements of the new Diamond series. I very much enjoy my HTM2 Diamond but had a HTM1 Diamond been available I would have surely purchased it.
              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Rod#S
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Skyblue
                I thought someone mentioned that you could still order the htm1d as a special order. Calling them and asking cant hurt.
                Yes this has indeed been mentioned in the forums but I don't think anyone ever posted what type of pricing a custom order would cost.
                B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• Skyblue
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Rod#S
                  Yes this has indeed been mentioned in the forums but I don't think anyone ever posted what type of pricing a custom order would cost.
                  I never saw that either. But if one is interested in such a speaker, a phone call is the least you can spend

Comment

• spaceteddy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by nimrodasas
                    i would like to know if there is a huge diffrence between 803 diamond to 804 diamond
                    Hi, I was reading this tread and since I was asking somehow the same question myself some time ago here, you might read this old tread:

Greetings

Comment

• nimrodasas
                      • May 2011

thanks for replay i have another question what will happend if i'll try to drive the 804 diamond with lx83 reciver only by pioneer?
                      and does anyone knows if there is a diffrent between 803 and 804 regarding to the amp i'lll need to drive it?
                      i tought about music fidality mi6
                      thanks for help

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

what will happend if i'll try to drive the 804 diamond with lx83 reciver only by pioneer?
                        and does anyone knows if there is a diffrent between 803 and 804 regarding to the amp i'lll need to drive it?
                        i tought about music fidality mi6
                        thanks for help

The B&W 800 series are really designed for external amps or quality integrated amps (like the MF mi6). Running the 804 or 803s off a reciever is asking for trouble (underdriving speakers can damage them).

As for an amp for the 804s or 803's, a high current 200 watt amp is a good place to start. The mi6, with its dual mono amp design, is a very nice choice for those level of speakers.

The 803, however, will benefit from more power/current, given its extra bass unit.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• nimrodasas
                          • May 2011

underdriving speakers can damage them).
                          wow really?
                          i cant be with out amp like 6 month?

Comment

• nimrodasas
                            • May 2011

and one last question
                            from home teather is it bad to buy only 5 speakers with out subwofer?
                            how much it will damage the sound quality

Comment

• htsteve
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

and one last question
                              from home teather is it bad to buy only 5 speakers with out subwofer?
                              how much it will damage the sound quality

For excellent HT, a sub is needed. Without one, you really miss the low end, and good integration with the rest of the speakers.

Having said that, you can wait a bit on a sub if your amplification of the speakers is really good. Like a very good amp on 803's will produce quite good bass.

An HT can sound good without a sub, but it really is missing a key component of a proper set up.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• htsteve
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

underdriving speakers can damage them).
                                wow really?
                                i cant be with out amp like 6 month?
                                Underpowering a speaker is likely to damage the voice coil due to the excess heat created by distortion. This distortion, called clipping, is created when the amp is not able to supply the power demand when the volume is turned up. If you turn the volume up very high without the power to back it up, you'll end up clipping the signal coming out of the amp. The speaker will try to reproduce this clipped signal, and if played under these circumstances for any length of time, the speaker will not last very long.

This description would be especially true of the 803's. With three bass drivers, it requires lots of power.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• nimrodasas
                                  • May 2011

thanks alot..

Comment

• nimrodasas
                                    • May 2011

sumarry - buying 803 diamond with HTM2 and mi6 connects to lx83 and later add a sub and match a good rear speakers sould be my choice..?

1)i can sleep well with mi6 connect to 803DIAMOND ?

2)i dont need a second amp for htm2d right?

3)and in wall speaker can be good as regular speaker? is b&w creates 800 series match in wall speakers? has anyone knows how is it compare let say 805d

thanks alot guys this forum is awsome!!!

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

nimrodasas,

Your summary sounds very good. The M6i is an integrated amp, so it does 2 channel processing and amplification. However, the M6i has an HT bypass, so you can integrate it into the Pioneer lx83.

Later on, you can add a sub to complete the system.

My answers to questions 1 to 3:

#1 - Yes, and integrate it into the HT system. This would be an excellent set up.

#2 - Not right away on a second amp. However, there will be tonality differences between the MF and your receiver. At some point it is best to get the second amp. Then you will hear system synergy.

#3 - In wall speakers, properly framed and installed, can sound quite excellent. B&W makes high performing in walls.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• nimrodasas
                                        • May 2011

perfect thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"