X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mage
    • Mar 2010

WPC vs. Recommended amplifier power

I have been trying to figure out what Emotiva amps to pick up for my system. I have 804's fronts, an HTM3s center and 4 DS7's for rears (7.1).

I am 40% music, 60% home theatre.

804s = 50W – 200W into 8 ohm
    HTM3s = 50W – 250W into 8 ohm
    DS7 = 25W – 120W into 8 ohm

My current thought is an XPA-3 for the front stage and two UPA-2's for the rears. I'm curious what other combinations people would consider and why.

My reasoning on the UPA-2's is they are closer to the 25W-120W reccomendation for the rears.
    But, I might replace the sides with DS8's if I find a set at a reasonable price...
    Last edited by Mage; 29 April 2010, 14:10 Thursday.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Don't worry about the recommended power. All B&W speakers love power. I feed 200watts (Emotiva XPA-5) to a pair of B&W 600 S3, FPM-2, and 805's. They're all rated for under 200 watt.
    Are you using a receiver as your pre? IF you are using a receiver, you could get an XPA-5 (200x5), and power the last pair with the receiver. Just one idea.
    You could wait for the 7 channel 400watt amp they're making. (That's MONSTER!)
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• theblue
      • Dec 2009

I second the comment about never too much power sitting in reserve. I would consider two mono-blocks (for the 804s) and then a 5 channel for the rest.

Then again, if it was me I'd probably look on audiogon for something crazy that's a few years old for the same money. It's not like amp technology has progressed much over the last decade.
      Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
      rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
      B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
      a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• Mage
        • Mar 2010

I misquoted the 804s recommended. It's 50W – 200W into 8 ohm.
        I am running an HK AVR 635 for now. I plan on getting amps this year and getting the UMC-1 later or maybe the XMC-1 if it ever becomes real.

Can you guys point to a link explaining why too much power isn't bad for the speakers? I'm an engineer and I would simply like to understand this better before pulling the trigger.

I think the Monoblocks are out of my price range for now. So maybe an XPA-5 for the center and rears, and an XPA-2 for the fronts. I wish they would just make an XPA-7 @ 200 WPC...

Comment

• theblue
          • Dec 2009

no link is needed as it's as simple as understanding that you're only using as much power as you request via the volume knob (with hidden background factors like any EQ). If your speakers are requesting more current than the amp can provide you're going to get distortion. However if you have more power (ability) than the speakers request at a given volume then you simply don't use it. (does it hurt a Ferrari to drive below the speed limit?)

You just have to be smart and understand that you now will have the ability to overdrive the speakers if you ignore distortion and turn it up too loud. More people kill speakers by under-powering than by over-powering - in both cases it's normally due to ignoring the signs of distortion.
          Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
          rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
          B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
          a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Yep... Distortion kills speakers... The speakers will distort when being played to loud and an amp will distort/clip when being overdriven.

Watch out for both... Of course you can control when you make it too loud and the speaker distorts... You won't know that the amp is beyond what it can do until its too late (unless you have soft clipping or protection on the amp)..
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Under powering can damage a speaker. Over powering won't... unless by human error.

I think theblue made a good suggestion as well. Two mono blocks and one 5 channel amp.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"