X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chucka
    • Aug 2009

805D on a Bookshelf

While I see most saying they run or will run their 8o5D (or S) on stands, how do they work on an actual bookshelf? What are the drawbacks? Does anyone here run 805's on a bookshelf?

Chucka
  • AV-OCD
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Chucka
    While I see most saying they run or will run their 8o5D (or S) on stands, how do they work on an actual bookshelf? What are the drawbacks? Does anyone here run 805's on a bookshelf?

Chucka
    The 805D has very good bass performance for a smaller speaker. Unfortunately, any time you place a speaker with good bass next to a boundary (wall, floor, shelf), you run the risk of ending up with too much bass and a muddy / boomy sound. Though, you can adress a good deal of this excessive bass caused by "boundary rienforcement" with EQ, like Audyssey (Denon), MCACC (Pioneer), and YPAO (Yamaha). If you don't plan to use a prepro / preamp that has EQ, I would not recommend bookshelf placement, and even with EQ, the sound will not compare to having the speakers on proper stands away from the walls.

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chucka

Chucka
      will kill the sound stage depth as well, plus with all the issues of reflections from surfaces in lose proximity as a result of location close to walls.

bass boost dues to boundary effects as mentioned by tim can be improved on some way by xing them off to a sub.

but in my opinion one of the worst things you can do is put a bookshelf speaker on a bookshelf ! they should be called standmount speakers instead !
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
        • May 2008

In my 2.1 system I have to use my bookshelves for the 805s to sit in, I have no other choice...I do run another set of them on stands in my dining room next door, so I have been able to compare the differences pretty easily.

Since I use the REL 305 for bass the 805s don't get the boominess they normally would. Also the sound stage is not as deep, though not dramatically different.

So ideally of course I would love to get rid of the bookshelves, but I don't want to be single...so they are staying...

Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
          So ideally of course I would love to get rid of the bookshelves, but I don't want to be single...so they are staying...

Another reason for a place with a basement to make a man cave

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"