X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

New 600 Series

Has any one heard of the 600 series being revamped anytime soon?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • jpbas1
    • Jan 2009

They're pretty recent in terms of revisions... Historically, lines tend to be revised every 5 to 7 years. That's in B&W years... A lifetime to those who wait. Right now the 600 series offers the most bang for the buck in light of the recent 800 series upgrades and subsequent price increases.
    B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• Cabin Audio
      • Sep 2010

I was told

That a revamp occurred 10 months ago. Is that so? I have a 2010 B&W catalog which mentions about the 683 "for the first time ever in a 600 series includes FST cone surround technology"

while quoting from an older post on the 683
      This is an extract of a review of the 683 in Sept 07 HI-FI Choice:

"B&W says that to bring the price of this drive unit down to the point where it could be used in the 600 it just simplified the mounting method to a conventional bolt-on approach, rather than the suspended, single point fixing used in the 800 Series".

Based on my own experience, these changes do make a difference. I also have a HTM4S as my centre speaker and the difference is also quite noticeable in smoothness and clarity of vocals compared to the 683.

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Cabin Audio
        That a revamp occurred 10 months ago. Is that so? I have a 2010 B&W catalog which mentions about the 683 "for the first time ever in a 600 series includes FST cone surround technology"

while quoting from an older post on the 683
        This is an extract of a review of the 683 in Sept 07 HI-FI Choice:

"B&W says that to bring the price of this drive unit down to the point where it could be used in the 600 it just simplified the mounting method to a conventional bolt-on approach, rather than the suspended, single point fixing used in the 800 Series".

Based on my own experience, these changes do make a difference. I also have a HTM4S as my centre speaker and the difference is also quite noticeable in smoothness and clarity of vocals compared to the 683.
        I don't believe any changes have been made since their introduction in late 2007 early 2008. I would expect the series to remain the same until at least 2012.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• jpbas1
          • Jan 2009

My apologies... I had the last 601S3 until 2007; a friend of mine picked up the 683's immediately soon after. So in terms of changes... I was referring to that specific timeline in 2007-2008. I didn't think that changes were in order in the newest line.... But never say never.
          B&W 805D; Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditors; McIntosh MC 252; C-48; Audible Illusions Modulus 3; MCD 201; Wadia i170; MIT and Kimber cables.

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

How could you even improve on the 683 in it's price range? Or even the 685? Even going by the previous cycle of the trickle down effect on the tech from the 800 series, I don't foresee the 600's getting diamond tweeters anytime soon... I could see a better center channel that mimics the design of the CMC2 in a 600 series box, but what else can really be improved upon in it's price range right now?

Comment

• omar7631
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
              How could you even improve on the 683 in it's price range? Or even the 685? Even going by the previous cycle of the trickle down effect on the tech from the 800 series, I don't foresee the 600's getting diamond tweeters anytime soon... I could see a better center channel that mimics the design of the CMC2 in a 600 series box, but what else can really be improved upon in it's price range right now?
              I see your point, the 683's are amazing speakers and they do need a better center channel . Another thing they can improve on is the appearance of the speakers. I had the previous version the 604 s3 and even though the 683's sounded better, I did notice the 604 s3 were made with better materials, especially the grill.
              B&W 804s
              B&W htm3s
              B&W dm601 s3
              Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
              Denon 2808ci
              Emotiva XPA-5
              Emotiva XPA-2
              Sony PS3

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

The 683 is a great speaker, but I would hate to think that nothing can be improved while keeping price similar.
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• theblue
                  • Dec 2009

I own the 683 and I think they can do a lot better on the fit, finish, and looks without raising the price or using any exotic materials. I also think they can do better with their box design to improve sound quality while using the same components that they are using today. Lets be honest, what makes the 6 series great are the components alone really.

As others have said, start with the center channel please.
                  Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                  rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                  B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                  a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• dan87951
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by theblue
                    I own the 683 and I think they can do a lot better on the fit, finish, and looks without raising the price or using any exotic materials. I also think they can do better with their box design to improve sound quality while using the same components that they are using today. Lets be honest, what makes the 6 series great are the components alone really.

As others have said, start with the center channel please.
                    Huh...?? How much can you improve in quality at this price point? They are already leaps and bounds ahead of anything in that price range! At 1500 a pair those are probably the BEST built speakers. Have you ever taken apart a 683 and looked inside?? The attention to detail and quality is astounding. I'm sorry but I have to give props to B&W for still keeping the quality and attention to detail alive in there entry level line up.

If you are looking for that little extra in terms of better materials look at the CM line than.
                    dan87951
                    audio guru

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dan87951
                      If you are looking for that little extra in terms of better materials look at the CM line than.
                      I was thinking the same thing, heh. That's what the higher up lines are for...

Comment

• theblue
                        • Dec 2009

Don't get me wrong, I love the speakers and think they're a great value and I even like the exterior styling of them...

I know.... champagne dreams on a beer budget
                        Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                        rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                        B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                        a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• BWLover
                          • Jan 2009

Thank you for all you inputs people. I moved to a different city and my stereo has been in storage for a year now. I was just worried that when I do get the money to ship it out here that B&W would have the new 600 series line out. So thats a load off my back. God I miss her so
                          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                          Playstation 3
                          Shaw HD PVR
                          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"