X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

B&W Longevity?

I am in a position where I am currently upgrading my speakers.

1st Option
    HTM1 and N802's. I am currently looking for the HTM1 and will purchase the 802's next year. One step at a time.

2nd Option
    HTM3S this year and 804S next year.

I am leaning towards the 1st option right now, but worried about the age of thr speakers by the time I finish the system upgrade end of next year. What is the lifespan of these speakers. My current set-up I have had for 8 years and still sounds great. Should I be worried about the age of the speakers, or are they like a fine wine, better with age....
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Option 1!

That's the way I was going to go until I decided that I'm betting the Ardents are going to sound better than the 802s. So I figured I'd try my handy work out on those with the help of WKHanna (we're going to build 2 sets). After hearing the Nat Ps, I was too impressed to not try building the Ardents at a lot less than the 802s.

But if I was sticking with B&W, 802s for sure. If I got the 804s I'd be wondering what I'm missing.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Armbender
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
      Option 1!

That's the way I was going to go until I decided that I'm betting the Ardents are going to sound better than the 802s. So I figured I'd try my handy work out on those with the help of WKHanna (we're going to build 2 sets). After hearing the Nat Ps, I was too impressed to not try building the Ardents at a lot less than the 802s.

But if I was sticking with B&W, 802s for sure. If I got the 804s I'd be wondering what I'm missing.
      thats exactly what I was thinking...

^^good luck on your build^^
      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• KyaDawn
        • Mar 2008

Another forum member just upgraded their 802 Matrix Series 2 (I believe) to 802Di's so I don't think longevity is an issue.

What is an issue is the condition of the speakers. But if the HTM1 and N802s are in decent shape, then personally I think they would be the better option.

Comment

• Armbender
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by KyaDawn
          Another forum member just upgraded their 802 Matrix Series 2 (I believe) to 802Di's so I don't think longevity is an issue.

What is an issue is the condition of the speakers. But if the HTM1 and N802s are in decent shape, then personally I think they would be the better option.
          excellent. This should be a decent upgrade over my current system...

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Where can you get the HTM3S? I am looking for one..
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
              My current set-up I have had for 8 years and still sounds great. Should I be worried about the age of the speakers, or are they like a fine wine, better with age....
              My 802N are 9 years old still kicking if you take care of them and have good amplification they should last 20 Years :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Armbender
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                Where can you get the HTM3S? I am looking for one..
                They pop up on audiogon every once in awhile

Comment

• Armbender
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                  My 802N are 9 years old still kicking if you take care of them and have good amplification they should last 20 Years :T
                  I'll be running my emotiva xpa-5 in 3ch mode at 250wpc for the front end, hopefully that will do until I can get a pass labs x250

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Option 1. I would take an N802 over 804S any day of the week. And I like the 804S, I currently have a pair.

Well treated, they should be like fine wine.

Happy hunting.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

I agree with others and say go for Option 1.

I wouldn't worry about speaker longevity as speakers usually are the longest lasting component in a system.

If anything did go wrong you can be assured that parts will be readily available! Heck you could even change out all the drive units and the speakers would practically be new!!

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
                        I'll be running my emotiva xpa-5 in 3ch mode at 250wpc for the front end, hopefully that will do until I can get a pass labs x250
                        Get the mono blocks from Emotiva :T
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"