X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

Amp for 802D

I currently have 802D's L and R and HTM2D as center powered by Classe CA 5200. Do they all need the same amplification? Lets say I use a Ca-M400 for my L and R keeping the 5200 powering my surrounds and center will that be a noticeable problem? The idea is to enjoy 2 channel music with more power to the L and R. Thanks.
    Ray
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ray5
    I currently have 802D's L and R and HTM2D as center powered by Classe CA 5200. Do they all need the same amplification? Lets say I use a Ca-M400 for my L and R keeping the 5200 powering my surrounds and center will that be a noticeable problem? The idea is to enjoy 2 channel music with more power to the L and R. Thanks.
    Ray
    I think if you use the big amps for stereo and you are using the other for multichannel (movies etc.) you will not notice a problem at all. Of course you will need to balance the outputs for volume on your pre/pro..

I am doing this same thing with my Chord Amp and NAD reciever. The Chord powers my mains and the NAD powers my center and rears... No problem...

You will be in an even better position since your amp manufacturer is the same..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Ray,

You can definitely do that. I'm doing the same with my 802D's and Mac gear. I have an MC402 for the 802D's, and an MC205 for the center and surrounds. Having a stereo amp in the system is a benefit for all items. 2 channel is particularly enhanced, and HT will benefit because the 802D's will be performing even better.

If you can swing the CAM 400's, your 802D's will definitely improve.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

Thanks a lot.
        Ray

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

I'm running a pair of Classe CAM-350's for my main speakers and a Classe CAV-150 for my center and two surrounds. I have the center speaker bi-amped, but I found that I still need to up the gain about 4db for it to audibly balance with the mains. I need to get a tester to make sure whenever I get the chance, but like they said, it is doable.

I should probably get a third CAM-350 for the center channel, but the two already suck the power and drive up the electric bill through the roof.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"