X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesdaman
    • Apr 2008

Need Some Help..... Please :)

Hi there everyone thank you very much for taking some time to read this and help me out. My current set up is B&W 805S Quad 909 Quad 99 (power and pre) Cyrus CD8SE with PSX-R. Now im literaly in the middle of buying some 803D's. I wasnt planning on buying new speakers but im getting these and a complete steal. Now my problem is that im really very unsure about the 909 powering these beast, as i hadnt planned on buying them basicly im over budget already lol. So im probably going to have to sell the 909 (im guessing) and buy something else, but what is the something else. I need something good powerful and dare i saying it, cheap. Im thinking along the lines of rotel emotiva wyred4sound or something along those lines, i need some help as to what to get. Also im really unsure as to what ill recoupe for the 909, i know a source is important but i dont know whether to sell the CD player with the power supple buy a DAC something like the chord gem and use my netbook for source, sell my 909 99 and cd and buy good enough amps and buy a cd player at another time. Im guessing the amps are more important right now then the cd?? Anyways some help would be brilliant, thank you for your time guys
  • MikeFL52
    • Oct 2007

Before buying another pre-amp/amp combo I would listen to your current system. Quad amps tend to be high current designs and I would think it would have no problem driving the 803Ds.

Comment

• jamesdaman
      • Apr 2008

That's at least some good news can I just ask
      a silly question..... What did people pay for there 803D's?

Comment

• Relentless
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jamesdaman
        That's at least some good news can I just ask
        a silly question..... What did people pay for there 803D's?
        Are the 803D's new, used, dealer demo? I see them going for around $5500 used. The new line is coming out so I would expect that to go down slightly as people start to upgrade and want to sell. If a dealer has a new pair you may be able to get him down to the 6000+ range depending on how badly he wants to unload them. I live in a place where there are a number of B&W dealers so competition is strong but in a city where there are only a couple dealers it may be harder to get them to bend.
        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
        Lou

Comment

• jamesdaman
          • Apr 2008

They are used but very lightly, I'm paying..... Wait for
          it..... £1800 but back to the amp, I'm still slightly confused :s

Comment

• Glenee
            • Aug 2006

Inside of your criteria, MONEY. I am sure there are more out there, but these are two suggestions, and I have or Do own them both.
            Emotiva XPA-1 $1000.00 each $2000.00/pair NEW $1600.00 USED
            Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 $1200.00 each $2400.00/pair NEW $2000 USED
            Both of these are fine Amps and will serve you well now and in the future.
            If this is too much, let me know and I will make some used recommendations from Audiogon.
            But I will only recommend Amps I have owned.
            I travel to the Netherlands Quite Often and I am always suprised at how much cheaper B&W speakers are there versus the U.S.
            Amsterdam is the only place I see B&W Discounted right up front.
            There is a very large Audio/Video Dealer in South Amsterdam, I think the Largest in the Netherlands. I saw 805S at 1400.00 Euro/pair. 802D's 6000.00 Euro/pair. And So On.

Comment

• jamesdaman
              • Apr 2008

What about the xpa-2 is there a big differnce between that and the xpa-1?

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

Great price for the 803Ds! That really is a steal, especially if they are in mint condition. Some of the amps already mentioned are good choices with a lot of power, though they are quite big being monoblocks. If space is a consideration, another recommendation would be the Rotel RB-1092 which is a Class D stereo amp that pumps 500 watts per channel, and around the same price as the other amps mentioned. Definitely enough power for the 803Ds. It is also relatively small, not much bigger than an old-school DVD player, and can be placed inside a cabinet as being Class D it runs very cool. Personally I use it for my 802Ds and they sound great. :T

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

Never owned or heard a XPA-2. I know there has to be a difference, just looking at the 2.

Comment

• Old Sparkey
                    • Jan 2010

I've just upgraded my 30 year old 802 series 80 speakers to 803D. £1800 for a pair of 803D is ridiculously cheap IMHO (same price as CM9) - hell, even £1800 each would have been a good deal if they are in "like new" condition.

I am still using the electronics I used to drive my old 802s, i.e. Quad 66 CD, Quad 34 Pre, Quad 606 Power. The 803D's are reasonably sensitive and the Quad 606 drives them easily. The 909 is rated at 140watts (8ohm) and 250watts (4ohm) compared to my 606 which is 140watts (8ohm) and 220watts (4ohm).

Unless you listen at insane volumes then I'm sure your existing amplifier will be just fine - don't get carried away with the idea that you always need massive power to drive B&Ws. Remember you need to double amplifier power just to get an extra 3dB of volume.

Enjoy your 803Ds and let us know how you get on with the Quad 909 driving them.
                    Last edited by Old Sparkey; 22 March 2010, 17:51 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

From the specs alone yes it seems that the XPA-1 is much better

• Number of Channels: 1
                      • Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
                      • Power output (all channels driven):
                      1,000 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD) 500 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
                      • Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power

• Broadband Frequency Response: (-3db): 5Hz to 150kHz
                      • Amplifier Gain: 32db
                      • Signal to Noise Ratio 1 watt: >89db Full Power: >117db
                      • Input Impedance: Unbalanced – 20kohms Balanced – 18kohm
                      • Transformer Size: 1,200VA
                      • Secondary capacitance: 120,000uF
                      • Output Devices: 24
                      Size: 17” W x 7.75” H x 19.5” D (depth is measured from front faceplate to end of protective rear panel rubber pieces)
                      Weight: 75 lbs (89 lbs boxed)

FEATURES:
                      • True Differential Reference design.
                      • Advanced microprocessor operating system
                      • Discrete front end.
                      • Fully balanced quad differential input stage.
                      • Darlington VAS stage with optimized C dominant pole.
                      • External Trigger: 3-12 Volts DC (tip positive)
                      • Fully protected from all fault conditions
                      • External trigger input/output (3-12 Volts DC - tip positive)
                      • Soft touch power switch
                      • 4RU chassis w/solid milled aluminum faceplate
                      • IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable
                      • Laser etched serial number on faceplate.
                      • High resolution LED metering (defeatable).

XPA-2

• Number of Channels: 2
                      • Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
                      • Power output (all channels driven): 500 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
                      300 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
                      • Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power
                      • Broadband Frequency Response: (-3db): 5Hz to 150kHz
                      • Amplifier Gain: 32db
                      • Signal to Noise Ratio: 1 watt: >91db Full Power: >110db
                      • Input Impedance: Unbalanced - 23.5kohms Balanced - 33kohm
                      • Transformer Size: 1,200VA
                      • Secondary capacitance: 45,000uF
                      • Output Devices: 12 per channel
                      Size: 17” W x 7.75” H x 19” D Weight: 75 lbs (89 lbs boxed)

FEATURES:
                      • Fully protected from all fault conditions
                      • Soft start circuitry
                      • External trigger turn on
                      • Soft touch power switch
                      • 4RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate
                      • IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable
                      • Output design: Triple Darlington with On output stages
                      • Differential Drive: Dual Differential input
                      • Types of inputs: Balanced (XLR) and Un-balanced (RCA)
                      • Type of outputs: Audiophile quality 5 way binding post
                      • Display type: Digital status indicators
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• jamesdaman
                        • Apr 2008

Well I'm sorry to say but the deal went sour, turned
                        out to be someone trying to con me through eBay. I'm beyond gutted

Comment

• MikeFL52
                          • Oct 2007

My condolences, when you set your heart on something, it's difficult to be dissapointed like that.

The old adage which you see a lot on these forums "If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is" often is the case (not trying to sound glib).

Luckily you found out before parting with any money and hopefully you will still find something that will satisfy your need to upgrade.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                            • Mar 2008

Wow, that really sucks, sorry to hear about that. :evil:

It might be good for you to share the details so others will be forewarned as well.

Comment

• Glenee
                              • Aug 2006

The Bright Side is you found out, before things got too far along to get really Ugly.
                              There will be other Deals. Not that Good, But ones you will be much happier with, I can assure you.
                              I did see a pair of 803S Sell for $1400.00 on Audiogon this week.

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Not surprised lots of scammers out there be safe
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• scanido
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
                                  The Bright Side is you found out, before things got too far along to get really Ugly.
                                  There will be other Deals. Not that Good, But ones you will be much happier with, I can assure you.
                                  I did see a pair of 803S Sell for $1400.00 on Audiogon this week.
                                  wow $1400, I hope that is for each speaker otherwise that's unheard of!! :E

Comment

• Glenee
                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                    wow $1400, I hope that is for each speaker otherwise that's unheard of!! :E
                                    Nope it was a pair. They are still listed as Sold. When I aquired about them, He said that they had just Sold for $1400.

Comment

• scanido
                                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
                                      Nope it was a pair. They are still listed as Sold. When I aquired about them, He said that they had just Sold for $1400.
                                      Ah i see the listing. Those were the N803. Even still that was a phenomenal deal! That is one lucky buyer!

Comment

• Glenee
                                        • Aug 2006

Sorry for not listing as N803's. I just got the S behind 803 and did not use ' after s.
                                        Still a good deal right. If He's not a scammer.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"