X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Speakers are not the only ones

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health defines 85 decibels as “excessive noise exposure,” so the researchers used that figure as a benchmark. The agency also defines “normal conversation” occurring at about 60 dB, a lawnmower at 90 dB and a chainsaw at 110 dB.

Researchers found it easy to hit 85 dB in a top-down convertible.

“When the convertible cars were driven with the top open, high levels of noise were consistently recorded,” the study said.

At each speed, the turbocharged Saturn proved the noisiest over all.
    At 55 m.p.h., it was rated at 91 decibels;
    at 65 m.p.h. it read 95.9 dB;
    and at 75 m.p.h. it hit 98.7 dB.

The occupational safety agency recommends limiting exposure to 98.7-dB noise to 20 minutes.

The Mustang, meanwhile, was the quietest, respectively recording 82.4 dB, 83.5 dB and 84.7 dB.

Nissan’s 350Z produced the loudest peak sound, reaching 104 dB at 75 m.p.h.

Exposure to such a loud sound source should be limited to six minutes, the agency said.

Assessing all the vehicles, the study found that “mean noise exposure inflicted on the driver of a convertible car driven with the top open” was 85.3 dB at 55 m.p.h.; 88.4 dB at 65 m.p.h.; and 89.9 dB at 75 m.p.h. Researchers qualified that much higher spikes can originate from trucks or motorcycles.

In its conclusion, the team warned that individuals in top-down convertibles “are potentially at increased risk of noise-induced hearing loss,” recommending that they drive with the top closed at speeds of 55 m.p.h. or greater.

Avoid blasting the music while cruising Highway 1
    :B
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Some of the guys at work roll their eyes because I use hearing protection. I can tell they already suffer from hearing loss when they don't find it painful to run a demo saw cutting block without hearing protection. Luckily my audio hobby taught me about protecting my hearing or I might be just like them...

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"