X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x43x
    • Sep 2007

B&W to be offered at Best Buy Magnolia

Interesting move for sure. I wonder if Rotel and Classe will be offered as well?

From Cepro.com:

B&W, which historically has sold its loudspeakers through a limited number of specialty A/V retailers and custom integrators, will open "a significant portion of our broad product portfolio" to Best Buy's Magnolia this fall, says B&W chairman Joe Atkins in a letter to dealers (below).

Atkins attributes the change to "more [A/V] store closings and business failures than we have seen in the last 20 years combined."

He explains (rightly) that B&W is not alone in re-thinking its business during these changing economic times: "Vendors that have built their brands and businesses on a limited distribution, specialty model are faced with a new reality and a clear need to consider options going forward."
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

I wonder what series they'll carry? 600 series? I couldn't see something like the Diamond range being a seller to the average Best Buy shopper.... then again, you never know as it would be easier to track down Best Buy stores over specialty stores for the more hard core audiophile. It would be cool to be able to go to Best Buys website and order a set of 804Di and have them shipped to your door without even having to leave your home. Overnight shipping? I better rip up my credit cards now!

Now I kinda feel bad for the remaining struggling shops that might miss sales to Best Buy on say the 600 series. My local shop just packed up and relocated after being where they where for many years. They're not even going to get the top range marlin head floorstanders anymore. I was told by a salesmen that they where getting the 803Di/805Di and that's it. Kinda bummed as I used to just walk in the room with the 802D's or even in the past, their 801N with all the matching surround and center speakers and just be in awe! I know they might not be as big sellers as the lower end speakers, but they got me to walk in the door....

Probably won't last long though... how many speaker brands get sold at Best Buy then disappear for the next year... Another thing is, will they be able to be setup correctly to do proper auditions at Best Buy? My dealer had a dedicated room with acoustic panels, bass traps, and all the proper setup... always had the best sounding system of any other place I've been too. How good is Best Buy going to do B&W justice? lol...

I hope it's just the 600/CM series that gets sold there. I couldn't imagine B&W coming out with a line exclusive to Best Buy? When is this suppose to happen? Next year? Classe/Rotel? I always thought it would be cool for a company like Classe to come out with a entry level lineup with a high bang for the buck ratio like the B&W 600 series.

On the bright side, as more mass-market people get introduced to true high fidelity, maybe people will start caring more about recording quality and put some pressure on the recording industry to start making some better standards then the awfulness they have now with the compression wars....

Now what I'd really like to see is some B&W car speakers.... I'd love to have the sound quality of a set of 685's in my F150! :T

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

Everytime I go to a best buy some kid has pushed in the tweeter cones with thier fingers.

Would be interesting to see what product B&W is intending to sell at BB and if they are going to lower thier prices.

And on another note... I hate BB .Ever try to return a item to BB.Lots of fun. :naughty:

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I guess that now answers the question as to why B&W put the silver trim around their speakers on the new diamond series...to attract the mass market!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Opus007
          Everytime I go to a best buy some kid has pushed in the tweeter cones with thier fingers.
          I guess they will not be displaying the Diamond series. :W
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Aiden
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            I guess they will not be displaying the Diamond series. :W

The Diamonds will be reserved for MAV but if you think about it, the D's would be better suited for MHT as the tweeters are well protected from being pushed in.

On the other hand, having people confuse them for a karaoke machine is another story. :B

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

Best Buy Magnolia and the regular Best Buy is not the same. Magnolia was a high end chain bought out by Best Buy. Many still carry brands like McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Viennna Acoustic, Primare, REL, Marantz, Pro-Ject, Sumiko and other top tier brands. Magnolia is definitely better than the average hifi shop.

Checkout this installation below.

I know many guys who worked for Magnolia. They are definitely the people you want in your corner.
              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                I guess that now answers the question as to why B&W put the silver trim around their speakers on the new diamond series...to attract the mass market!
                You think the mass market buys speakers that cost up to $20,000? :P

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
                  Now what I'd really like to see is some B&W car speakers.... I'd love to have the sound quality of a set of 685's in my F150! :T
                  B&W makes car speakers. They have been in Jaguars for several years now.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Aiden
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by btf1980
                    Best Buy Magnolia and the regular Best Buy is not the same. Magnolia was a high end chain bought out by Best Buy. Many still carry brands like McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Viennna Acoustic, Primare, REL, Marantz, Pro-Ject, Sumiko and other top tier brands. Magnolia is definitely better than the average hifi shop.

I know many guys who worked for Magnolia. They are definitely the people you want in your corner.

MHT will carry the CM line and down while MAV will have the Diamonds.

Comment

• Opus007
                      • Nov 2007

In 1954, Len Tweten began the enterprise that was to become Magnolia Audio Video. Originally called "Magnolia Stationers and Camera Shop," the business took its name from the Magnolia district of Seattle, where the first store was located.

Over the years, Len became passionate about music and high-fidelity audio. He soon began to sell audio products in his store. By the mid-1960s, the company had become a specialty audio retailer.

[edit] Acquisition by Best Buy
                      In December 2000, Magnolia Hi-Fi, as it was then known, was purchased by Best Buy for $87 million.

In the summer of 2003, the company changed its name from Magnolia Hi-Fi to Magnolia Audio Video, in order to, as the company's website claims, "reflect the new era of electronic entertainment."

Later in 2003, the first Magnolia Home Theater store opened. Magnolia Home Theater stores are scaled-down stores found within certain Best Buy locations. The smaller Magnolia Home Theater stores offer a more limited selection of products and services than do their standalone Magnolia Audio Video counterpart.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

You think the mass market buys speakers that cost up to $20,000? :P
                        I guess B&W hopes they will, and if they don't, I'm sure they can mass produce what will sell by making them in China.

And now, instead of B&W having the esteemed reputation for having their speakers used by the likes of Abbey Road Studio, they will be known for being available in Best Buy! I've been in several "Magnolia" departments in Best Buys, and they do a lousy job of representing their products.

Now your friends can come over to listen to your stereo and say, hey I know those speakers...they sell them in Best Buy!

Here are some of the other speakers they carry at Best Buy/Magnolia: Definitive Technology, Martin Logan, Mirage, Energy, Polk Audio and REL. Some of these manufacturers used to be decent quality with good reputations back in the day. Look at their products today, and this is how they ended up by selling through the mass market retailers.

Yep, piano black finishes and nifty silver surround rings.
                        Last edited by beden1; 19 July 2010, 03:12 Monday.

Comment

• omar7631
                          • Sep 2009

I totally agree with you, I always used to brag to my friends about my speakers being high end and how you could not find them in a retail store like best buy, and now what ! :M Whats next Wal-mart :rofl:
                          B&W 804s
                          B&W htm3s
                          B&W dm601 s3
                          Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                          Denon 2808ci
                          Emotiva XPA-5
                          Emotiva XPA-2
                          Sony PS3

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

I could see the XT and FPM line being sold there. 600 and CM makes more sense price wise, but sound quality versus what appeals more to BB customers (looks, design, functionality, etc)... I think SQ would lose.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• olilugo
                              • Aug 2009

I kind of remember seeing the news that Best Buy also owns McIntosh.

Comment

• btf1980
                                • Aug 2007

I guess B&W hopes they will, and if they don't, I'm sure they can mass produce what will sell by making them in China.

And now, instead of B&W having the esteemed reputation for having their speakers used by the likes of Abbey Road Studio, they will be known for being available in Best Buy! I've been in several "Magnolia" departments in Best Buys, and they do a lousy job of representing their products.

Now your friends can come over to listen to your stereo and say, hey I know those speakers...they sell them in Best Buy!

Here are some of the other speakers they carry at Best Buy/Magnolia: Definitive Technology, Martin Logan, Mirage, Energy, Polk Audio and REL. Some of these manufacturers used to be decent quality with good reputations back in the day. Look at their products today, and this is how they ended up by selling through the mass market retailers.

Yep, piano black finishes and nifty silver surround rings.
                                I disagree. Those companies you mentioned still have flagship top of the line speakers that are well respected. (At least Martin Logan, REL and Def. Tech) All companies have ranges. B&W always had inexpensive speakers in addition to their flagship series. No one will confuse M1 speakers for 800Ds. If you feel your reference speakers will lose their "reputation" because a lower range in the brand is sold at a popular store, or god forbid, someone sees your brand at a store, then I really don't know what to tell you. However, I do think that the exclusionary, old guard attitude is why this hobby continues to wither.

People like to bemoan manufacturers for branching out, but I see how hifi shops have been doing the last few years and it is brutal. They are closing up left and right because quite frankly people aren't shopping anymore. At least not from the dealers. Everyone wants a massive deal, without taking into consideration what that entails. The 5-10% you would get off list price is not good enough for people anymore. They want Audiogon prices, and that's where they go. What are the companies supposed to do to stay afloat?

Unless everyone is buying their speakers brand new from dealers at close to MSRP, do not complain when companies are forced to open up their retail channels & lower manufacturing costs. Everyone wants champagne, but they want to pony up beer money.

B&W will be fine. I remember when the 802D replaced the N802. I heard complaints from people saying the difference wasn't enough, and the speakers looked too similar aesthetically. Well, B&W put silver rings on the 802 Di that replaced the 802D. Now the change is too drastic, so drastic that the common people will start to buy it! Oh heaven, help us. Not the regular people!!! Don't they know that these speakers were meant for the most discriminating, snooty folks? How will they enjoy these speakers now? I guess between living paycheck to paycheck or even looking for a job since they got laid off, the average joe six pack will have enough scratch to buy a pair of 800 Diamonds from Best Buy. Man, talk about racking up Reward Zone points!!

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

I disagree. Those companies you mentioned still have flagship top of the line speakers that are well respected. (At least Martin Logan, REL and Def. Tech) All companies have ranges. B&W always had inexpensive speakers in addition to their flagship series. No one will confuse M1 speakers for 800Ds. If you feel your reference speakers will lose their "reputation" because a lower range in the brand is sold at a popular store, or god forbid, someone sees your brand at a store, then I really don't know what to tell you. However, I do think that the exclusionary, old guard attitude is why this hobby continues to wither.

People like to bemoan manufacturers for branching out, but I see how hifi shops have been doing the last few years and it is brutal. They are closing up left and right because quite frankly people aren't shopping anymore. At least not from the dealers. Everyone wants a massive deal, without taking into consideration what that entails. The 5-10% you would get off list price is not good enough for people anymore. They want Audiogon prices, and that's where they go. What are the companies supposed to do to stay afloat?

Unless everyone is buying their speakers brand new from dealers at close to MSRP, do not complain when companies are forced to open up their retail channels & lower manufacturing costs. Everyone wants champagne, but they want to pony up beer money.

B&W will be fine. I remember when the 802D replaced the N802. I heard complaints from people saying the difference wasn't enough, and the speakers looked too similar aesthetically. Well, B&W put silver rings on the 802 Di that replaced the 802D. Now the change is too drastic, so drastic that the common people will start to buy it! Oh heaven, help us. Not the regular people!!! Don't they know that these speakers were meant for the most discriminating, snooty folks? How will they enjoy these speakers now? I guess between living paycheck to paycheck or even looking for a job since they got laid off, the average joe six pack will have enough scratch to buy a pair of 800 Diamonds from Best Buy. Man, talk about racking up Reward Zone points!!
                                  Well, we are not living in what was Soviet Russia yet comrade, even though Obama and his supporters would like that just fine.

And yes, perception in this hobby is probably 50% of the allure.

Your "common people" are the ones who have largely gotten us into the financial mess we are facing now, with having bought too many things they could not afford. Why temp them further by displaying B&W speakers in front of their over extended credit cards?

Comment

• btf1980
                                    • Aug 2007

Well, we are not living in what was Soviet Russia yet comrade, even though Obama and his supporters would like that just fine.

And yes, perception in this hobby is probably 50% of the allure.

Your "common people" are the ones who have largely gotten us into the financial mess we are facing now, with having bought too many things they could not afford. Why temp them further by displaying B&W speakers in front of their over extended credit cards?
                                    Why are you bringing politics into this? Let's not have this thread closed please.

Comment

• x43x
                                      • Sep 2007

Here is the full letter sent to dealers:

Date: July 16, 2010
                                      To: All B&W Dealers

Dear B&W Dealer:

It is hard to overstate the extent to which the U.S. retail environment in general and the challenges faced by specialty audio/video dealers in particular have changed fundamentally over the last 18 to 24 months.

Many of you have found ways to evolve your business model to adapt to the new world and are positioned to capture increased market share when consumer confidence and personal credit begin to recover. For a number of different reasons, however, many dealers have not and the result is more store closings and business failures than we have seen in the last 20 years combined.

Vendors that have built their brands and businesses on a limited distribution, specialty model are faced with a new reality and a clear need to consider options going forward. For Bowers & Wilkins, the loss or diminishment of multiple points of distribution comes at a particularly inopportune time as thousands of new consumers are being introduced to the brand through our very successful and growing partnership with Apple.

After a very thorough review of all courses of action we have decided to introduce a significant portion of our broad product portfolio with Magnolia this fall.

We fully appreciate that many of you will be disappointed if not surprised by this decision, however we are very confident that the ongoing development of Magnolia’s national brick and mortar retail model and their commitment to expand and enhance the presentation of traditional premium audio creates a unique and exciting opportunity for Bowers & Wilkins.

At the same time we are also confident that the increased brand exposure will benefit our existing dealer partners and enhance their ability to continue to drive profitable and sustainable retail revenue.

Over the next few weeks your account manager will visit to discuss the implications of this development on our business relationship and future prospects. As always Doug Henderson and I are available to address your issues and concerns.

It goes without saying that my personal commitment to and investment in our partnership remains the same and in addition to expressing my sincere appreciation for your continued support, I ask for your patience and thoughtful consideration as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Joe V. Atkins

Comment

• Aiden
                                        • Feb 2010

Amen!

I have always been amazed by those who purchase equipment because of allure or bragging rights. When I sit down and relax, all I hear is the music. My equipment is just a means to get me there but I get it. Whenever I tell people who are in the same hobby that I have Cremonas they take interest but when I tell them what my stack consists of they scoff.

Comment

• x43x
                                          • Sep 2007

If I was a current B&W dealer I would be pretty pissed. Especially if I was Definitive Audio. Their Seattle store is a block away from Magnolia AV (or Hi-Fi) as I still call it, and their Bellevue store is across the street from Magnolia. I've never been in an integrated Magnolia, but even with the stand alone stores in Seattle, I still feel like I know more than the employees there. When I go into Definitive, I can tell they know and love the products they sell. So given the choice, I would gladly pay a bit more for the service that Definitive offers if both stores had the same product at different prices.

Comment

• Opus007
                                            • Nov 2007

To me this is a slap in the face to the Retail Hi-Fi shops who have sold B&W.It is going to take more money out of thier pocket in a time where sales are bad and a lot of hi-fi dealers are struggling to make ends meet.Just another nail in there coffin.

Next you will see Classe and Rotel at Best buy Magnolia.You will not get the same service at Magnolia as you would at your local hi-fi dealer.Nor will you get the knowlegde that the hi-fi dealer has to offer.No more in home demos.

I read the geek squad does the installs unless it is above there knowledge ( which goes without saying) then Magnolia out sources the install .There are no background checks run on these installers.Sort of like what Home Depot does.Best buy is not going to hire the high end installer.After all it is all about profit.

Magnolia home theater and Magnolia audio and video are 2 different animals.Most if not all Magnolia audio video stores where stand alone stores but due to them not turning a buck, best buy changed the name to Magnolia home theater and incorported them into certain best buy stores and closed most of the Magnolia audio videro stores.

In my personal opinion ...B&W could of used a different strategy.They could of let the hi-fi stores do online sales or reduced prices or something that would of kept them in the loop and not to have to compete with best buy.

A total slap in the face if you ask me.

Comment

• LAGiant
                                              • Jun 2003

I Disagree

If B&W decided to offer it's products online as you suggest, why do they even need dealers? Isn't that just throwing money away.

More important, B&W has seen many dealers around the country go out of business through no fault of their own. They also have only 25% of products on display in stores as they did just 7 years ago but they now offer 50% more products. The numbers don't lie.

Today's current economic climate forced B&W to make this move. Do you think that they really wanted to abandon the independent distribution if they didn't have to?

They have spent millions in establishing the brand in the Apple stores with the new media division. Those customers who want to listen to products have fewer and fewer places to hear them. B&W was in danger of becoming irrelevant in the marketplace. Not a good position to be in for the best speaker company that know has heard of.

I also believe that this will be a blessing disguise for existing B&W dealers that are in a position to offer premium service to it's customers. Not every customer will be satisfied, particularly at the high-end CI level, with a Magnolia.

I for one applaud the move!

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

My experience with anyone at BB or Magnolia after being acquired by BB has been deplorable, 90% of the sales people are incompetent, have no idea about the products they sell and are more interested in looking at their facebook pages than anything else. They also like to push monster cables since the margins are so high

B&W will compete with Definitive technology, Sonus Faber, MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, Genelec, , Niles, Monitor Audio, SpeakerCraft for shelf space

B&W will become mass market product the next move is Wall Mart. What B&W should do instead is do like Apple. Open their own stores with B&W, Rotel and Classé to show and demonstrate full solution.

To be fair the only MHF that I was impressed with is in Bellevue Washington the original
                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

whats the difference between selling headphones, pc speakers and zepplins at apple dealers and selling some speakers in magnolia?
                                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Opus007
                                                    • Nov 2007

For anyone interested here is a quote and a link to the whole story.

In expanding on the brand's distribution plans, Atkins also said not all B&W speakers will go to all Magnolia outlets. The company, for example, will not sell its custom-install speakers through the more than 350 Magnolia Home Theater (MHT) stores within Best Buy stores, but those speakers will be available to the eight larger Magnolia Design Centers within Best Buy stores as well as to the seven standalone flagship Magnolia Audio Video outlets in Washington state, California and the Chicago area.

The MHT stores will offer the 600 series of freestanding vinyl-clad speakers priced up to $2,000/pair, the CM series of freestanding wood-cabinet speakers priced up to $3,000/pair, and the M1 sound bar.

The Magnolia Design Centers and the freestanding Magnolia A/V stores will add the top-end Diamond 800 series of freestanding speakers priced up to $25,000/pair, Atkins said. The $31,000-each Nautilus speaker won't be on display at any of the Magnolia outlets, but the Design Centers and freestanding A/V stores will have access to them, he noted.

Products will appear in the Magnolia outlets in the fall.

The distribution changes do not apply to the Classe and Rotel audio electronics brands owned by The B&W Group.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by olilugo
                                                      I kind of remember seeing the news that Best Buy also owns McIntosh.
                                                      No, D&M Holdings owns McIntosh.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2004

For anyone interested here is a quote and a link to the whole story.

In expanding on the brand's distribution plans, Atkins also said not all B&W speakers will go to all Magnolia outlets. The company, for example, will not sell its custom-install speakers through the more than 350 Magnolia Home Theater (MHT) stores within Best Buy stores, but those speakers will be available to the eight larger Magnolia Design Centers within Best Buy stores as well as to the seven standalone flagship Magnolia Audio Video outlets in Washington state, California and the Chicago area.

The MHT stores will offer the 600 series of freestanding vinyl-clad speakers priced up to $2,000/pair, the CM series of freestanding wood-cabinet speakers priced up to $3,000/pair, and the M1 sound bar.

The Magnolia Design Centers and the freestanding Magnolia A/V stores will add the top-end Diamond 800 series of freestanding speakers priced up to $25,000/pair, Atkins said. The $31,000-each Nautilus speaker won't be on display at any of the Magnolia outlets, but the Design Centers and freestanding A/V stores will have access to them, he noted.

Products will appear in the Magnolia outlets in the fall.

The distribution changes do not apply to the Classe and Rotel audio electronics brands owned by The B&W Group.

http://www.twice.com/article/454938-...line_Sales.php
                                                        Well.... there you have it.

Sadly, this all looks like a reminiscent of Klipsch.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by wettou
                                                          B&W will compete with Definitive technology, Sonus Faber, MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, Genelec, , Niles, Monitor Audio, SpeakerCraft for shelf space

B&W will become mass market product the next move is Wall Mart.
                                                          For your opinion to be true, Definitive technology, Sonus Faber, MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, Genelec, Niles, Monitor Audio, & SpeakerCraft should be all ready be available at Walmart.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dspgolf
                                                            • May 2010

B&W in Best Buy OH BOY?

WOW!! I think things must be very tough out there in the world of high end audio if Bowers & Wilkins is going into Best Buy Stores? WOW what the hell is the world coming to? Oh well I guess they are looking to drive business anyway they can get it? I can't imagine their dealers are to happy by this new news? I know if I sold them I would be pissed off big time!! :M

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                              Well.... there you have it.

Sadly, this all looks like a reminiscent of Klipsch.
                                                              I agree. Klipschorn used to be very good speakers back in the day.

Best Buy to Costco's ears! 8O

Comment

• RedWolf
                                                                • Sep 2007

I personally welcome the change. As an opportunist I think competition and accessibility increases customer service. It will also help to weed out those retailers that think high end justifies attitude. Consider that additional distribution channels will mean more options for product service.

Comment

• olilugo
                                                                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                                  No, D&M Holdings owns McIntosh.
                                                                  Now that you mentioned, you are absolutely correct. thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2007

Visited my B&W dealer today and was told that thier B&W dealership has been pulled by B&W.Also was told B&W resended 175 licenses which is aprox. 75% of all B&W dealers.Most likely the ones not meeting sales expectations.

It is the final nail for my dealer and they will be closing up shop on the 15 of next month.They have been struggling for a long time and have deceided it is time to call it quits after 30 years.They do not blame B&W and completly understand B&W's new direction.A sign of the times.....Bummer.

Comment

• ninja12
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2007

A sign of the times. Yes, so true. The world we live in is definitely changing. I mean who would have thought Best Buy would be carrying Macs; but, they are. I just hope they do a better job with B&W than what they have done with the Macs at least at the Best Buy stores in my area. I tried to use a couple of the Macs to browse a few sites, and the machines just hung. I mean I waited at least 5 minutes and nothing. The keyboards were sticky from and the screens were just filthy. I never had that happen to me in the Apple Store. Hmmmm.... I wonder why. As far as the home theater side, that was not any better. They were playing the Dark Night Blu-ray on their 5.1 set up. The sound was absolutely horrible. All I heard was the subwoofer mostly. I barely heard anything coming out of the other speakers. The salesman walked over and said it sounds good right. I was like are you serious. I asked the salesman what's the crossover set to. He said what's that. I just shook my head and walked away. Maybe I should've asked if he balanced the speakers first. Anyway, that was one of the worse sounding systems I have ever heard. Maybe bringing in B&W will cause them to pay more attention to details and educate their sales staff; but, then again, that's probably wishful thinking.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

Visited my B&W dealer today and was told that their B&W dealership has been pulled by B&W.Also was told B&W reseeded 175 licenses which is approx. 75% of all B&W dealers.Most likely the ones not meeting sales expectations.

It is the final nail for my dealer and they will be closing up shop on the 15 of next month.They have been struggling for a long time and have decided it is time to call it quits after 30 years.They do not blame B&W and completely understand B&W's new direction.A sign of the times.....Bummer.
                                                                        Whoa that is wild! 75% of B&W dealers!!!
                                                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                          • 1676

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                          Whoa that is wild! 75% of B&W dealers!!!
                                                                          So, if they are eliminating 75% of their dealers, and they said most Best Buys/Magnolia's will not be selling their 800 Series speakers, then who will be selling them?

I guess I need to contact a few dealers to see if they have any 800Ds left in their stores at closeout prices.

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2007
                                                                            • 454

I was told the dealers who are being let go have 30 days to order still.They are only keeping the higher tier sales dealers which is about 25% of thier current dealers.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 1537

#39
                                                                              I think this is great news! :T

With nearly 1100 Best Buys across the country and 350 of those having MHT stores within them this will allow easier access to B&W to enthuesiest such as myself.

I hear alot of griping as people are afraid B&W will become a "common" name and water down the product, however I dont think that is the case.

As someone who does not have a B&W dealer within 5 hours of my house, yet has probably 40 Best Buys and probably close to 10 of those MHTs I now have the chance to buy B&W locally as forced to drive hrs upon hrs or online 2nd hand.

Like the article said, the 350+ MHT stores will be selling the 600 series, CM and M1. That makes total sense, it is right in line with MHT current product. If you want the 800s, you can see them on display at the few Magnolia Design Center and could order the Prestige from there.

Being avail within some Best Buy stores alone wont make B&W more common, B&W made that bed when they started offering headphones, IPod docks and PC speakers. Your average Best Buy shopper wont be buying the 800 series, most wont even know who B&W is or spend the 2-3k/pair that MHTs will have in store. But the few who can spend money like that and the few B&W enthusiest who previously didnt have easy acess to B&W will welcome this news with open arms.

Good for them. In tough times change your ways or sink with the ship. I am looking forward to seeing B&W avail within my local Best Buys. :T
                                                                              B&W

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 1676

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                                I think this is great news! :T

With nearly 1100 Best Buys across the country and 350 of those having MHT stores within them this will allow easier access to B&W to enthuesiest such as myself.

I hear alot of griping as people are afraid B&W will become a "common" name and water down the product, however I dont think that is the case.

As someone who does not have a B&W dealer within 5 hours of my house, yet has probably 40 Best Buys and probably close to 10 of those MHTs I now have the chance to buy B&W locally as forced to drive hrs upon hrs or online 2nd hand.

Like the article said, the 350+ MHT stores will be selling the 600 series, CM and M1. That makes total sense, it is right in line with MHT current product. If you want the 800s, you can see them on display at the few Magnolia Design Center and could order the Prestige from there.

Being avail within some Best Buy stores alone wont make B&W more common, B&W made that bed when they started offering headphones, IPod docks and PC speakers. Your average Best Buy shopper wont be buying the 800 series, most wont even know who B&W is or spend the 2-3k/pair that MHTs will have in store. But the few who can spend money like that and the few B&W enthusiest who previously didnt have easy acess to B&W will welcome this news with open arms.

Good for them. In tough times change your ways or sink with the ship. I am looking forward to seeing B&W avail within my local Best Buys. :T
                                                                                But, I'm still wondering how and where we can demo the 800Di Series speakers?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 1537

#41
                                                                                  You will have to go to a stand alone Magnolia Audio Video Showrom.

The Magnolia stores that are built into the Best Buy's are Magnolia Home Theater, which according to the article will sell 600 series, CM series and the soundbar.

Think of Magnolia as having 2 different style stores.

Magnolia Audio Video - Stand alone, high end flagship stores, high end offerings. McIntosh, Elite, Marantz, Primare, Sonus Faber etc.

Magnolia Home Theater - The store within a store at 350 Best Buy locations. These sell higher end gear than typical Best Buy gear. Martin Logan, Elite, ES, Def Tech, Denon, ETC.

We’ve been doing this for a little while. Over 50 years actually. And we’ve grown and evolved significantly over that time. Today, our flagship Magnolia Audio Video stores dot the West Coast from Seattle to LA, and is now serving the greater Chicago, Illinois area. Plus there are now over 350 Magnolia Home Theater locations nationwide, inside select Best Buy stores.

We have invested heavily in our West Coast stores, remodeling many of our existing Magnolia Audio Video sites to offer a lifestyle showroom experience. Walk inside one our locations and you’ll instantly notice that it feels more like home than a store. Step inside to see, hear and feel how audio, video, and the latest home automation control products come together to create a solution that will give you chills. Or try out our new @yourplace service, where our Systems Designers come to your home to help you plan the perfect system tailored to your unique space. Yes. You’ll notice something different. Something better. Something just for you. Enjoy.
                                                                                  B&W

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2006
                                                                                    • 1676

#42
                                                                                    You will have to go to a stand alone Magnolia Audio Video Showrom.

The Magnolia stores that are built into the Best Buy's are Magnolia Home Theater, which according to the article will sell 600 series, CM series and the soundbar.

Think of Magnolia as having 2 different style stores.

Magnolia Audio Video - Stand alone, high end flagship stores, high end offerings. McIntosh, Elite, Marantz, Primare, Sonus Faber etc.

Magnolia Home Theater - The store within a store at 350 Best Buy locations. These sell higher end gear than typical Best Buy gear. Martin Logan, Elite, ES, Def Tech, Denon, ETC.
                                                                                    I'm on the East Coast and I think the only stand alone Magnolia Stores are in the Western states.

I have been in numerous Magnolia departments within Best Buy stores and their sales people are not any better than car salesman, in that they don't have a clue about what they are selling.

B&W's move just shows how fragile the entire high end audio/video business is in, and with not many places to turn. I also can't see them selling on the Internet, as it would be tough to ship 250+lb speakers to a customer's house and with customer satisfaction guaranteed. The shipping costs and damage would be prohibitive when probably half of the orders would be returned.

I think all the manufacturers would be better off if they do a collaborative thing and set up regional trade centers in all of the major markets. That way customers can go in to demo the products and get the information directly from the manufacturer's reps. The customers would order their products there, and then the manufacturers or distributors can ship their products to the trade center and hire delivery services to the customer's homes.

Most of the shopping malls in this country are in trouble with many empty stores. The manufacturers could probably get a good deal on the rent, and it would also be a good draw to the mall if they set up something that is exciting and interactive for the consumer.

The home theater installers could also be there with actual setups to physically show the customers what's possible. Lighting manufacturers, cabinet manufacturers, etc., and etc. It would be like a permanent regional trade show under one roof.

These manufacturers have to start thinking more out-of-the-box then coming up with a lame program like selling through Best Buy.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 1537

#43
                                                                                      But that would cost the manufacturers more money vs offering their products through more authorized dealers who already have invested in a store front. (Best Buy) Best Buy/ Magnolia foots the bill here, not B&W.

"Going online, however, is definitely not part of our evolving distribution strategy,"
                                                                                      With all the "experts" on the board, would any of you even listen to a "dont have a clue to what they are talking about" sales person even if they did know what they were talking about anyways? I know I wouldn't listen to them even if they did know what they are talking about. I am such an expert I am going to buy whatever I want regardless. :W We all know more than the sales person, right? :W

Again, like the article states, you won't be buying 800 series at a Best Buy location. You will have to go to a Magnolia Audio Video location which should be more than capable of taking care of anyone interested in speakers which cost tens of thousands of dollars.

B&W offering speakers through a giant like Best Buy will only be good for a company like B&W. Times have changed, stay stagnant and fail, or evolve and succeed. Best Buy and Magnolia seem to be able to fit that void.

You don't seem to care for Best Buy and you don't seem to happy with lately with the decisions B&W make as far as speaker design and asthetics. I guess you should take the helm at B&W and fix all of these mistakes they are making! :W

Ah well, I cant wait to see B&W in a local Best Buy/Magnolia Home Theater :beer:
                                                                                      B&W

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 200

#44
                                                                                        Around Vancouver BC there are only about 3 or 4 stores that sell B&W speakers and those stores are all not in high traffic areas. Unless you are specifically looking for B&W speakers you are never going to cross paths with these speakers in Vancouver. How can any mainstream company (that is not an ultra high end product) survive and thrive with that kind of distribution chain? Hopefully this will lead to more economies of scale in production and distribution without a reduction in quality and an eventual reduction in prices.........

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2006
                                                                                          • 1676

#45
                                                                                          But that would cost the manufacturers more money vs offering their products through more authorized dealers who already have invested in a store front. (Best Buy) Best Buy/ Magnolia foots the bill here, not B&W.

With all the "experts" on the board, would any of you even listen to a "dont have a clue to what they are talking about" sales person even if they did know what they were talking about anyways? I know I wouldn't listen to them even if they did know what they are talking about. I am such an expert I am going to buy whatever I want regardless. :W We all know more than the sales person, right? :W

Again, like the article states, you won't be buying 800 series at a Best Buy location. You will have to go to a Magnolia Audio Video location which should be more than capable of taking care of anyone interested in speakers which cost tens of thousands of dollars.
                                                                                          B&W offering speakers through a giant like Best Buy will only be good for a company like B&W. Times have changed, stay stagnant and fail, or evolve and succeed. Best Buy and Magnolia seem to be able to fit that void.

You don't seem to care for Best Buy and you don't seem to happy with lately with the decisions B&W make as far as speaker design and asthetics. I guess you should take the helm at B&W and fix all of these mistakes they are making! :W

Ah well, I cant wait to see B&W in a local Best Buy/Magnolia Home Theater :beer:
                                                                                          With my idea you cut out the retailer, so the savings will help pay for the costs along with the profits from increased sales.

You may want to read what I said: there are no free standing Magnolia Stores on the East Coast of the US! So my question was: where do we go to listen to their 800 Series speakers?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"