X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Palforever
    • Feb 2010

Spikes questions

Just want to know what spikes do you guy used for the floorstanders 803?Is the one from soundcity good enough,that is the SBN9 and the SBN7?
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi Palforever,

for my 803D I use:

or the Soundcare is too no bad...
    (M6 for B&W speakers)

the crTech is great, but I don't know if is available in Usa...

greetings Style

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

The SBN9's should work fine. Another idea would be stands from Sound Anchors. I've used them with good results (soundstage and bass). See the link below.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

hi Palforever,

your floor is made with wood, carpet,..?

the Sound Anchors are too good (from what I have read, they are not available in europa), but at the basis from the S.Anchors you can use a extra soundcare...

Comment

• mrciave
          • Apr 2010

Hi,

I'm going to try CERAPUC under my 802Ds, I heard them under the USHER BE-10 of a friend and they make a difference...

Bid on the RGP-Domain finite-elemente.de. Bid now from and secure the domain at an early stage!
          2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• Palforever
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by style
            hi Palforever,

your floor is made with wood, carpet,..?

the Sound Anchors are too good (from what I have read, they are not available in europa), but at the basis from the S.Anchors you can use a extra soundcare...

Style,the flooring is all marble tiles

Comment

• Pio
              • Nov 2005

Hey gents - what about the B&W Spike kit? A dealer was recommending it to me - I think he told me it's around $100 per speaker.
              Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pio
                Hey gents - what about the B&W Spike kit? A dealer was recommending it to me - I think he told me it's around $100 per speaker.
                For what speakers? The 800, 801, and 802s are the only speakers that don't come with spikes, you have to order them. Each pair of those speakers gets one set of them for free if you want them.

Eric

Comment

• mrciave
                  • Apr 2010

Just bought the CERAPUC for my 802Ds and... WOW! Clarity, bass control, detail, remove the muddyness, punch.

Don't know how they would compare with the original B&W spikes, but these are universal and can be sold separately in the future... Even though I see no reason to sell them .

You could give them a try for the 803s as well.
                  Attached Files
                  2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• Pio
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                    For what speakers? The 800, 801, and 802s are the only speakers that don't come with spikes, you have to order them. Each pair of those speakers gets one set of them for free if you want them.

Eric
                    I have a pair of 802D's - I'm going to check with the dealer on why they want to charge me $100 for each kit. Thanks for the info...

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
                      • May 2010

spikes make sound better? Are you kidding me!

Comment

• mrciave
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by BowersMcIntosh
                        Have you ever tried? Decoupling the speaker from the ground is fundamental to avoid sending vibrations from the speaker to the floor, and to avoid vibration (for example from the other speakers) to reach the speaker.

Try to put a bookshelf speaker on a bookshelf or on proper stands. In case of the bookshelf, you'll realize the bookshelf itself is resonating and playing the music, just confusing everything.

In fact, it's a shame that B&W charges 200EUR/speaker in Italy for the spikes, after the price paid for speakers themselves is so high. That's why I went down the route of finding another brand of spikes/supports.

Comment

• mrciave
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                          I have a pair of 802D's - I'm going to check with the dealer on why they want to charge me $100 for each kit. Thanks for the info...
                          I contacted B&W directly on this subject. They said that WORLDWIDE spikes comes at an extra (at least for the old series, don't know for the Diamond).

This story that in US they are for free might be just an initiative of the dealers themselves.

But give it a try, might be the dealer is willing to pay for them.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mrciave
                            This story that in US they are for free might be just an initiative of the dealers themselves.
                            I'm a dealer and they don't charge the dealer or customer in the US. If there is a charge in other parts of the world it must be the local distributor making that decision.

Eric

Comment

• Pio
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by BowersMcIntosh
                              I'm a skeptic on lots of things - but it makes sense to me that raising a big speaker off the floor would make it interact less with the floor. BTW - I'm at the "fine tuning" the room stage, so its a game of millimeters for me now.

I'm positive spikes wont make anywhere near the sonic difference that good placement and bass traps will, but like I said, I'm fine tuning....

Comment

• mrciave
                                • Apr 2010

I'm a dealer and they don't charge the dealer or customer in the US. If there is a charge in other parts of the world it must be the local distributor making that decision.

Eric
                                I guess we'll never know the truth... But the point, anyway, is that on speakers of such a level and price spikes should be included.

Doesn't matter really, I'm happy with my Cerapucs

Comment

• mrciave
                                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                                  I'm a skeptic on lots of things - but it makes sense to me that raising a big speaker off the floor would make it interact less with the floor. BTW - I'm at the "fine tuning" the room stage, so its a game of millimeters for me now.

I'm positive spikes wont make anywhere near the sonic difference that good placement and bass traps will, but like I said, I'm fine tuning....
                                  Basically I think the effect is different. While speaker placement and bass traps work on how the sound goes from the speaker to the listener through the ambient, I see spikes as something that just puts the speaker in the best condition to work.

B&W wouldn't bother to decouple tweeter from midrange and midrange from bass unit, by elastic suspension, if it would not change anything... But the decoupling between bass and ground is up to us.

I'm also at the fine tuning stage (or maybe I'm one step backwards, I'm refining the position), and find these big monsters quite sensitive in terms of toe-in... I was used to toe-in changing only soundstage and focus on my small bookshelf speakers, but here it's a matter of timbric balance as well. Guess the road is still uphill, but it's a pleasant uphill.

Comment

• Pio
                                    • Nov 2005

....I'm also at the fine tuning stage (or maybe I'm one step backwards, I'm refining the position), and find these big monsters quite sensitive in terms of toe-in... I was used to toe-in changing only soundstage and focus on my small bookshelf speakers, but here it's a matter of timbric balance as well. Guess the road is still uphill, but it's a pleasant uphill.
                                    I couldnt agree more! In my room just a hair of toe in works best for me. Too much and the sound stage is way too narrow for my taste.

I'm having issues with bass at 80, 60, 40 and 20hz - the room just loves to suck up those frequencies. So, I'm looking into tube traps from ASC or Real Traps.

On the issue of the spikes, my original dealer in Miami, Fl came back with a $275 PER kit price. I asked him if a kiss came included with that.... he didnt think it was funny...

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Pio,

I have the Real Trap Bass Traps. They work quite well.

Your dealer should be able to send the serial numbers and proof of purchase to B&W and they will ship the spikes directly to you. That is what my dealer did. Worked quite well.

If your dealer isn't helpful, call B&W directly.

The spikes definitely help.

Hope this helps.
                                      Last edited by htsteve; 06 July 2010, 18:49 Tuesday.

Comment

• caberxx
                                        • Jan 2010

I just received my new 802 Diamonds (in Canada). They came with spikes at no charge. The kit is a dual kit. Rubber feet on one end, but flip them over and there are spikes on the other. I used the rubber side until I got the speakers where I wanted them, then flipped them over to use the spikes. I can confirm there is a huge improvement. The entire sound is fuller. The bass much tighter and more dynamic.

I have also ordered a pair of DB1 subwoofers. Dealer tells me those come with spikes as well.

Comment

• htsteve
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

caberxx,

That's certainly a sweet main speaker and sub set-up. What is the rest of your system. What are the amps?

Comment

• timjclark
                                            • Apr 2009

I just installed the Soundcare SuperSpikes on my 803S's last week. I had been using the rubber spikes that came from B&W. So far, I am hearing great improvement in my speakers. Some listening material that was muddy in the bass has been tightened up without any frequency response loss. I'm very happy with the superspikes on my hardwood floors as I can now actually slide a speaker when I want to very easily and yet the speakers are still spiked.
                                            -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                            -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                            -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                            -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                            -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                            -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• caberxx
                                              • Jan 2010

Thanks. For amps, I have 4 Classe CA-M400 mono blocks (2 for each of the 802 diamonds). The preamp is the Classe CP-700; the CD player is the Classe CDP-202; interconnect cables are XLR Chord Indigo Plus; speaker cables are Chord Signature Plus. For HT, I have the Rotel 1570 processor and 1575 5 channel amp for the 4 surround speakers (B&W SCM-S) and centre channel (Mirage). As you can see, my first love is 2 channel audio - the HT stuff is far less important to me.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

caberxx,

Very nice set-up. Have you done acoustic treatments to your room? You are pretty set for equipment, so the room would be the next logical thing to look at.

Comment

• caberxx
                                                  • Jan 2010

Sort of. I have some ASC tube traps in the corners behind the system, but that's it. I've been holding off, as we're planning to finish the basement in the house next summer, and that will include construction of a dedicated sound proof room for my equipment. Right now, it's in an open concept family room, which means I can't listen to it as much as I want to (and stay married).

Comment

• caberxx
                                                    • Jan 2010

I should also mention another item that has made a huge improvement - a Shunyata Hydra VRay-II power supply on a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the amps, cd and pre. The subs, TV and everything else is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit with a Shunyata Hydra 8. The power cords to the amps, pre and cd are Shunyata Python cords; the power cord to the VRay-II is a Shunyata Anaconda. While I was at it, I also put audiophile fuses in everything. Not sure if they made a difference though, as I added them at the same time as the power cords. A big improvement, but I just don't know if it was the cords, the fuses or both. Finally, everything is sitting on its own Ginko platform - don't know if they made a difference, but they sure look cool. Once I get it all set up (subs won't be here until end of July), I'll post some pics.

Comment

• Pio
                                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
                                                      Pio,

I have the Real Trap Bass Traps. They work quite well.

Your dealer should be able to send the serial numbers and proof of purchase to B&W and they will ship the spikes directly to you. That is what my dealer did. Worked quite well.

If your dealer isn't helpful, call B&W directly.

The spikes definitely help.

Hope this helps.
                                                      htsteve,

I'm looking into Real Traps and also Ready Acoustics for further treatment.

PS - just got the spike kit from Modia in Dallas - free of cost, just had to provide serial #s and receipt.

The board saved me over $600!!!

Comment

• htsteve
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by caberxx
                                                        Sort of. I have some ASC tube traps in the corners behind the system, but that's it. I've been holding off, as we're planning to finish the basement in the house next summer, and that will include construction of a dedicated sound proof room for my equipment. Right now, it's in an open concept family room, which means I can't listen to it as much as I want to (and stay married).

ASC tube traps are a very good place to start.

You will love a dedicated room. We finished our basement a couple of years ago and also put in a dedicated HT room. It's a wonderful room.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

Pio,

Good news on getting the spikes. Let us know your impression once they are on.

Comment

• mrciave
                                                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Pio
                                                            The board saved me over $600!!!
                                                            Are you prepared to share the money with us :W ?

Comment

• TYE
                                                              • Sep 2008

What would you guys recommend for XT4s that will be on a hardwood floor? Discs the spikes from the XT4 can sit in, or is there a better solution?

Comment

• Pio
                                                                • Nov 2005

Are you prepared to share the money with us :W ?
                                                                HA! Checks in the mail.... :lol:

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2004

Pio,

How are the spikes. What differences have you noticed.

Comment

• Pio
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
                                                                    Pio,

How are the spikes. What differences have you noticed.
                                                                    htsteve,

I havent put them on yet, was waiting for a new couch and I knew I was going to be moving them around so I wanted to do that before. As soon as I put them on I will let you know.

Comment

• jlr_1304
                                                                      • Aug 2005

Is it recommended to add something hard under the spikes if the speakers are directly on a carpet? if feel they are not that solidly anchored on the ground.

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                                                                        Is it recommended to add something hard under the spikes if the speakers are directly on a carpet? if feel they are not that solidly anchored on the ground.

Are you referring to the 802 sized speakers? If yes, I'm surprised. Once spiked, the 802's are very solid. That was one of the first things I noticed.

Or are you asking about a general spikes question? Good spikes will go through the carpet and pad and grab the floor, assuming the spikes are long enough. I've not really heard of adding something hard on the carpet to help stabilize. Long enough spike should do the trick.

Another consideration is to get speaker stands. I personally like Sound Anchors. They've worked for me quite well.

Some speakers that are tall with a small footprint will likely have some wiggle in them.

Hope this helps.
                                                                        Last edited by htsteve; 06 August 2010, 12:36 Friday.

Comment

• y2kavengeres
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • May 2008

if the spikes are all the way into the carpet, and the speakers are level, they should feel stable.
                                                                          Pioneer Elite SC-05
                                                                          B&W 804
                                                                          B&W 805
                                                                          B&W HTM4
                                                                          Rega Planet CD player

Comment

• Pio
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 169

The B&W Spikes give you the option of spikes or sturdy rubber feet. They look pretty damn impressive!

Comment

• SonImagesHIFI
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2012
                                                                              • 2

#39
                                                                              Spikes...

I hope they would included those spikes in the boxes... I bought/ordered a pair of B&W 802 Diamond last week and i should have them sometime this week end of next... very very excited ... I like those factory spikes...they look great...
                                                                              Sonny
                                                                              Please see the spikes on the link...

Eric

Comment

• SonImagesHIFI
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2012
                                                                                • 2

#40
                                                                                B&W 802 DIAMOND... SPIKES

I am from Ottawa... I should get my new pair of B&W 802 Diamond sometime next week... i hope my pair come with the spikes too...

Originally posted by caberxx
                                                                                I just received my new 802 Diamonds (in Canada). They came with spikes at no charge. The kit is a dual kit. Rubber feet on one end, but flip them over and there are spikes on the other. I used the rubber side until I got the speakers where I wanted them, then flipped them over to use the spikes. I can confirm there is a huge improvement. The entire sound is fuller. The bass much tighter and more dynamic.

I have also ordered a pair of DB1 subwoofers. Dealer tells me those come with spikes as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"