X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rod#S
    • Oct 2010

Grill on or off?

As a new member of the B&W family I want to get the most out of my new HTM2Di and looking through the various threads here on the forum I see a lot of people have removed the mesh grill from their speakers and I am curious if this is more of a personal preference for appearance or is this being done for improved sound quality? Have I been sacrificing sound quality all these years in leaving the grills on?

Thanks,

Rod
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Rod#S,

For me, removing the grills was an appearance thing. Until I got the 802D's.
    The phase plug in the mid-range driver was plastic and had a hole in the front to hold the cover in place. I took that off, replaced the plastic plug with the aluminum(?) plug that came with it. Result was a bit better detail and slightly wider soundstage. So for 802D's, it's a performance issue.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

My grills are off for cosmetic reasons. Not sure if there is any performance issues with the grills on or not.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I had a thread awhile back about this very issue! . I think some speakers will sound better with them on and some without. You have to try and subjectively listen to your speakers in both setups and decide for yourself which option sounds best. Mine sound smoother and better with the grills on. I believe they were designed and meant to be played that way.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

I think some take them off so they look more flashy for pictures. Sometimes I leave my mains off, but always seem to leave the center on as I find that big HTM3S distracting (especially the bright yellow kevlar midrange) when watching movies/TV/gaming. Kinda depends on mood too... Sometimes I'll leave my grills off for months and will prefer the more flashy look of the speakers with the drivers exposed, and then other times I prefer the speakers to disappear more visually.

As for sound/performance issues with grills on/off, I think that's speaker dependent. I think the 600 series has a minor noticeable effect with the grills on. Their grills have A LOT of plastic around the tweeters. My 683's just seemed a little more airy with the grills off. Their 800 series brother the 804S, not so much. Now you have the tweeter completely outside the box anyway. So in my opinion, if you have the 800 series with the out of the box tweeter, leave the grills on if you prefer the look visually. If you have 600 series and do critical 2-channel listening, maybe leave the grills off...

Comment

• Rod#S
            • Oct 2010

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll experiment some to see if I hear any difference and if not I'll just continue with the grill on.
            B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• mrciave
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
              Rod#S,

The phase plug in the mid-range driver was plastic and had a hole in the front to hold the cover in place. I took that off, replaced the plastic plug with the aluminum(?) plug that came with it. Result was a bit better detail and slightly wider soundstage. So for 802D's, it's a performance issue.

Hope this helps.
              Same for me. The difference was made by the aluminium phase plug instead of plastic. The grill did not matter.

I remember a thread somewhere where some B&W guy explained the metal phase plug helps the magnetic field get a better shape, thus the midrange works better.

As for the woofers, I experimented but could not feel any difference, so my woofer grilles are on.

Tweeter grilles, ALWAYS ON, those small little diamonds are too fragile to leave exposed.

Hope it helps.
              2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

hi,

I agree with mrciave! :T

tweeter with the grills ( & midrange too!!! - FST)

for the woofer is only a "...looks good in a pictures for the forum..." but for the perfomance I dont a improve .......

My grills are always ON, only like a lot of fans for a pictures OFF...

style

Comment

• azazel
                  • Dec 2010

I understood the phase plug is designed to stop a convergence at the center of the driver. I have aluminium phase plugs as the plastic ones with a hole in the middle look rubbish. I usually leave the covers off but if some kids are coming round, I fit them with a blob of blutack in the center of the grill, with the pin removed. I never take the tweeter grills off as Ive had enough of tweeter replacements! I read that B&W designed the out put to be correct with tweeter grills on.

Comment

• Rod#S
                    • Oct 2010

When you guys are referring to the different phase plug materials, what exactly is that, is it something only on the 802Di? Any pictures so I can get an idea of what exactly you are talking about? Since I will be getting the 802Dis do I have to specify when I order that I want the metal ones?

I have been running my HTM2Di without the grill the past couple days and I can't hear any difference. Granted the speaker is only a few days old and not broken in yet but I wouldn't expect the results to change much.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Rod#S
                      When you guys are referring to the different phase plug materials, what exactly is that, is it something only on the 802Di?
                      No. It is only on the pre-Di series that you had to use a plastic plug in order to retain the grill. My 802Ds came with both metal and plastic plugs.

Any pictures so I can get an idea of what exactly you are talking about? Since I will be getting the 802Dis do I have to specify when I order that I want the metal ones?
                      Not necessary. Di speakers come with the metal plugs installed as the grills are retained by magnets.
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Rod#S,

My 802D's came with the plastic plug. It was used to hold the midrange cover in place. The metal plugs came with the speakers, so it does not need to be ordered separately.

I think the plastic plugs are unique to the 802D's. It was the first time I ran into it.

EDIT: See Kal's answer.

Comment

• BWzes03
                          • Oct 2005

Rod#S,

My 802D's came with the plastic plug. It was used to hold the midrange cover in place. The metal plugs came with the speakers, so it does not need to be ordered separately.

I think the plastic plugs are unique to the 802D's. It was the first time I ran into it.

EDIT: See Kal's answer.
                          The N 802 has two plastic plugs, one with the hole for the grill-mount, and a solid plastic plug without a hole.
                          I bought after-market full-aluminium plugs for my N804's before I got my N802's.

I prefer to run with FST grill off, and woofer grills on.

Comment

• Rod#S
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                            No. It is only on the pre-Di series that you had to use a plastic plug in order to retain the grill. My 802Ds came with both metal and plastic plugs.

Not necessary. Di speakers come with the metal plugs installed as the grills are retained by magnets.
                            Thanks Kal

Comment

• ninja12
                              • Mar 2007

Rod#S,

Hope this helps.
                              I tried this last night with my 802Ds, and I did notice that the sound stage did improve. I removed the midrange grill from my 802Ds and my HTM1D. That was a nice little performance boost. Thanks for sharing that tip. :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Can anyone confirm if the black phase plugs on the 804S can be changed to a brushed metallic phase plug? Also how do you change them? Do they just unthread?
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                                  Can anyone confirm if the black phase plugs on the 804S can be changed to a brushed metallic phase plug? Also how do you change them? Do they just unthread?
                                  The only difference is color as these are the same solid metal construction as the metal option on the 802Ds.
                                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                    The only difference is color as these are the same solid metal construction as the metal option on the 802Ds.
                                    Thanks Kal,

Thats what I thought since the black ones are already metal. Is this a part I would order from B&W or are these an "aftermarket" part?

Stuart
                                    Main System:
                                    B&W 801D
                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                    B&W CM7
                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

Thanks Kal,

Thats what I thought since the black ones are already metal. Is this a part I would order from B&W or are these an "aftermarket" part?

Stuart
                                      Dunno.
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

No grills love the look and sound much better :B
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                          No grills love the look and sound much better :B
                                          I thought you did not prescribe to snake oil wives tales? Speakers sounding audibly better with the grills off, just like speaker wires make a huge difference, particularly if they use the same guage of wire!

Oh, and I forgot about those small wood blocks placed on the floor that prop up your fancy speaker wires, as they also make a huge improvement in the sound! :T

Comment

• Anovak
                                            • Dec 2008

OFF, definitely OFF

I think this thread demonstrates so vividly what each of our preferences are and how we may sometimes be differing on matters that, again, are akin to comparing apples to oranges.

My experience has revealed to me that the grills off of the mids and woofers on my 803S's, HTM3S and 805S surrounds makes a HUGE difference in the detail, openness or what some may call transparency in the sound.

This has been seconded many times by friends, most of them audioheads, and their comments. The trick is to try it out without the grills, listen for a while and even if I might suggest, for days at a time and then go back to the grills on and see what you hear?

When I want the real deal, I take them off.....most of the time they are there for protection only and come off for "show time!"

Andy

Comment

• Rod#S
                                              • Oct 2010

When swtiching between grills on and off and noticing such a difference are you concerned about recalibrating for each scenario to get the most out of each or do you just calibrate one way, say with the grills off and make do for lack of a better word when the grills are on?

Comment

• Anovak
                                                • Dec 2008

Rod#S, interesting question and I will give that some thought. But, for now, I don't do any messing with my settings as it seems to work just fine leaving things set as they are. And, yes, that would actually be a fairly valid description, I "make do" with the grills on. Actually, a lot of my time is spent with my wife in watching stuff she and I both like on TV which does not usually implicate audiophile kind of needs.....when it's time to REALLY listen, she's usually in the other end of the house as our ears are far different when it comes to appreciating higher volume levels.......:-)

Comment

• scanido
                                                  • Apr 2006

Thanks Kal,

Stuart
                                                  You can order the "new" FST from B&W parts. They kept the driver the same. Only difference is the silver bullet.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by scanido
                                                    You can order the "new" FST from B&W parts. They kept the driver the same. Only difference is the silver bullet.
                                                    Cool... Thanks!
                                                    Main System:
                                                    B&W 801D
                                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                                    B&W CM7
                                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"