X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beatboy77
    • Jun 2010

A Few B&W Questions From A New Owner

My N802's arrived last week. I am VERY excited to be a member of the B&W family!

A couple of questions.

I purchased the N802's used and they are in excellent condition. They do however need a good cleaning. What are some of the recommended products to use to clean these, both the wood cabinet and black upper portion?

Secondly, I also purchased a very nicely used HTM2 for my Center Channel. When this arrived, there are plugs in the terminals where the bananas plug in. I have tried about everything to get these plugs out. How would one do this?

Third question. I do anticipate at some point down the road needing to change the mid's in the N802's as they are fraying a bit on the edges. They also have turned a somewhat orange color. Would my local B&W dealer offer a service to do this or is this a DIY project?

Thanks!

~Josh
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Josh,

Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy these. Good questions.

Cleaning: For the Marlin head, I simply use a microfiber cloth. I don't use anything on it. Works well enough. As for the cabinet, I also use the microfiber. do a search in the forum here. I know some people have posted how they clean. The finish is furniture grade, so something along those lines would seem correct.

Plugs in Terminals: Been there, done that. Tweezers, fingernails, a needle or pin, etc. Whatever works.

Midrange drivers: You can get the drivers from B&W. I believe the driver itself can simply be swapped out (DIY). Hopefully, B&W would include instrcutions. I'm pretty certain others here have done this. Also, I'm certain a local dealer can do this. But that would likely be a house call, with associated charge.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by beatboy77
      My N802's arrived last week. I am VERY excited to be a member of the B&W family!

A couple of questions.

I purchased the N802's used and they are in excellent condition. They do however need a good cleaning. What are some of the recommended products to use to clean these, both the wood cabinet and black upper portion?

Secondly, I also purchased a very nicely used HTM2 for my Center Channel. When this arrived, there are plugs in the terminals where the bananas plug in. I have tried about everything to get these plugs out. How would one do this?

Third question. I do anticipate at some point down the road needing to change the mid's in the N802's as they are fraying a bit on the edges. They also have turned a somewhat orange color. Would my local B&W dealer offer a service to do this or is this a DIY project?

Thanks!

~Josh
      Don't worry about the FST mids.. They all fray a little around the edges eventually. Doesn't affect performance..
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

Hello Josh,

Nice to be new addicted to B&W, i wish you the best enjoyment with the N802

About the fray you mentioned, could you please add some close picture of what you consider a fray-problem? I mean because i own my 801Ds and since i bought them or after 3 months seeing closely his midranges, i note some 1 or 2 short fray at the border (about 1mm i would say) but i have to "touch my eyes" on them to see. Your question really worried me a bit and that´s why i am also pasting my pics here to you see if it´s the same problem you are getting

Comment

• Cambs12
          • Jul 2006

Congrats on the new speakers,an excellent choice!

Microfibre cloth for the marlan head works very well.

My 802d mids are a little frayed as well,even though they are only a year old.You only notice it if looking closely,and certainly does not affect sound.It is not a sign of wear,just how they were finished at the factory i believe..

Comment

• beatboy77
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Pedro
            Hello Josh,

Nice to be new addicted to B&W, i wish you the best enjoyment with the N802

About the fray you mentioned, could you please add some close picture of what you consider a fray-problem? I mean because i own my 801Ds and since i bought them or after 3 months seeing closely his midranges, i note some 1 or 2 short fray at the border (about 1mm i would say) but i have to "touch my eyes" on them to see. Your question really worried me a bit and that´s why i am also pasting my pics here to you see if it´s the same problem you are getting
            Not the best picture, but if you look in the lower left-hand portion, you can see the fraying. It is more noticeable in person. Also, you will notice my mids are nowhere near as "Yellow" as yours. Mine have almost become orange. The flash from the camera makes mine seem more yellow than they are.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

• Pedro
              • Jan 2006

about the orange colour i can also note a bit in the picture. But the fray, i dont know if it´s what the same thing in mine. I just took a high resolution picture sometime ago at BW website when 801D was still available, and also in this picture the frays occurs (marked in red by me)

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"