X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swayback
    • Feb 2010

Powerconditioners?

Ok, finally bought my 804Di, HTm4 center.
    I've been reading a lot about powerconditioners- specifically Richard Gray's 400 pro and APC h15. Is this really necessary? I've read reviews that its a bunch of bologna. Other, and I dare to say reviewers (bias?), recommend them. How can they be any better than a Monster cable power strip surge protector? Any opinions would be appreciated, preferable based on facts.
    Thanks!
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

Can't say anything about Richard Grey period.

APC H15 = good build quality and voltage regulation within +-5%.
    Monster = good build quality and NO volage regulation

Your choice...

Surge supression is a must for all components, although some suggest plugging amps directly to mains as suggested by manufactuer.

Many opinions, make your own

Luca
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

I would not personally buy a RG. I had one and felt not only was it WAY over priced, but did less then the Rotel RLC 1040(which is an APC) which I sold the RG to buy.

To me all you need is voltage regulation (RG does not do), surge protection (RG does not guarantee) and central grounding. Some nice to haves which RG does not have is being able to monitor the activity i.e. power consumption, voltage etc (which RG cant), and something that looks good. Purely subjective, but I think there are better out there then RG in the looks department.

Some people swear by RG, but I have yet to see one scientific test prove anything.

My vote is for the APC product.

Comment

• swayback
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Nolan B
        I would not personally buy a RG. I had one and felt not only was it WAY over priced, but did less then the Rotel RLC 1040(which is an APC) which I sold the RG to buy.

To me all you need is voltage regulation (RG does not do), surge protection (RG does not guarantee) and central grounding. Some nice to haves which RG does not have is being able to monitor the activity i.e. power consumption, voltage etc (which RG cant), and something that looks good. Purely subjective, but I think there are better out there then RG in the looks department.

Some people swear by RG, but I have yet to see one scientific test prove anything.

My vote is for the APC product.
        thank you. that was my conclusion as well.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by swayback
          thank you. that was my conclusion as well.
          Try Furman Pro :T
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

In my experience comparing a good power strip with a power conditioner with its own power strip (Thor)- go with the good power strip.

I can only guess that on the PC I heard they output via a cheap power strip - system sounded so much better without it. This was on a high quality 2 channel setup.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

APC H15 vs Rotel RLC-1040 - same basic unit but different. I have both and with the Rotel if I have a power outage and power returns, all units plugged into it will power on (all Rotel brands in standby mode). This can be a problem if one is gone for a period and cabinet is closed. I have asked Rotel about this and they insist that is how it was designed - I disagree. My APC is used with McIntosh equipment and a Rotel CD player. When my home has a power outage these pieces do not power on automatically once power is restored. BTW, I have my amps plugged inot my wall sockets

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"