X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tennessee
    • Apr 2011

Good matching center for B&W N803's

Hello,

Looking for opinions and help for a good matching center channel speaker for N803's. I have read that you should stay with the same maker and same line. However, the centers for this line is too tall for my application. I was looking at the B&W CM2 Center and was wondering if anyone knows how good this will match up... Another thought was Paradigm Studio CC490 (BECAUSE OF ANGLEING THE SPEAKER) or the Paradigm CC590.... Looking for opinions on these speakers or any other idea's/speakers you might have me consider with my 803's...

I Read a post that a lot of people do mix and match... I am looking for open opinions and not just "stick with the same line of speakers answers"

Thank you all for your time and help. ;x(

Paul
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Paul,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

I used to have the N804's, very similar to the N803's. I had the HTM1 center channel, which was awesome. However, that appears to be too big for you.

I absolutely agree with the principle of using the same speaker make for the center channel. The ideal is the same line of B&W. But since that appears not to be an option, looking at something close to it is a good idea. Mixing speaker makes up front will definitely cause tonality issues. I've seen first hand the benefits of system synergy.

The CM2 is a nice center channel. It has the FST midrange, which will match the 803's quite well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Tennessee
      • Apr 2011

Would it be better to then sell my B&W n803's and buy the Paradigm studio 100's and the Paradigm CC490 or the CC590... I have read that _most_ people prefer the 803's to the Studio 100's... so would i be better sticking with the 803's and using the CM2 Center channel or is the trade off to great and i should sell them and get the matching Paradigm set? Thank you and Thank you for welcoming me to the Forom. :T

Paul

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Paul,

I am biased with respect to B&W. I've had various models for 15 years.
        I would keep the N803s and consider the CM2 center. That will be a sweet setup.

Also, can you elaborate on why something like an HTM1 (the matching center to you N803's) is not workable. Do you have pictures of you setup?

I really believe in B&W. I also believe in system synergy, but not to the point of ditching excellent tower speakers. You have 800 series speakers. They are really special, especially with good electronics in front of them.

What electronics do you have?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• John22614
          • Feb 2010

I agree with Steve and no way would I give up those magnificent 803's for the sake of the center speaker, especially, if like most of us, you listen to music in stereo. I think the CM 2 is the way to go. And, if the colors don't match, just get the black one. It should blend in nicely and sound very good.
          B&W 804s Mains
          B&W HTM4 Center
          Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
          Marantz AV 7005 processor
          Anthem MCA 30 Amp
          Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• Tennessee
            • Apr 2011

Steve,
            I am running them with Parasound 125 watt amps... I know a little more
            power is
            better, but I believe that seperates do power up better than most receiver
            power.
            Thank you for your opinion as it does matter in my final choice.... I was
            leaning to your idea, but was not sure how the CM2 center would match up,
            but in
            general it would probably be closer than any other manufacture.
            Now, next problem... in ceiling speakers for surrounds..... another
            setback
            here... no way to mount bookshelf speakers and no way to put inwalls
            in..... I
            have done some research and was looking at Martin logans Helos, Speaker
            Craft
            AIM 8 THREE, Paradigm, Phase Tech and Def Tech.... The speaker Crafts do
            sound
            on the higher side and really like the AIM Series becuse they do angle to
            degrees taking away that straight into the floor sound most others have...
            pronlem is..... I hear people either lover them or hate them.... I thought
            they
            sounded okay, but no bass..... People have said the bass was good.... so I
            am
            thinking my local Best Buy just has them mount to the ceiling tiles and
            really
            no joists or anything to enclose them from behind.... So I am still
            wondering
            what options do people suggest.
            I do only listen to two channel music and not multi channel music.... the
            rears
            would be use for just effect on home theather.... most inwall/inceiling
            speakers
            do not have enough angle for the tweeter to really move very far...
            suggestions
            welcome...
            Paul

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Paul,

I'm glad you are leaning to keeping the N803's, especially with a nice amp.

B&W makes a variety of good in-ceiling speakers. I have no personal experience, but I've seen a few threads in the forum dealing with that topic. I am confident you can find a B&W for the rears that would fit nicely sonically with your front speakers.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"