X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

B&W at Best Buy

I was at Best Buy today looking at 65" TVs. I looked at some of the B&W speakers they had on display in their Magnolia department, and interestingly enough, B&W now has a three pronged protective cage over the tweeters that are sold in Best Buys. The salesman said they were having to replace too many tweeters because kids like to stick their fingers into them! :rofl:

The other thing that I thought was disturbing, is that you can now order 800 Series speakers through Best Buy Magnolia departments.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Some people just want to spend money and leave. Its not the level of customer service that audiophiles have come to expect but if you need to sell in volume these days you end up selling "units" in the end. After buying hifi the old way I don't see how they can sell high end gear using the big box model.

It would have to devalue the brand. Anyone seen to a Hyundai/Mercedes dealership?
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

B&W has to make money to stay in business or they would have never linked up with a chain store. Years ago B&W and Tweeter/Bryn Mawr Stereo/Sound Advise was looking to come together and it never happened as B&W felt the chain was to big and they couldn't build enough speakers to fill 250 + stores.
      I don't think B&W being in Best Buy's Magnolia department is a bad thing. It could just help B&W sell more speakers. No they don't have good demo room's which is a shame as you really don't get to hear how good B&W speakers are.
      I for one would like to see Best Buy do something with Magnolia and make it something special. Take what Tweeter did and do it better. It just seems Best Buy puts no effort into making it great. Just go in their and count how long it takes for someone to help you or at all.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dmantis
        B&W has to make money to stay in business or they would have never linked up with a chain store. Years ago B&W and Tweeter/Bryn Mawr Stereo/Sound Advise was looking to come together and it never happened as B&W felt the chain was to big and they couldn't build enough speakers to fill 250 + stores.
        I don't think B&W being in Best Buy's Magnolia department is a bad thing. It could just help B&W sell more speakers. No they don't have good demo room's which is a shame as you really don't get to hear how good B&W speakers are.
        I for one would like to see Best Buy do something with Magnolia and make it something special. Take what Tweeter did and do it better. It just seems Best Buy puts no effort into making it great. Just go in their and count how long it takes for someone to help you or at all.
        The Best Buy/Magnolia salesman in King of Prussia said that Magnolia is looking for a location in Wilmington to put a free standing store. That may prove to be what you're looking for, but there are already two good high end stores in that area.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by beden1
          The Best Buy/Magnolia salesman in King of Prussia said that Magnolia is looking for a location in Wilmington to put a free standing store. That may prove to be what you're looking for, but there are already two good high end stores in that area.
          Which would be Overture and Hi Fi House. If you remember correctly Tweeter was right down the street on 202 on the North bound side for many years.

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Reminds me of when people go buy Ritz crackers at Target and then sneer at and belittle the guy that buys Ritz crackers at Wal-Mart. They taste the same to me

(sorry for the sarcasm, just attempting to make a point)
            -Chuck

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by impala454
              Reminds me of when people go buy Ritz crackers at Target and then sneer at and belittle the guy that buys Ritz crackers at Wal-Mart. They taste the same to me

(sorry for the sarcasm, just attempting to make a point)
              I think the point is that the independent A/V stores actually have components and systems on display where you can audition in person. Best Buy does not, but will gladly take your money, (to order B&W 800 Series speakers for example) after you have done your own research and trust your hard earned dollars to what you read in magazines or on the internet.

The way things are going, and unfortunatly, it does look like the independent stores are going by the way side very quickly. In the mean time, I will support these stores where I have learned most of what I know about this hobby over many years.

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

I was at Best Buy today looking at 65" TVs. I looked at some of the B&W speakers they had on display in their Magnolia department, and interestingly enough, B&W now has a three pronged protective cage over the tweeters that are sold in Best Buys. The salesman said they were having to replace too many tweeters because kids like to stick their fingers into them! :rofl:

The other thing that I thought was disturbing, is that you can now order 800 Series speakers through Best Buy Magnolia departments.
                I have a confession to make! The first thing I like to do to a strange speaker is first take the grills off to see what it looks like and then tap on the woofer to feel the woofers suspension and to hear the sound of the box/woofer tuning! :lol: I don't know why, but I always tap on the woofers, lol... Never wanted to touch the tweeters though as I know there's no real point and that they're delicate... :

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

emig5m,

You are reviving all the older threads today!
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Yes they are pushing boxes, like you I will continue shopping at my Dealer from whom I got my gear.
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                      emig5m,

You are reviving all the older threads today!
                      I haven't been around here in a while, they're new to me, heh. ops:

Comment

• browns1
                        • Jul 2006

This pretty much sums it up
                        Jerry Del Colliano takes on the big boys in the blue shirts to tell them what they need to do if they want to remain dominate, because their grip on the market is slipping and could be lost forever if they don't wise up.

Comment

• Miketr75
                          • Jun 2011

well said. Thanks for the link
                          Mike's 3D HT

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by browns1
                            Very good article and thanks for posting. I agree with everything he wrote. The Best Buy near me in King of Prussia, PA is like a ghost town on any given day, and, the area is a very large shopping mecca including having one of our nations' largest malls. Best Buy has lost its way, particularly in the past several years. They are now no more than a big version of Radio Shack, IMO.

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

They are now no more than a big version of Radio Shack, IMO.
                              I have to disagree. Best Buy is so much more than RadioShack which is basically just a cell phone store with a bunch of garbage. At least you can buy B&W speakers at Best Buy, along with say, a Xbox 360 and some games, PC parts (Best Buy was the only store in my area with the MS Natural Keyboard on a late Friday night when I needed one so I didn't have to order it or use a lesser keyboard plus their 2TB external HDs where only $10 more than even Newegg), home appliances, etc..etc.. Best Buy is so much more than just a big version of Radio Shack, IMO. And some prices have been getting better, like I said, the 2TB drive where only like $10 more than the cheapest online site and the MS Natural keyboard was also the same price as online as long as you where comparing retail packaging and not OEM packaging to retail.

Radioshack doesn't even exist to me anymore IMO...Cell phones and junk. Kinda sad, they used to sell some decent entry stereo systems back in the day. They didn't even have a common capacitor I was looking for. Why the hell is RadioShack still in business today? I only go there when I'm desperate for some decent speaker cable and banana plugs, otherwise, RadioShack is dead IMO that only sells some random junk. Best Buy might not always have the best prices (which IS highly ironic given the name of the store) but at least they have tons of variety that's readily available with some products being close to or matching online prices.

It's true that the Magnolia sections normally has nobody back there working and I'm probably in the minority here, but I kinda actually like it like this. I like going in and just looking and toying around with everything like it's my own personal home without having salesmen constantly breathing down my neck. Yea, there's time when you need a salesmen, but you can always go get one when you need one. Otherwise, I like to just browse around without being bothered by them...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"