X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dspgolf
    • May 2010

803D vs. New 803 Diamond?

Has anyone auditioned the new 803 Diamond and if so what are the differences that you heard? I Have the old 803d and just wanted to see if anyone thinks the new ones are a significant upgrade in sound quality?

Thanks,
    D

:roll:
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dspgolf
    Has anyone auditioned the new 803 Diamond and if so what are the differences that you heard? I Have the old 803d and just wanted to see if anyone thinks the new ones are a significant upgrade in sound quality?

Thanks,
    D

I've heard both. While it was about a year apart, I feel confident in saying that the overall character of the two is very close. The new 803 might have a bit more detail up top. I would not say that there is a significant difference between the old and new.

Comment

• brb01
      • Mar 2010

I will let you know when I get my new 803 diamond. I had the old 803d's and have the new ones on order. Hopefully they will be in soon.

Comment

• BowersMcIntosh
        • May 2010

Originally posted by dspgolf

Thanks,
        D

I have the 803d at home and compared it with 803d2 at the dealer with same amplification, my opinion is... the 803d2 is a bit harsh to my ears.

Comment

• tore_v1
          • May 2010

Was the 803 Diamond broken in, or rather new?

I've heard the 805 Diamond, and was rather taken by the sound.

I have, however, gotten a good offer on the "old" 803D, and I'm considering this offer compared to the new 803 Diamond. The rest of my system comprises of the Muse Model Three Hundred monoblocks, Musical Fidelity pre, and a Sota Comet with DL304 from Denon and a DDDAC, maxed out version..

Any thoughts - will it be worth £600 more for the new Diamond, or should I go for the old one at a very nice price?

Comment

• AV-OCD
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tore_v1
            Was the 803 Diamond broken in, or rather new?

I've heard the 805 Diamond, and was rather taken by the sound.

I have, however, gotten a good offer on the "old" 803D, and I'm considering this offer compared to the new 803 Diamond. The rest of my system comprises of the Muse Model Three Hundred monoblocks, Musical Fidelity pre, and a Sota Comet with DL304 from Denon and a DDDAC, maxed out version..

Any thoughts - will it be worth £600 more for the new Diamond, or should I go for the old one at a very nice price?
            FYI - In the 800 Diamond Series owners manual, it states that the break-in time is just 15 hours.

Personally, I did not find the 803Di harsh. And to these ears, the 803D and 803Di are close enough that I would go for the "nice price".

Comment

• SoundEngine355
              • Feb 2008

The 803di is the same midrange and tweeter as the old 803d with the same crossover! So there should be no change in sonics in that area, As for the bass well they have newer drivers which might sound better.
              SoundEngine355

-------------------
              [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                The 803di is the same midrange and tweeter as the old 803d with the same crossover! So there should be no change in sonics in that area, As for the bass well they have newer drivers which might sound better.
                That is not the case. The tweeters are all new in all of the 800 Diamond Series speakers as is the crossover. The only things that stayed the same are the midrange and cabinet.

Eric

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Hallo,

I agree with Eric.

The Tweeter is verydifferent: yes is in Diamant but in place of 2 "support" are 5 now in the the serie, the xover is changed,...

well, end next week I sendyou the pictures from MY new 803D2. :T

greetings Style

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                    Hallo,

I agree with Eric.

The Tweeter is verydifferent: yes is in Diamant but in place of 2 "support" are 5 now in the the serie, the xover is changed,...

well, end next week I sendyou the pictures from MY new 803D2. :T

greetings Style
                    Congratulations Omar. Let me know how you like your new speakers after you get them setup in your system. :T

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                      That is not the case. The tweeters are all new in all of the 800 Diamond Series speakers as is the crossover. The only things that stayed the same are the midrange and cabinet.

Eric

I stand corrected, just watched the information video. Tweeter is indeed "improved".
                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"