X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

CT SW15 info required

Im wondering if anyone has any experience with this subwoofer. Im thinking of getting a pair of them powered by the SA1000. I currently have a pair of CT SW12's on loan from the dealer with the amp and am trying to find out more information from anyone who has used this combination.

It amazing that on the whole internet i can find only one review on this set up. Its almost as bad as trying to find information on the DB1.

For what its worth im currently using a Rel Storm(the original one) and a SVS Sb12 plus. This combination i find gel's quite well together for music, but i feel im missing some real bottom end slam, hence my above consideration.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I wish that I could provide some sort of direct useful answer here. I can't, so apologies upfront. I would think that the CT SW15 would be targeted mainly by folk investing in custom theatre movie setups and as such would not be subjected to critical analysis as would say be the case regarding other standalone subs.

Your best answer might be to analyse the charateristics of your CT SW12's on loan and then factor in a slightly deeper bass response (bearing in mind that a 15 inch cone might not be as fast as a 12 inch cone).

Another idea might be (if you haven't already) to consider:

Velodyne's revamped DD15:

or a pair of JL Audio Fathom F113's:

Hope that this helps.

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

Thanks, yeah i would love a pair of JL's but as you know in our part of the world how difficult some things are to get. I dont even know if they are available here, let alone @ what price if so. I have an option to test a JBL 1500 array and i might be able to test a B&W DB1 at a squeeze, the problem with both is the cost as i wont be able to afford a second one. Aaargh the persuit of more, better, bigger, louder etc ..... :E

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

Well i just emailed the local JL Audio agent and no can do. They only import the car audio side of things. What about the B&W DB1 as an option? Its amazing , there is not a single review on the whole internet , not even from an owner...... maybe they dont exist and the ones i saw at the agent were mock ups...... 8O

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

This morning I gave Radio Autosonic a call (info here: http://www.jlaudio.co.za/JL_Audio_Dealers.html ). I asked if they could give me their latest pricing on the Fathom F113. Fritz took my number & promised to call back. It might be an idea to give Fritz a call yourself - the more interested folk, the better. I do not intend to buy now but I wanted to get pricing and check supplier status.

Regarding the DB1, I would probably stay away until some reviews/experience/knowledge info can be found. At least the JL products have proved themselves.

Bass is the most difficult part of the audio spectrum to get right. It takes a decent quality sub to reach the 15Hz to 17Hz region and not run out of power and/or have distortion problems.
          Last edited by ShadowZA; 23 November 2010, 04:35 Tuesday. Reason: updating details

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

News update: Fritz from Radio Autosonic has just called me back. He mentioned that he is working with Sean Blignaut to try to import a batch of F113's from the States. They are working out pricing and should call me back as soon as they have a figure. If you are keen - this could be an opportunity. No pressure or anything like that. You are correct ... car audio is the main J L Audio product here, not their hi-fi subs. If you know of any other locals who might be interested, please feel free to spread this news. Would be great to have their hi-fi subs available here.

I am being hugely tempted ...

Comment

• windshear
              • Dec 2004

Lets see what price they come up with . I emailed Sean last night and he seemed rather not keen about home audio as it didint work for him before.

The only problem i forsee is price and probably what they come up with means aty best i could only get one. I very much like the idea of having two identical subs @ the moment to better balance the room. hence trying out the CTSW's at the moment.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

If the JL Audio Fathom remains a scarce bit of potent hardware to grace our shores, here is some info I found on Velodyne's latest offering: Comparing the DD15 to the new DD15+

Velodyne's new DD Plus line replaces the venerable DD series. The cabinets are now contoured shaped and the driver has been completely redesigned for higher output and less distortion.

Note this sentence in the last paragraph: "... It certainly appears to us that Velodyne has taken a hard look at the JL Audio Fathom series of subwoofers and has put them in checkmate. ..."

Comment

• windshear
                  • Dec 2004

Well here is the first and only review i have found online about the CTSW's.

A bit of food for thought.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Not a bad review at all. Definitely some food for thought. :T

Comment

• windshear
                      • Dec 2004

Any news about the JL audios ?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Not a peep. If I hear anything at all I'll let you know.

Comment

• windshear
                          • Dec 2004

For what its worth im busy testing a DB1 sub. I also listened to a Paradigm Sub 15 yesterday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Fantastic! I'd be interested in any opinions which you might have on the DB1.

Comment

• windshear
                              • Dec 2004

So far its a bloody software mess and way too many cables and wires for updating the firmware and run the eq .... im not impressed with its lack of simplicity.I wish someone had actually taken the time to make the effort of writing a proper set up sequence for the software a well as included the required drivers. I ended up downloading almost 200MB of data to update the required patches for the software you install on your laptop........ tut tut B&W .... not good !

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by windshear
                                So far its a bloody software mess and way too many cables and wires for updating the firmware and run the eq .... im not impressed with its lack of simplicity.I wish someone had actually taken the time to make the effort of writing a proper set up sequence for the software a well as included the required drivers. I ended up downloading almost 200MB of data to update the required patches for the software you install on your laptop........ tut tut B&W .... not good !
                                That sounds nasty!! I wish one would compare the JL Audio Fathom F113 vs the DB1
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Skyblue
                                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                                  That sounds nasty!! I wish one would compare the JL Audio Fathom F113 vs the DB1
                                  That sounds stupid.. This is a consumer product. Should work right out of the box.. Not with 200mb of download.. :/
                                  B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"