X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Cleaning High Gloss Lacquer Finish

Hello.

I need some suggestions or advice on maintaining/cleaning the High Gloss Gloss finish on my speakers.

I have one pair in the High Gloss Piano Black, and two pair in the High Gloss Yew finish.

Mostly I'm dealing with dust gathering on the top of the speaker, and an occassional smudge or fingerprint from guests who can't seem to help themselves. Apparently they get intranced with the gloss and just have to reach out and touch it :roll: :roll: :M :M

I'd like to maintain that high gloss look, but I'm not sure what use for maintence and cleaning.
    Tony
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Maybe contacting a local Piano business...?
    ......Pat

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Pledge furniture polish, available at any supermarket. Spray a little on, wipe it off with a soft, clean rag.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
        • Jan 2005

Rather than using furniture polish, which is basically just silicone, I use automotive car polish (carnuba wax, or any synthetic that you prefer) on my speakers. I find that this provides a much more durable, longer lasting finish. When I get dust and fingerprints, I simply wipe them off with a 100% pure cotton terrycloth rag. I buy the terrycloth rags at the autoparts store for detailing my cars, but I find that detailing my speakers is no different.

Comment

• SteveL
          • Mar 2005

This is right up my alley... I publish a car care guide called "Guru Reports."

For the high gloss finish, I'd use a synthetic product - it'll resist dust, and provide an incredibly slick finish with high gloss, incredible shine and mirror-like reflectivity and clarity. My favorite is a product called "Zaino."

If I had high-gloss speakers, I'd wipe them down with an alcohol/water mixture (1:1) and a high quality microfiber towel top ensure that the surface was clean and free of any residual oils, waxes, etc. Microfiber (if high quality) is much softer and less likely to scratch or marr than a terry towel is, and it does a great job of lifting debris away from the surface, rather than just sliding it around the surface. Zaino needs a totally clean surface in order to bond properly - it's a true last step protectant, meaning it contains no abrasives, no cleaners, no fillers, nothing... just a pure protectant that will enhance the reflectivity and depth/gloss/shine of the substrate to which it is applied.

After the speakers were wiped down, I'd give them a super light coat of Zaino Z2 Pro. How light? 1 ounce does my Chevrolet Tahoe 3 times. So, literally, just a dab or two. I'd let it haze, then I'd buff it clean. Finally, I'd wipe it down with some Zaino Z6, which is an anti-static, high gloss quick detailer spray. I'd use it for weekly touch-ups as well.

Links:

www.zainostore.com for Z-2 Pro, ZFX and Z-6. (You mix the ZFX w/Z-2 Pro - ZFX is a catalyst)

www.waynestowels.com for high quality microfiber towels (I have 100's of them)
          No, that's not me in my avatar.

Comment

• NMyTree
            • May 2004

Thanks guys.

Steve, does it matter what alcohol I use? I have 70% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (First Aid Antiseptic).

Which one do you suggest?

I'm going to look into and order the Zaino products you suggested.

If you're interested, I'll post my opinions on how it works out, at a later date.

As for the towels, there seems to be so many of those towels on that site and I'm not sure if they are all microfiber towels, or just some of them. Is there one in particular you suggest?

Thanks again!
            Tony

Comment

• SteveL
              • Mar 2005

Tony-

I wouldn't use the 70% rubbing alcohol - some circles claim that it's a bit abrasive, and while I haven't experienced it first hand, I have read a lot about unexplained marring when using lower grade alcohol, so I suppose it may carry some merit.

I'd use the 91% IPA, dilluted 1:1 with water.

For towels, they're all microfiber (at Wayne's Towels). My favorites are the "Luxury Soft" towels for $5.50. I'd get two or three of them and you should be all set. Care of microfiber is extremely important - don't wash them with any other type of fabric (they'll attract lint like crazy), don't use any type of bleach or harsh detergent (I use Dreft detergent), and don't dry them with any heat or dryer sheets (the dryer sheet fragrances will clog up the towel, and heat can melt the fiber). I usually hand wash them in small batches and then use the "fluff" setting on the dryer to air dry them for 20-30 minutes.

His site is a mess... he really needs someone to set-up an e-commerce store for him, but just drop him an e-mail and he'll take care of you.

For applying the Zaino, use a generic yellow foam wax applicator, and apply it as thought it cost $100,000,000,000,000,000 per ounce. A damp applicator will help spread the Zaino more thinly, especially when you're applying the first layer/coat. Once you get a little Zaino built-up on the pad, it's a lot easier to apply thin. Hint: I wait to treat any speakers/furniture/etc until I'm detailing the cars - I just use the extra/left-over on the speakers.
              No, that's not me in my avatar.

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

Thanks again, Steve.
                Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

I received my Zaino products, and I sent payment for the microfibre towels.

I tried using the 91% Isopropyl alcohol mixed with water, 1:1 mix.

I tried it out on my Wharfedale Evo 10 (black Gloss) bookshelf (rears )first, to see if there would be any negative reactions or effects. It worked well in getting all the dust, smudges and fingerprints off. So then I used the same mix for my Quad 12L (also bookself speakers) in the High Gloss Yew finish. I had just recently bought these used and they had some minor problem areas. The mix worked wonderfully! Removed the accumulated dust off the top of the speaker, and really did a nice job in removing small (tiny) little smudges and some kind of tiny, little, sticky gook that had some how found it's way to the cabinets.

They look brand new now. Nice and glossy.

When we get this house straightened out, I'll give my Quad 22L and Wharfedale Opus 2 a good cleaning. As well as apply the Raino for protection.

I'll update when I apply the Raino.
                  Tony

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"