X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spykids777
    • Dec 2010

Trouble with 803d speakers

Hi everyone. Wish everyone a happy new year I am having some trouble with my newly delivered 803d speakers. I got a new pair of 803d and hooked them up to my receiver. I am trying to bi-amp my front speakers. The tweeter on one of the speakers is not making any sound - dead on arrival :M . Have changed the cables, have changed the output from receiver, have tried to not bi-amp and have single cable attached to the speaker but with no success. When I attach the cable to the bottom red/black ports there is music coming from the bottom 3 speakers with a preponderance of base freq. When hooked to the upper red/black ports. There is music coming from the upper yellow colored speaker with preponderance of mid tones but there is no sound out of the tweeters!!! The other speaker is perfect.

Any suggestions? Please help !!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

You've done most of the tests to figure out the issue. It does appear to be the tweeter. Simply call your dealer. They may know of some more tests. Or they simply might swap it out for you.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

hi spykids777,

sorry but is a new speakers? or a second hand? is the DI?

you dont have "surcharged" the speaker and "burn " the tweeter?

style

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by spykids777
        Hi everyone. Wish everyone a happy new year I am having some trouble with my newly delivered 803d speakers. I got a new pair of 803d and hooked them up to my receiver. I am trying to bi-amp my front speakers. The tweeter on one of the speakers is not making any sound - dead on arrival :M . Have changed the cables, have changed the output from receiver, have tried to not bi-amp and have single cable attached to the speaker but with no success. When I attach the cable to the bottom red/black ports there is music coming from the bottom 3 speakers with a preponderance of base freq. When hooked to the upper red/black ports. There is music coming from the upper yellow colored speaker with preponderance of mid tones but there is no sound out of the tweeters!!! The other speaker is perfect.

Any suggestions? Please help !!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune , Yes you need a new speaker!!

I usually get my dealer to test them before he leaves so I don't have any surprises
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dukester
          • Sep 2010

Pretty frustrating...sorry. You should have your dealer come to your home and troubleshoot...then have him bring a new one to you once he's satisfied it's the speaker...it's the least he can do. Hope it all works out.
          McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• spykids777
            • Dec 2010

The tweeter has not worked from day one. Yes these are brand new speakers. The Amp it is attached to now is the Denon 5308CI which outputs 150W per channel - so I could not have overdriven it. Also the speaker looks perfect from outside - no physical damage. I am trying to get it rectified with the dealer.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before and what was B&W response? It is certainly not a budget speaker and not a thing you expect to not work out of the box. :M

I am hoping the dealer will swap them out with a new pair rather than replace the tweeter - am I wrong in expecting that? Esp since I never even had them working even for one minute.

Feedback appreciated.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

The tweeter has not worked from day one. Yes these are brand new speakers. The Amp it is attached to now is the Denon 5308CI which outputs 150W per channel - so I could not have overdriven it. Also the speaker looks perfect from outside - no physical damage. I am trying to get it rectified with the dealer.

Just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before and what was B&W response? It is certainly not a budget speaker and not a thing you expect to not work out of the box. :M

I am hoping the dealer will swap them out with a new pair rather than replace the tweeter - am I wrong in expecting that? Esp since I never even had them working even for one minute.

Feedback appreciated.
              Yes the dealer should swap the speaker out rather than replace the tweeter. Actually B&W should take care of that
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Tony1
                • Sep 2007

I've seen this issue at a dealer when I demoed the 804D. The sales person told me that the wires for the tweeters were too short and they come off. I saw him take the tweeter apart and saw that the wires were short, hardly any slack. He had a hard time getting back on the posts. Once he got them back on the posts, the tweeter started working again.

I would just wait for the dealer to check it and ask them to see if the wires are connected to the tweeter posts.

Comment

• lawpoke87
                  • Nov 2010

The wires to those tweeters are in fact very short. When the tweeter is connected it must be screwed in from the rear and not by the tweeter assembly. My dealer actually tried to install the tweeter by screwing it in and broke the connection everytime as the wires twisted with each turn.

Comment

• quan325i
                    • Apr 2005

I recently replaced a tweeter on my 801N and all the comments are true. You probably have at most 2 inch slack for the tweeter wires. If you buy the speakers new from a dealer, have them deal with the problem unless you're ready to spend 1K+ for a diamond tweeter.

QN

Comment

• spykids777
                      • Dec 2010

Just wanted to update - the dealer came home and repaired the speaker. he found a disconnected molex behind the woofer! Now it works fine. Am very happy with the dealer - he spent about 2-3hrs trying to troubleshoot and fix it. Now only if the CA5300 would arrive I can start seriously enjoying the speakers.

I am still trying to decide between HTM4D and HTM2d speakers - only if this was that easy Would love to have the HTM 2 but the space below the TV and the distance between the mains of only 7 ft is making the justification to spend twice the amount harder.

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

spykids777,

Good news on the repair. Yes, getting the Classe amp will be pretty cool.

As for the center channel, I have the HTM2D. It is awesome. My mains are a bit farther apart (9 feet), but they work quite well together.

I also believe from a synergy standpoint, the HTM2D is the intended match for the 803D.

One thing to consider is the long term. The HTM2D will last years. It's quite possible you will move the setup into a different space and be able to use it a bit better. Something to consider.

Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by htsteve; 21 January 2011, 08:27 Friday.

Comment

• dukester
                          • Sep 2010

Just wanted to update - the dealer came home and repaired the speaker. he found a disconnected molex behind the woofer! Now it works fine. Am very happy with the dealer - he spent about 2-3hrs trying to troubleshoot and fix it. Now only if the CA5300 would arrive I can start seriously enjoying the speakers.

I am still trying to decide between HTM4D and HTM2d speakers - only if this was that easy Would love to have the HTM 2 but the space below the TV and the distance between the mains of only 7 ft is making the justification to spend twice the amount harder.
                          Great news, a weight off your shoulders...and the CA5300 should help you forget all your initial problems.

As for the HTM2Di, recommend you go through the all the forum members set-up photos...you should be able to get ideas on how to accommodate the HTM2Di...w/c in your case would be the better fit IMO.
                          McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• miner
                            • Mar 2005

Good dealer support and good to hear you will be using a better amp for those beauties.

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

I would get the HTM2D and find a way to accommodate it. I don't have my measuring tape on hand right now, but my temp setup is only about 7 ft apart and I'm using one of the larger center (HTM3S). It's all about matching your speakers IMO and not so much about what the distances between them are.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"