X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thebeatles67
    • May 2011

Shopping for a pair of 802DI in Southeast USA

Hello everyone --I'm new to this forum but I need some immediate feedback. I'm shopping for new speakers. (just sold my PSB) I was considering getting a used pair of 802D--now I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get a new pair of 802DI (gonna dip into the old retirement account) Im 55--maybe be my last set---so are these a major upgrade to the 2005 "D" series? Im thinking of paying Audio Advice in Raleigh NC a visit soon. Thanks for all advice, input, etc.

My gear
    Amp--McIntosh MC402 stereo amp
    Preamp-McIntosh C2300
    SACD/BluRay/CD/DVDA----Oppo 83SE

Room size is 20x20
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Welcome to the forum.

I think you are looking for advice from someone with direct experience rather than some uninformed opinion from someone like me with 804s.......but I will offer some thoughts anyway because thats what people do on forums and this one seems to be not as busy as it once was (the economy I guess)

I have auditioned 804Di and I own 804s. At home I have acoustic treatment, fancy cables everywhere, resonance control and no longer use an analogue pre for a more direct analogue signal path. In my case the technical differences between the two models at 804 level is marginally greater than the 802s (which always had diamonds).

I left the audition with the impression that the 804di was more transparent than my speakers and more airy (bad term). The dealer, whose opinion I trust, clearly preferred the new series to the old, particularly the 804 (mind you that was my price point - $12,000 Aussie, thats about $13,200 US dollars for 804di). But when I got home I preferred the sound of my 804s in my system. I have since made a number of other improvements to my system that have increased the performance gap between the two. Yes, speakers can make the most difference to a point but you have to take a whole system and room approach.

If you are only changing speakers and that is all you ever intend to change, and the retirement fund is robust then go for the better speakers. If you can tweak other areas in your system and you are stretching yourself to get the 802di, then the 802D start to make good sense.

I also found that you hifi listening past comes into play with a buying decision. I bypassed the old 805S to buy the 804s partly because the standmounts just sounded like a better 705 (which I still own and use as rear speakers), they did not sound like enough of a change. Your experience with the PSB will impact on your expectations with the new speakers and will influence your decision.

If you are lucky someone local on this forum might offer you an audition of their 802s, hifi guys are generally good like that, particularly at this level, thats why many areas have audio clubs. We like to share the obsession.

NB I have assumed by your 1 post that you are new to the audio community. If what I have said has been hear 100 time before thenI guess you have now heard it 101 times.

Good luck shopping
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

thebeatles67,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

I can offer a partial opinion. I have 802D's driven by an MC402. I have not heard the 802Di's, so I cannnot give an exact comparison. Do a search in this fourm, I believe thie comparison has been done.

the 802D and 402 combo is wonderful. There is a great smoothness to the B&W/Mac combo. All areas are suberbly done. Soundstage, bass, details, subtleties, etc. I'm quite pleased with this combo.

My interpretation of the 802Di, based on what I've read, is that in pure performance terms, it is better than the 802D's. But it would cost alot more than a used pair of 802D's. So if finances are an issue, the 802D is certainly going to be quite good, especially with Mac electronics.

As was mentioned, if you can audition them (preferably in home), that is the best option.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• thebeatles67
        • May 2011

Thanks guys---anyone else that owns a pair of 802DI care to comment--did you move up from the 802D or another B&W speaker? Thanks.

Mike

Originally posted by htsteve
        thebeatles67,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

I can offer a partial opinion. I have 802D's driven by an MC402. I have not heard the 802Di's, so I cannnot give an exact comparison. Do a search in this fourm, I believe thie comparison has been done.

the 802D and 402 combo is wonderful. There is a great smoothness to the B&W/Mac combo. All areas are suberbly done. Soundstage, bass, details, subtleties, etc. I'm quite pleased with this combo.

My interpretation of the 802Di, based on what I've read, is that in pure performance terms, it is better than the 802D's. But it would cost alot more than a used pair of 802D's. So if finances are an issue, the 802D is certainly going to be quite good, especially with Mac electronics.

As was mentioned, if you can audition them (preferably in home), that is the best option.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

thebeatles67,

I went from the B&W N804s to the 802D's. The N804's became the rear channels (until I upgraded them to 804S for system synergy).

Which PSB speakers did you have?

Comment

• thebeatles67
            • May 2011

Originally posted by htsteve
            thebeatles67,

Which PSB speakers did you have?
            I owned a pair of PSB T6 Platinum towers----very nice speakers but I have the "itch" and I've always wanted to get into the 800 series B&W after hearng the 802D a few years ago.

Comment

• jeepers
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by thebeatles67
              Thanks guys---anyone else that owns a pair of 802DI care to comment--did you move up from the 802D or another B&W speaker? Thanks.

Mike
              Until 6 weeks ago I had a 3.1 800 old series setup with 803D's as fronts. I decided to go back to stereo and purchase my last (?!) pair of speakers. I am 50 and don't want to keep on upgrading every so many years so since 3 weeks I have a pair of 802Di's and I am very pleased. I own B&W speakers since 1983.

Comment

• thebeatles67
                • May 2011

Anyone living in the southeast USA have a favorite B&W dealer (that carries the 802DI in stock) or a recommendation would be helpful? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"