X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beatboy77
    • Jun 2010

N802 For My Room?

I am doing a remodel of my HT/Music room. I am considering the N802's.

My room is 12.5'x20'x8'. The N802's would be roughly 12" from the side walls and 1.5' from the wall behind them.

I will also have multiple acoustic treatments throughout.

Could this work?

Thanks,

Josh
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by beatboy77
    I am doing a remodel of my HT/Music room. I am considering the N802's.

My room is 12.5'x20'x8'. The N802's would be roughly 12" from the side walls and 1.5' from the wall behind them.

I will also have multiple acoustic treatments throughout.

Could this work?

Thanks,

Josh
    I think this will work although I might sacrafice some separation to get them further off the side walls.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Josh,

I have 802D's in an 11 X 16 room, also with acoustic treatments. They sound quite amazing. They worked in that size room even before the treatments.

BTW, my 802D's are approximately in the same position relative to the two walls.

What amp would you use to drive the N802'd. A high powered amp will bring out the best performance.

So I think you should be OK with N802's in a room that size.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 29 June 2010, 21:47 Tuesday.

Comment

• beatboy77
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
        Josh,

I have 802D's in an 11 X 16 room, als with acoustic treatments. They sound quite amazing. They worked in that size room even before the treatments.

BTW, my 802D's are approximately in the same position relative to the two walls.

What amp would you use to drive the N802'd. A high powered amp will bring out the best performance.

So I think you should be OK with N802's in a room that size.

Hope this helps.
        Thanks Steve! I will be powering these with most likely a McIntosh MC252. There is also a possibility of the McIntosh MC352.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Josh,

Well, then you will be in for a treat. Until early this year, I was powering my 802D's with an MC252. That was a very good, excellent combo.

I upgraded this year to an MC402 (successor to the MC352). Awesome performance. Does everything so well. No real weaknesses.

So either of those amps will be quite good with the N802's. If the budget can afford it, the MC352 would be excellent.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• beatboy77
            • Jun 2010

Josh,

Well, then you will be in for a treat. Until early this year, I was powering my 802D's with an MC252. That was a very good, excellent combo.

I upgraded this year to an MC402 (successor to the MC352). Awesome performance. Does everything so well. No real weaknesses.

So either of those amps will be quite good with the N802's. If the budget can afford it, the MC352 would be excellent.

Hope this helps.
            Which would you recommend more for the N802's, the MC252 or MC352?

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

• specialized
              • Apr 2008

Josh,

Hope this helps.
              Did u had a chance to compare MC402 to MC501 monoblocks? If u had that chance what was the difference?

Greetings

Darko

p.s. Can u explain in details the difference between MC402 and MC252 please?

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by beatboy77
                Which would you recommend more for the N802's, the MC252 or MC352?

Thanks,

Josh

Definitely the MC352. It has a VERY quiet background, incredible soundstage and superb bass. The 352 has more amperage than the 252. As a result, it controls the bass drivers very well (on top of all the other things it does well).

If you get a 352 from a dealer (or a place like Audio Classics), look into getting the fiber optic light kit added to it. Besides 50 more watts, the other difference from the 352 to a 402 was the new light kit. Said to last longer. Other than that, the 352 and 402 are the same.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by specialized
                  Did u had a chance to compare MC402 to MC501 monoblocks? If u had that chance what was the difference?

Greetings

Darko

p.s. Can u explain in details the difference between MC402 and MC252 please?
                  Darko,

I've heard the 501's. But they were at my dealers, and I believe they were on 800D's. So I've had no direct comparison.

As to the differences between the MC252 and the MC402, here are my observations.

* The 402 has a slightly quieter background.
                  * The 402 definitely has better bass control. The bass depth and quality are definitely better.
                  * Soundstage was wider and deeper. It was wide and deep with the MC252, but it really is amazing with the 402.
                  * The 402 seems effortless. There is nothing I've thrown at it were it does not sound excellent.
                  * The 402 is 'smoother' and more 'liquid', at least to my ears.

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by htsteve; 30 June 2010, 10:27 Wednesday.

Comment

• RyanAC
                    • Jul 2010

I actually have N802 at home and have been running them with the MC352 for a few years now. (now I have two....is there ever a bad reason to have too much power?!) I have been extremely happy with the sound quality. My room is actually a bit smaller than yours and I have not run into any issues with room size. Being in the business there are many units that I can bring home however I am so happy with the combination I have right now, I have no reason to make a change.... plus I dread having to move any of those heavy thing out of the house!
                    Thank you,
                    Ryan Kilpatrick

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by RyanAC
                      I actually have N802 at home and have been running them with the MC352 for a few years now. (now I have two....is there ever a bad reason to have too much power?!) I have been extremely happy with the sound quality. My room is actually a bit smaller than yours and I have not run into any issues with room size. Being in the business there are many units that I can bring home however I am so happy with the combination I have right now, I have no reason to make a change.... plus I dread having to move any of those heavy thing out of the house!
                      Reinforced floors is the answer to many problems!
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Ryan,

Welcome to the forum! :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"