X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Considering adding Quad to 700 series system

I intend to audition a Quad 909 (140w X 2) power amp in my 705 based HT/music system to improve the 2ch sound. While I am waiting for one to become available for audition I would be interested if anyone else has tried this amp with B&Ws.

system is
    Nad T562 DVD
    Marantz 7300ose (110 watt)
    705 & HTM7 & Rel Strata 5

I intend to use my Marantz as the pre-amp for the front left and right speakers. Apart from wanting to sweeten the 2 channel sound, I am hoping to tame the 705s tweeter. The highs are fine for movies but I would like a smoother sound for CDs. The reviews of the Quad suggest that it may achieve a nice synergy with the small B&Ws. http://www.stereotimes.com/amp081602.shtm

140watts may be more than the 705s need but I have read that they benefit from the best electronics that you can afford to throw at them. A decent power amp would also be useful should I go for towers in the future.

Any Quad-rupeds out there?
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

I haven't heard them with B&W but I did audition the 909 amp with a pair of 989 electrostats and the combination blew me away. I'm not really all that good at describing what the sound did "sound" like but I can tell you that I could have easily sat there for the entire day re-listening to my cd collection. To date the best sound I've heard ... I have yet to here my cd's sound so good as they did that day

I can't tell you much about the amp itself as I did not get the hear amp seperately or compare it with any other, I was more interesting in the ESL's

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

I heard the Quad setup with 805s and it did sound very good in the demo room.

Full quad system being the CD player and the 909 (the CD player has a built in volume control).

Was impressed for the money.

Comment

• JürgenW
        • Jul 2004

My old Quad 606 do wonderful with B&W CDM9NT and Matrix 801.

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Thanks guys. The 606 appears to be an earlier model of similar design and power to the 909. It will be interesting to see how the current incarnation sounds. I will attempt a bit of a review when the amp arrives for its audition.

Out of curiosity I grabbed my 1970s Nakamichi 620 100w power amp from under the house just to see what it would do. Even using cheap 'n' nasty interconnects and speaker cable it still managed to improve on the sound. I will not leave the Nak in the system however as I suspect it may be a fire hazard. It has an on/off switch that operates the light on the front panel but not the amp itself which does not switch off.

I am starting to see (or is that hear) why many of you guys prefer using pre and power amps with your B&Ws instead of a receiver.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Quad can do when it arrives!!
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"