X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adriantsk
    • Jun 2010

B&w nautilus htm1

Hi all, I'm Adrian and I'm new here. Need you all advise whether I need to upgrade or not.currently I'm using onkyo pr-sc5507 power with Rotel rmb1095 and rb1080 to drive my b&w 703 front, htm7, 705 rear and Velodyne spl1200r sub. Do you all think nautilus htm1 better than my htm7 and is it match with all my others speakers?
    Pre-Pro - Onkyo Pr-Sc 5507
    Power Amplifier - Rotel RMB 1095 & Rotel RB 1080
    Speakers - B&W 700 Series
    Subwoofer - Velodyne SPL1200R
    Projector - Optoma HD20
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

adriantsk,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

As to the Nautilus HTM1, it is a great center channel (I used to own one). It will be significantly better than the HTM7. The NHTM1 is essentially an N804 on its side. It performs like a full range speaker.

So it will not exactly match your 703's, but it will be pretty close to them.
    Your front three channels would perform as three towers. And the 705 as rears will integrate very nicely. I had 705's as rear speakers with N804's and the HTM1 up front. It was a very nice system.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• adriantsk
      • Jun 2010

Thanks for your advise Htsteve..so,is that mean is worth to purchase this nhtm1? I'm quite worry that it will be very big different. Secondly is,the price is quite expensive as I'm from Malaysia.everything is expensive here cause by the taxes.
      Projector - Optoma HD20

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Yes, the HTM1 is definitely worth trying to get. From a performance perspective, it is definitely better. The HTM7 will be perfectly voice matched to your existing speakers. However, the HTM1 will outperform the HTM7 in every area: soundstage, detail, bass, etc. The HTM7 is like a bookshelf speaker. The HTM1 is a tower speaker.

Another thing to consider is that the HTM1 is a physically large speaker (1 meter wide). Much bigger thant he HTM7. I hope you have the space for it.

The issue is how much are you willing to pay for it. The added burden of local taxes do not help, but maybe you can find a deal.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• adriantsk
          • Jun 2010

Space is the not the matter...matter is the price whether is worth it or not. Here is selling at RM6000,is roughly bout US$1800.somemore it is a used item.. And then for N804 is RM25000, US$7500. I'm so confusing for this upgrade..
          Projector - Optoma HD20

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

That's not a bad price for the HTM1. I think used ones would sell here in the US for a little less. But not a lot lower. As for used B&W, I've found that people who own these tend to take good care of them. And B&W's are built very well.

For any used speaker, especially ones like the Nautilus series, find out what amplifier they drove the speaker with. If it was a reciever, I might be concerned with underpowering issues (underpowering can damage the driver). If it was an external amp, then it should be OK.

I also believe there is a bigger performance jump from the HTM7 to the HTM1 than you would see going from the 703's to the 804's. There would be an improvement going to the 804's, but the HTM1 is a BIG jump up in the center channel speaker.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• adriantsk
              • Jun 2010

Alright htsteve!!! I'll check out everything tomorrow. Thank you very much for your advise. Will come back to you tomorrow!!
              Projector - Optoma HD20

Comment

• leej
                • Feb 2009

I was looking at a similar upgrade, except that I was using a CDM cnt. I decided to save some money (and space) and bought a used HTM2, which was definitely worth the upgrade. It works well with my 703's, but I wonder if I should have gone ahead with the HTM1. Now, I wish I had.
                Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
                B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by adriantsk
                  Alright htsteve!!! I'll check out everything tomorrow. Thank you very much for your advise. Will come back to you tomorrow!!

Sounds like you can go demo it. Good. Take DVD's you are familiar with.

Hope it all works out.

Comment

• bnieman
                    • Jun 2006

I have 703 fronts. I upgraded from the HTM7 to the Nautilus HTM1 last year and it was one of the best upgrades I've ever done.

I respectfully disagree with htsteve's point "The HTM7 will be perfectly voice matched to your existing speakers." In my opinion and personal experience the HTM1 is a better voice match in addition to being a better speaker in every aspect, I think it has to do with the FST midrange driver but that is only my speculation. The HTM7 never had the same airiness as my 703 speakers and it drove me nuts when watching movies, especially during dialogue. When I upgraded the whole system sounded bigger, cleaner, and more integrated when listening to movies. The HTM1 brought it all together.

The HTM1 is the best match for the 703s that I have come across. They blend beautifully.

I recommend you get an HTM1 and hold off on anything else until you live with your system for a while. I think you will be extremely happy with your 703 + HTM1. No need to get N804 (unless you want to upgrade your rear speakers Even then it's probably a better value to get another pair of 703 speakers)

Cheers!
                    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by bnieman
                      I have 703 fronts. I upgraded from the HTM7 to the Nautilus HTM1 last year and it was one of the best upgrades I've ever done.

I respectfully disagree with htsteve's point "The HTM7 will be perfectly voice matched to your existing speakers." In my opinion and personal experience the HTM1 is a better voice match in addition to being a better speaker in every aspect, I think it has to do with the FST midrange driver but that is only my speculation. The HTM7 never had the same airiness as my 703 speakers and it drove me nuts when watching movies, especially during dialogue. When I upgraded the whole system sounded bigger, cleaner, and more integrated when listening to movies. The HTM1 brought it all together.

The HTM1 is the best match for the 703s that I have come across. They blend beautifully.

I recommend you get an HTM1 and hold off on anything else until you live with your system for a while. I think you will be extremely happy with your 703 + HTM1. No need to get N804 (unless you want to upgrade your rear speakers Even then it's probably a better value to get another pair of 703 speakers)
                      Cheers!
                      I agree 100%. I had done the same thing and also had very excellent results with the HTM1. :T

Comment

• adriantsk
                        • Jun 2010

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. I went to the shop and check out the condition is not really good. So, I didn't buy it.the speaker never take care well by the previous owner.so I didn't even try it out.. Too bad...
                        Projector - Optoma HD20

Comment

• htsteve
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Bummer.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"