X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

Floor protectors - spikes

Hey Gang-
    Im waiting on a pair of Sound Anchors that should be here in a few days. I have hardwood floors & the stands have spikes. What are some good options for the spikes? I saw the conecoasters at soundanchors.com & was wondering what other items are readily available. Has anyone had any luck with any type of caster/coaster etc from a hardware store? I saw a few items on audiogon, but im looking for a low cost/DIY solution for now.

Thanks!
    Carter
  • OakIris
    • Dec 2003

Audiopoints sells floor protectors for their cones - they are cheaper than the conecoasters, but may still be more than you want to pay: http://www.audiopoints.com/shopping.html - the APCD Coupling disks. These should work for the stand spikes.

At hardware stores, you can buy felt pads, or furniture leg casters, but those things might (probably would) defeat the purpose of the spikes - coupling the stand to the floor so that vibration is dissipated.

I would think that the spikes don't come pre-installed. Surely they just come packaged with the stands for the end user to install. Just leave them off until you find what you want to use to protect the hardwood floor.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
      • May 2003

I was using floor spikes with the divoted protectors until i went to move my unit.
      The spike came out of the divot when it hit a small gap in the hardwood and punched a huge hole right in my brand new floor.

Needless to say i ripped off every spike i had, then went to home depot and picked up a couple packs of those small, rubber, transparent, peel and stick feet..
      You know the ones, they're circular and smaller then the size of a dime.
      They have some vibational absorbtion properties and were easy/cheap ($5) to install.

Try not to over-analyse the problem, and you really don't need state of the art high mass cones to make your gear sound better.
      Think of the house resale.

my $0.02

Cheers, and good luck,
      Mikey
      "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
      -Dark Helmet

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

I believe I've seen people do something as simple as putting a penny under each spike... the metal will probalby divit a bit so the spike wont easily move off it and protect your floors at the same time. I'd do a search if you haven't already.

AJ
        AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• aaron
          • Aug 2004

Foot plates protect your floors, drawers, audio racks and desktops, use these floor pads, bumper guards, roll-out protectors and leveling feet.

I bought these. Work great. Look nice too.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
            • Jan 2005

Madisound.com sells a set of spikes for the DIYer that comes with the t-nut, the spike, and the floor protector. They're $1.05 each and work beautifully.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Scroll down to part number "YLC". I've used these on some of my DIY speaker projects, and although I think the t-nuts suck, the spikes themselves and the floor protectors are great.

Comment

• jclyle
              • Feb 2005

I ended up using some floor protectors from Adona Corporation. They were like $2 a piece and work very well. They are similar to the ones at madisound.com. I suggest if you are using them on hardwood floors that you put a piece of felt under the disc so they won't dimple the floors. If you use the disc only, it may leave an indentation in the floor.

Comment

• Kyle
                • Jan 2005

I use Quadraspires from Audioadvisor:

Aside from the price, I've been happy with them.
                My gear

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"