CD Player To PreAmp Connection Options and PreAmp Configuration (sheesh)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

CD Player To PreAmp Connection Options and PreAmp Configuration (sheesh)

Ok so here is the deal, tuning and learning. Never really 100% on what I’m doing setting some parts of my stereo \ home theater up. Would like to set it up optimally and learn something too. In asking these questions I am very aware of a few things
    1. Many or most specs lie.
    2. Good sound is what your ears like.
    3. I don’t really get all this, obviously.
    4. I am asking a lot.

Some help here would really go a long way, if any other info is need I’m happy to post it up. Feel free to explain things in your own words regardless of my fine documentation. I understand if this post gets ignored due to my ineptitude, my documentation skills…. If it is ignored and the reasoning is your indifference, too much to type, dislike of my equipment, dislike of me personally or any other foul reasoning… may you be blessed with

A weekly viewing of “The Fountain”
    A daily dose of hits from both current and former “NOW” cd’s
    Dirty and non functional DVD’s from Blockbuster, Hollywood Video or Netflix

And finally, the pox’s of all pox’s

May all your purchased DVD’s and CD’s be blessed with Triple DVD and CD tamper seals that consist of the thinnest of plastic and the thickest application of a SuperGlue type of adhesive…. as opposed to the single, lovely, easily removable cling type.

Tough call between posting in Starting Block (doesn’t get much action) or Audio Hideout (wrath of those far more knowledgeable that I… and this is kinda starting block stuff). Going for broke, letting it all ride, throwing caution to the wind, Audio Hideout it is.

Let the enlightenment begin.

First lesson would be **CD Player to Pre Amp**

Overall Question – Which cabling configuration and Preamp configuration should provide the best CD sound quality?

Options
    CD Analog Out L & R to Preamp CD Analog In
    Sub Question – In this configuration what device does signal processing?

CD Optical Out to Preamp assignable Optical In
    Sub Question – In this configuration what device does signal processing?

Possible Preamp Configurations
    * Anlg-DSP (Analog – Digital Signal Processing)
    The analog input is converted to digital by the AVM 20” internal high quality A?D converters to allow Digital Signal Processing, such as Bass, Treble, Mode and all Bass management to take place.

* Anlg-Dir (Analog – Direct)
    No A/D conversion takes place – all Digital Signal Processing, such as Bass, Treble, Mode and all Bass management are bypassed. Only Volume, individual speaker level, balance and Mute still function.

* Digital (No other information provided)

* Also the Preamp has a “Bypass” setting… “Pressing “Tone Bypass” disables Bass/Treble in the selected path.

Sub Question –Based on below what CD and Preamp specifications (if any) should be reviewed to understand which device offers best or optimal processing and in turn playback performance?

Yamaha CDC 565 Specifications
    Frequency Response… 2Hz 20Hz +\- 0.5 db
    Harmonic Distortion+ Noise… 0.004% or less
    S/N Ratio… 102 dB or more
    Dynamic Range… 95 db or more

Anthem AMV 20 Specifications
    Frequency Response and Bandwidth
    Direct Inputs… 10 Hz to 20kHz +0, -0.2dB; 1 Hz to 140 kHz -3 dB
    Analog-DSP Inputs… 10 Hz to 20kHz +0, -0.5dB; 2 Hz to 22 kHz -3 dB
    Digital Inputs… 10 Hz to 20kHz +0, -0.4dB; 1 Hz to 22 kHz -3 dB

THD+N @ Rated Input & Output
    Analog Direct Inputs… 0.008% (80kHz BW)
    Analog-DSP Inputs… 0.008% (80kHz AES17 Filter)
    Digital Inputs… 0.008% (80kHz AES17 Filter)
    * Anyone one know what AES17 Filter means?

S/N Ratio ref, 2.0 Vrms A-weighted
    All Direct Inputs… 106dB
    Analog-DSP Inputs… 98dB
    Digital Inputs… 102dB

Dynamic Range, didn’t find any specific reference to “Dynamic Range” in the specifications.

***Ok, if you read this far, wow. The above is an attempt to learn a little and some humor. Really, any information and help related to above would be much appreciated.***
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

I've seen the Fountain 5 times. Still not sure I really understand it, but I kinda like that, and it's growing on me. Maybe weekly viewings is what I need.

I would utilize the DACs in the Anthem and send the signal via digital. All processing would be performed on the Anthem, and no A->D conversion would be necessary to utilize any BM.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

Tough Crowd :unsure:

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

One can't say for sure, or even with reasonable probabililty in many cases.

The specs for all that stuff you listed are at the point of splitting hairs, or less.

You just have to set it up and try all the combinations.

Personally, I use the digital connection from my CD player and computer to my AVM 20. I do this way to use the bass management functionality and the most simple cabling.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"